2023 Elk options

nvguy2

Ok. I know these questions probably get old especially to those who know certain units really well but curious what people think. I have 22 NR points. Been holding out for Manti early but not fond of the new 5 day hunt. One freak storm or vehicle problem sure throws a monkey wrench. I’d like a hunt with more time. I’m considering switching to Manti Muzzleloader. My brother has 18 points. We could pony but assuming people jump like me, it’s no guarantee. I’m getting anxious and ready to burn. Looking at odds and wonder if I should consider other hunts. Hunted Manti one other time but no expert. Don’t here much about the Mid hunt. Any knowledge or experience on that one. We could probably draw that together. Should I be looking at other units for Muzz or Mid like Fishlake or LaSal. Any input/advice appreciated. Mid starts right after Muzz and curious about that hunt. I’m all over and just ready to draw. Maybe getting too anxious.

Don’t have too much info as far as the manti goes. Know a bit about some other units near by that you could draw if you want to talk about those, you can PM me.
But as far as Mid season vs muzzeloader, I’d go muzzeloader all day. You get 3 extra days on your hunt then the deer hunters, where you shouldn't have to much other pressure and it’s prime rut. The mid season starts to get a bit tougher. If you don’t kill your bull in the first day or two, they start to really get tough to find. You will have a ton of spike hunters out there.

Don’t have too much info as far as the manti goes. Know a bit about some other units near by that you could draw if you want to talk about those, you can PM me.
But as far as Mid season vs muzzeloader, I’d go muzzeloader all day. You get 3 extra days on your hunt then the deer hunters, where you shouldn't have to much other pressure and it’s prime rut. The mid season starts to get a bit tougher. If you don’t kill your bull in the first day or two, they start to really get tough to find. You will have a ton of spike hunters out there.
PM sent. Thank You!

LE muzzy hunt might be the best of all the hunts in my opinion if you like hunting rutting bulls. Find the best muzzy unit you can draw, or the one that you know best, and go for it. I would also take the muzzy hunt over the mid season rifle hunt every time.
Kinda what I thought. Manti is the only unit I have been on for limited entry elk. My Dad drew the Early in 2013. Really enjoyed it but only hunted a small area so I’m no expert by any means. I think I could draw it next year with my points. Just looking at all my options. Some of the popular units are tough odds because they only give 1 NR tag. No point creep and no bonus tag.

Manti is a great unit lots of bulls I went on a LE muzzy hunt in 09 with a friend it was a blast. You’ve got to sift through a lot of nice bulls to kill a big bull. Nebo has some great bulls and would be a fun muzzy hunt. But who knows what odds will be.

Muzzy would certainly be a hunt I would look at. Some units, such as Fishlake, have hardly had any deer permits handed out the past couple of years. You could almost have the whole mountain to yourself.

I am against the 5-day early hunt, but I still think it's the best hunt especially since they will be cutting tags as well. honestly 5 days is plenty, especially if you show up 3 days early and do most of your hunting without a gun. You may be a year or 2 out for this tag.

The Muzzleloader hunt would be good as well. I would just worry about the army of Deer hunters on day 3. You would most likely draw this tag this year.
If you draw either, get ahold of me and I'll show you around.

Hunted muzzy with my dad this year and the rut was late where we were at rutting action did not start until last few days making me think the mid season tag holders had a good rut hunt. My only experience hunting Utah bulls

Hunted muzzy with my dad this year and the rut was late where we were at rutting action did not start until last few days making me think the mid season tag holders had a good rut hunt. My only experience hunting Utah bulls
This year was definitely atypical-everything seemed to be a bit later, but 9 times out of 10 the muzzy hunt will have the best rutting action.

I would recommend the Manti Muzzleloader. I had an expo tag 3 years ago and it was an amazing hunt. Missed some great bulls and ended up with a 330 type. With the 8-9 days during prime rut you will have a blast. Just try to work around the sheep. My wife got the multiseason tag this year and got a 355 bull on the rifle hunt. With her 5 days would be enough to get a bull but may need more than that to get an exceptional one. The other caveat is if you get your hands on a long-range muzzleloader like I have a Paramount it is like shooting a rifle very accurate. It is big country as you know and being able to get out there 200-300 yards can make a huge difference compared to a 100 yard muzzleloader.

I've been in 2 other LE elk units during the muzzy hunt. Bulls screaming for the ladies never got old. My dad will be jumping from an early rifle hunt he has been putting in for, to the muzzy hunt in the same unit this year. He's 2 points ahead of the curve for the muzzy tag and wants to hunt them before he's too old.

Good luck to you.!

I've been in 2 other LE elk units during the muzzy hunt. Bulls screaming for the ladies never got old. My dad will be jumping from an early rifle hunt he has been putting in for, to the muzzy hunt in the same unit this year. He's 2 points ahead of the curve for the muzzy tag and wants to hunt them before he's too old.

Good luck to you.!
Right on! Is he a Nonresident as well?

If I were you I'd draw the tag one at a time. There are a lot of elk on the unit, but sifting though and finding 2 bulls you are wanting to shoot could be a bit of a challenge. Besides, that way you get to hunt the unit 2 years.

Just to get you pumped up for this upcoming season! This is the bull my wife got in 2022 on the Manti. She drew the Multi-Season tag as an alternate.
IMG_20220924_074431726_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220924_074808788_HDR.jpg

Uh, that's your wife? She looks all of 16 years old!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Excellent trophy and one well above the average trophy bull!

Y'all dun good, man!

Zeke

Uh, that's your wife? She looks all of 16 years old!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Excellent trophy and one well above the average trophy bull!

Y'all dun good, man!

Zeke
Uhhhh this is a Utah forum right? so many possible comments lol

Nice bull !!!!

Iam at 15 NR points patiently waiting

Yeah believe it or not she turns 40 this year. I had been putting her in for only 5 years. Nicer bull than any of mine. And as you can see the first two shots were perfect shoulder vital hits and the 3rd went right through the base of the antler as he was facing away as far as I could tell.

Awesome bull congratulations to your wife. I would have to agree with Zeke at first i thought the same thing.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom