2023 HUNT-EXPO ROLL CALL???

I’m thinking about it, last year I kind of almost potentially got a pic kinda with Eric Chetnard and hoping to maybe seal the deal this year. Who s going to save Utahs wildlife? Great post wapiti Asssin hopefully there’s a good turn out for Don and the crew to save the Beehives state.

1835061A-5805-4DCC-83D3-6643F86793D8.jpeg

Hey SPJ!

You'll Need To Get You a FLATTY-TUCKEE!:D

I’m thinking about it, last year I kind of almost potentially got a pic kinda with Eric Chetnard and hoping to maybe seal the deal this year. Who s going to save Utahs wildlife? Great post wapiti Asssin hopefully there’s a good turn out for Don and the crew to save the Beehives state.

View attachment 101465

I’ll be there but not buying any lottery tickets. Just want to get away for a couple days with the Mrs and meet up with friends for dinner at the Red Iguana

I am going for the first time in a long time with my brother and dad. My daughter is a taxidermist and has some mounts at one of the booths and I want to support her. One of the mounts is my dads archery buck and she is surprising him with more than he thought he was getting. Should be fun. I will throw some money in for some tags just to dream a little but I realize the odds so I want lose any sleep over it.

Probably come down on Thurs for a little while and walkabout. The wife may come down with me to see the grand daughter. I think we are scheduled for more snow Fri thru Wed. And don't feel like driving in it!!

I'd really like to hand $fw some money so I could then ***** about the DWR being all about the money. And I really want to support pulling tags out the draw, then bitching about point creep.

So going would accomplish a lot.

But, I'm afraid I won't make it.

View attachment 101465
Dude, you’re wearing an American Fighter shirt… you have no room to talk sh!t on Hush.

One thing is for sure, there will be no shortage of barnwood, antler replicas, flatty’s and mtn ops lemon berry ignite.

Take some spare change and scoop up the latest colors of pyro putty.

Make sure you have plenty of memory for all those group photos at the elite booths.

Take home a flatty or two for the kids. Start em out right. Should be a great time in the city and well worth the travel for some of you!

Going in to see my deer mount at the Judkins Taxidermy booth, validate my lotto tickets, and leaving. After going into the show, the last few years if I'm not booking a hunt or buying something it seems like a waste of time.

Yes, I am going.....
1- I need a tag
2- I want to book an Alaska Fishing trip (have no idea where to go).
3- I want to see if I can talk to somebody about cancelling all of the 2023 Utah Spike Elk hunts.
4- I want to look at the Kuiu booth to find stuff that I didn't know I needed.
5- I want to see if there are any Outfitters booking General Deer Muzzleloader hunts near Altamont. I am stocked up on blackhorn and ready to go....

That's about it.

Little WHCE Pro Tip: Don’t Double Park behind one of these Rigs: Or Don and Troy get hot steamy Pizzed like a over hydrated Clydesdale in a double slant bumper tow on a late January Cache cow elk hunt.

704CEBAB-DEB2-4C94-956C-D0A630E0D633.jpeg

View attachment 101465
Your avatar picture makes you look alot older.?

I will be there Saturday at the Sheep show ! Then walk around the Expo ! Look for a old guy with a white head of hair and a matching beard. :) Where will founders booth be located ? I need to get my Monster Muley hat !

I will be there Saturday at the Sheep show ! Then walk around the Expo ! Look for a old guy with a white head of hair and a matching beard. :) Where will founders booth be located ? I need to get my Monster Muley hat !

No old guys allowed brah.

If you ain't in hardcore mtn fitness shape, loaded up on TRT, you best stay home.

ONLY the alphas need come, and they sit, will do so after a 12 mile walk through town with a 97lb pack, brah.

The only boomers allowed are those epic rich dudes that ride mules into their epic trophy bulls brah, or have their own plane to fly in for those super knarly hunts that require being near a 4 star hotel.

You white hair knuckleheads stay away, there's conservationing needing to be done, and only the most hardcore bros can do it

Sheep Camp on Saturday for me. Probably won't bother with the Expo. Gotta get back home and shovel more damn snow! Besides, to me the Expo is one of those things that if you've been there once you really don't need to go again. Unless you're looking to book a hunt or fishing trip.

Already have booked my hunts for this year and next, but I also have a Delta voucher that would have expired at the end of February, so why not? Gives me a chance to hang out with my brothers a little and see what Sheep Camp is all about.

I'll be to Sheep Camp because, well, it's about sheep and sheep hunting.

I might have to make it into the expo if the adult kids want to go but I agree, once you seen all the clamoring herds of shiny people, you've seen it all and we've seen it all before anyway so.....

I really want to be out shooting one of my new rifles but the kids are making me go and anything with them is way okay!

Zeke

I might have to make it into the expo if the adult kids want to go but I agree, once you seen all the clamoring herds of shiny people, you've seen it all and we've seen it all before anyway so.....

I really want to be out shooting one of my new rifles but the kids are making me go and anything with them is way okay!

Zeke
Yep, the "shine" of these type shows have kind of worn off over the years for me. That being said who knows, I may end up giving it a quick walk through.

Zeke

I just want to see in-person Moss sitting in his directors chair wearing his glitter covered disco shirt. I want to say that I've been in the presence of greatness before I die, one day...

Three of my sons and two of their sons will be working at the Expo. Two other grandsons will be there Saturday to visit their Uncles and cousins as well as wonder the vender booths and see the texidermy. I’ll make sure they get a few raffle tickets bought for the big game hunts.

Pretty sure none of them will be wearing skinny jeans but a couple of them are heavy into fly fishing and they do seem to prefer the flatties. ?

I spend most of my time visiting the Diet Coke and Corn Dog vendors………. after I buy my year’s supply of Salsa Mix.

That is some good salsa mix. Buy a bunch everytime he comes to Elko
Three of my sons and two of their sons will be working at the Expo. Two other grandsons will be there Saturday to visit their Uncles and cousins as well as wonder the vender booths and see the texidermy. I’ll make sure they get a few raffle tickets bought for the big game hunts.

Pretty sure none of them will be wearing skinny jeans but a couple of them are heavy into fly fishing and they do seem to prefer the flatties. ?

I spend most of my time visiting the Diet Coke and Corn Dog vendors………. after I buy my year’s supply of Salsa Mi

Usually they are one isle east and 5-7 vender booths south of the MDF booth.

A table spoon full of Salsa Mix and a can of diced tomatoes. As hot or mild as you like it, based on the amount of mix you use. Great flavor and you can’t beat be the cost per can of diced tomatoes.

They offer taste samples at their booth.

ED5CDCA0-2671-4BF4-8AC9-351A434FA0B0.jpeg

35B7AD91-4371-42C1-8BFB-EC33EDDE9CD1.jpeg

? Not everything at the Expo is disgusting. The hundreds of venders there are the same people who you purchase many of your outdoor gear and hunting products from.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy any of the 200 raffle tickets, or the sheep tag raffles, the gun raffles, the silent auctions, look at any of the outfitters displays, the Kulu clothing, the hats, talk with any body you don’t respect or like, you don’t have to attend any of the dinners, auctions or entertainment shows.

But if you want to mingle with people with similar lifestyles, ask tons of manufacture and market companies that make the stuff you buy, inquire about everything imaginable in the hunting world, see the latest inventions as well as the old reliable, proven products…….. an amazingly divers group of business people are there to answer your questions.

The cost to visit the vendors and see the displays is not much different than any other convention that comes to Salt Lake.

Lumpy, this is the scene that played out in my head when I read your post. ? ?
Truthful Jake…….. that’s not that far off…….. they toned it down at little in that video.?

There’s a reason they use pepper spray on bears and ass holes.

? Not everything at the Expo is disgusting. The hundreds of venders there are the same people who you purchase many of your outdoor gear and hunting products from.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy any of the 200 raffle tickets, or the sheep tag raffles, the gun raffles, the silent auctions, look at any of the outfitters displays, the Kulu clothing, the hats, talk with any body you don’t respect or like, you don’t have to attend any of the dinners, auctions or entertainment shows.

But if you want to mingle with people with similar lifestyles, ask tons of manufacture and market companies that make the stuff you buy, inquire about everything imaginable in the hunting world, see the latest inventions as well as the old reliable, proven products…….. an amazingly divers group of business people are there to answer your questions.

The cost to visit the vendors and see the displays is not much different than any other convention that comes to Salt Lake.

Sounds great, and your not wrong.

Buuuuuuutttttt.

When you pay that admission, or punch that voucher, you become an attendence stat. Come next week, and especially when the expo contract or hunting bill comes up, $fw runs out how they represent Utah hunters, the attendance stats come out. And some legislator that isn't plugged in to hunting, thinks that if 60k folks show up to support, then $fw really must represent sportsmen so whatever they want must be popular.

BGF getting $$$ to "stop wolves" just one example

First timer here or never been to any hunting convention but since the wife has never been to slc we figured this was they year.

So bedazzling my pants and getting fired up to draw a Henries buck tag….

Any other advice for first timers??

First timer here or never been to any hunting convention but since the wife has never been to slc we figured this was they year.

So bedazzling my pants and getting fired up to draw a Henries buck tag….

Any other advice for first timers??
Wear your most comfortable shoes and and try to attend Thursday, if you can. Saturday is a frenzy of humanity. In some vendor displays it is literally elbow to elbow…….. in a most jovially way, of course.

Usually they are one isle east and 5-7 vender booths south of the MDF booth.

A table spoon full of Salsa Mix and a can of diced tomatoes. As hot or mild as you like it, based on the amount of mix you use. Great flavor and you can’t beat be the cost per can of diced tomatoes.

They offer taste samples at their booth.
I think this is the one they sell at the show. It’s delicious.
981E6C6D-6688-4C3B-A27C-C0EEC5A6EB37.jpeg

To quote a description from one of the larger vendors that has to go... "It's the Halloween of hunters shows."

As usual, I conveniently can’t find the time to support something that I don’t support (Tag donations and money laundering). I wish you all the best in your $fw endeavors.

Smokepole, make sure you take a copy of that pic for autograph purposes. They need to know they are valued by the masses.
Not a chance. But based on the folks that continue to support this, I can understand why Illinois can’t get rid of its corrupt politicians. Despite all the indictments and convictions. Go figure.

i will be going thursday afternoon. Like to walk around and look at the big deer on display and get in on the lottery for a tag.

Wasn't as impressed meeting Chesser in person at the Expo as watching him on YouTube. I like the guy. Probably saved my life watching him after a dark return from my last deployment in Afghanistan.

Is this flat brim talk really a thing? Sounds like a gaggle of school girls and limp wrists with nothing else to talk about. I can't imagine finding the time to talk about such stupid, let alone losing valuable time to dig through the garbage to find good material.

I'm going. Drew Manti Early Rifle in 2019 right after a rough deployment. I said the gods of hunting and war looked well upon me. Still keeping the hope alive and a good attitude to draw again. Can't draw if you don't apply. Corruption - welcome to reality... most adults don't want to hear it unless you're actually DOING something about it. Same old song and dance. What a miserable state to be in.

Last edited:
Is this flat brim talk really a thing? Sounds like a gaggle of school girls and limp wrists with nothing else to talk about. I can't imagine finding the time to talk about such stupid, let alone losing valuable time to dig through the garbage to find good material.

I've always found it amusing the hate that flows, yet these guys know every detail about these "internet famous hunters" ? ? ?

I will be there with my wife, I would say I am going to draw a tag, but I know if anyone does it will probably be her! If she does I get to go along and carry stuff. Haven't been for a few years, a couple of my friends have drawn elk tags in the past, and you never know maybe they will mess up and give me one by accident

Right?
I didn't even know who this dude was till about 6 months ago!!?
I've known who he is for years, he was part of the tines up crew when they got popular. I've watched some of his stuff over the years but don't know half the details a lot of the haters do lol.

People just love to hate.

I will admit I'm a bit jealous of the guy and those like him they figured out a way to make a living doing the stuff I love to do.

It's about 900 miles for me to go. Roads are rotten across Wyoming (snow and wind) and I think I"ll stay put. Spent about 3 hours shoving snow around today.

I don't follow the flat brimers and my life seems fine. Don't know many of those internet warriors.

Life is what you make it. I have enjoyed going in the past; never won a thing. When you live in a real rural place in Wyoming, sometimes it good to go to the city so you appreciate what you have. But I'll pass this year and maybe for a while.

My highlight is always going to Rodezios for supper. Get the meat sweats every time. But man is that a good place to eat.

Going Saturday for the sheep camp event and to validate my lottery tickets. Never been, I’ll be the guy not wearing bedazzled jeans or a flatbrim. See y’all there

Going Thursday and Friday. I drew a tag my first time in 2011. My buddy drew a desert sheep tag 2 years ago. I only put in for 31 of the hunts this year, usually closer to 60.

I usually go Friday / Saturday so I can go to the sheep show. I have decided not to fight the crowds.

Someone once suggested getting 30 friends to put in $300 and draw one name to put $9000 towards a guided hunt. You spend the same amount but you have 30-1 odds instead of 1500-1. I can not argue with the math. This was suggested a few years ago. Might need to let a few more in, I am not sure what you can do with 9K these days

Not a chance. But based on the folks that continue to support this, I can understand why Illinois can’t get rid of its corrupt politicians. Despite all the indictments and convictions. Go figure.
The crowd in this video reminds me so much of the lemmings who support SFW & the Expo. Click "Watch on YouTube".

Unbelievable

Someone once suggested getting 30 friends to put in $300 and draw one name to put $9000 towards a guided hunt. You spend the same amount but you have 30-1 odds instead of 1500-1. I can not argue with the math. This was suggested a few years ago. Might need to let a few more in, I am not sure what you can do with 9K these days
Sounds like a reasonable idea except for the fact that whom ever wins would likely have 29 fewer friends

Going Saturday for the sheep camp event and to validate my lottery tickets. Never been, I’ll be the guy not wearing bedazzled jeans or a flatbrim. See y’all there
I can tell it's your first time... you may show up without vagazzled jeans, but you'll leave wearing them. It's part of the initiation.

I'm actually surprised at how many guys I read in here constantly complaining about draw odds and dwr only caring about money, yet go to expo.
No complaining about draw odds. They are what they are.
DWR needs cash to get habitat projects done.
I will be there Friday early for most of the day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom