2023 MDF Banquet Schedules

slamdunk

Screenshot_20230113_110205_Gallery.jpg

Why be shady or sneaky when it's public knowledge? Quite a list ?
Nothing sneaky about it at all.
My comment was because I have gotten messages for it.

Totally public knowledge, easy to find.....but then again so are elk in the epicenter ?

I wonder if you took all of those premium tags and put them back in the resident draw, or added them to the NR bonus pool if that would help point creep? I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe, probably, yes.

I will say that of all the organizations MDF probably does some of the most impactful work. It would be mind boggling to add up all the expo, banquet, auction tags that are pulled from the public draw and compiled into a list....scroll for days.

Increase the Cost of tags across the board. Hell, even by double. Eliminate these groups. Use the extra money to create "conversation' jobs and pay people to do the jobs these groups are "doing" or "not doing". Then put these tags back in the draw. My opinion of course. haha

I wonder if you took all of those premium tags and put them back in the resident draw, or added them to the NR bonus pool if that would help point creep? I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe, probably, yes.

I will say that of all the organizations MDF probably does some of the most impactful work. It would be mind boggling to add up all the expo, banquet, auction tags that are pulled from the public draw and compiled into a list....scroll for days.

Not just MDF, when looking at tags!

List of 2022-24 Conservation Permits
Just counted, there are 76 bull elk tags, now space that out over all the different units, and all the different seasons for those units.

They would have a minimal impact on point creep from year to year.

There are 38 deer tags, again spread out over all the seasons, and hunt units impact would be minimal.

Just counted, there are 76 bull elk tags, now space that out over all the different units, and all the different seasons for those units.

They would have a minimal impact on point creep from year to year.

There are 38 deer tags, again spread out over all the seasons, and hunt units impact would be minimal.
Not if you are a NR. Look at all the hunts that don't have a bonus tag and the odds are terrible. Put a bonus tag in and at least the high point NR holder draws.

Not if you are a NR. Look at all the hunts that don't have a bonus tag and the odds are terrible. Put a bonus tag in and at least the high point NR holder draws.
You are correct, it would help A few NR max points guys out. But even that is not going to be a very big number. And is less that 1% of the total NR applicants in the pool.

I get a lot of people don't think it's worth it, but personally I think it is. Millions of dollars going to wildlife in the form of habitat improvement, and in some cases land acquisitions. That benefits everyone.

I will take the tradeoff.

I'm also not going to say they couldn't reduce that number a bit, if someone wanted to make the argument I wouldn't be opposed.

And One More Question?

When Somebody Starts a New Organization/Federation/Etc!

Do They Add Even More Tags For Them?

Or Do They Bid On Them?

Or What?

You are correct, it would help A few NR max points guys out. But even that is not going to be a very big number. And is less that 1% of the total NR applicants in the pool.

I get a lot of people don't think it's worth it, but personally I think it is. Millions of dollars going to wildlife in the form of habitat improvement, and in some cases land acquisitions. That benefits everyone.

I will take the tradeoff.

I'm also not going to say they couldn't reduce that number a bit, if someone wanted to make the argument I wouldn't be opposed.
I think a few auction tags is fine and the concept of those proceeds going toward conservation, habitat improvement, etc. is spot on, but to have 76 elk tags and 38 deer tags is completely ridiculous and it certainly dilutes the value across all of those tags. Those numbers don't even begin to scratch the surface of ALL the tags available for auction either - the total # is insane!

If I was king and in charge for a day, I would have one "super" auction tag for each big game/OIL species, and then maybe a few other (10-20) additional tags that always fetch a high dollar amount for auction and leave it at that. Put 95% of those funds toward habitat/conservation and give the rest of the tags back to the public. Most other western states take this approach and do just fine - Utah certainly has not cornered the market on habitat restoration/conservation over the other states and they get by just fine with a limited # of auction tags.

I started an organization.... Fat Guys With Bad Knees Deer Foundation. We are in need of funding for conservation efforts and are requesting 2 Paunsaugunt archery deer tags, 3 premium unit elk tags, and whatever else that can be thrown in turkey, bear, etc.

3% of all proceeds will go back to seed for burn scars, 7% will go to knee replacements for members and the other 90% will be used for undisclosed purposes. Banquet will be held on January 27th at 6:00pm at the Cedar City Golden Corral.

I'm In Wiff!

Knee is Already F'ED Up!

Do I Qualify?

I started an organization.... Fat Guys With Bad Knees Deer Foundation. We are in need of funding for conservation efforts and are requesting 2 Paunsaugunt archery deer tags, 3 premium unit elk tags, and whatever else that can be thrown in turkey, bear, etc.

3% of all proceeds will go back to seed for burn scars, 7% will go to knee replacements for members and the other 90% will be used for undisclosed purposes. Banquet will be held on January 27th at 6:00pm at the Cedar City Golden Corral.

Sign me up too ?

I think a few auction tags is fine and the concept of those proceeds going toward conservation, habitat improvement, etc. is spot on, but to have 76 elk tags and 38 deer tags is completely ridiculous and it certainly dilutes the value across all of those tags. Those numbers don't even begin to scratch the surface of ALL the tags available for auction either - the total # is insane!

If I was king and in charge for a day, I would have one "super" auction tag for each big game/OIL species, and then maybe a few other (10-20) additional tags that always fetch a high dollar amount for auction and leave it at that. Put 95% of those funds toward habitat/conservation and give the rest of the tags back to the public. Most other western states take this approach and do just fine - Utah certainly has not cornered the market on habitat restoration/conservation over the other states and they get by just fine with a limited # of auction tags.
The argument of a diluted market is exactly what I was meaning about there being an argument that could be made that they give out to many of these tags.

As far as habitat restoration compared to other states? I'm not as well traveled as some, so I won't argue that either, but the places I have been there is no comparison, Utah h done a lot more work than the other states. But I spend a lot more time in Utah, so maybe it's a biased opinion.

I just counted out how many tags they give for this year and not including the turkey tags there are 370 big game tags up for auction.

That includes bears, cow elk, antelope, buck deer, bull elk, and all the OIL species. Sounds like a lot, but about half of those are bear, and cow elk. I will say I was surprised at how many sheep we're on the list.

Last edited:
300+ big game conservation permits (auction permits) plus 200 expo permits = 500+ big game permits taken out of the public draw in the name of conservation. This obviously does not include all of the landowner and CWMU tags that are also available for purchase.

I agree that MDF and other organizations do some great work to improve habitat but I doubt that the average sportsman really sees any significant return on their investment of hundreds of big game tags every year. Jake asked above if Utah does more habitat work than other states? That is a good question. Perhaps a better question is whether Utah big game herds are doing any better than all of the other western states who have not bought into (or sold out) to the "Utah Model. I don't think so but I would love to hear the opinions of others.

Food for thought.

Hawkeye

Last edited:
300+ big game conservation permits (auction permits) plus 200 expo permits = 500+ big game permits taken out of the public draw in the name of conservation. This obviously does not include all of the landowner and CWMU tags that are also available for purchase.

I agree that MDF and other organizations do some great work to improve habitat but I doubt that the average sportsman really sees any significant return on their investment of hundreds of big game tags every year. Jake asked above if Utah does more habitat work than other states? That is a good question. Perhaps a better question is whether Utah big game herds are doing any better than all of the other western states who have not bought into (or s sold out) to the "Utah Model. I don't think so but I would love to hear the opinions of others.

Food for thought.

Hawkeye
That is a fair point, but I would also point out that a fair bit of the habitat improvements made are not going to have immediate impact, some of it could take many years even a decade or two before the benefits are at there highest level. And will also take a lot of other good fortune to be fully utilized. The drought we have been in the last 20 years has definitely taken a toll on the effectiveness of the restoration efforts. But what happens if/when things turn around?

Utah may be in a better position to rebound better than the other states.

Maybe I'm just optimistic, ? .

Jake-

Those are fair comments. However, the State of Utah has been pulling conservation permits out of the public draw for over 40 years. And the Expo tags were created over 15 years ago when the first Hunt Expo was held in 2007. In other words, Utah has pulled thousands of premium big game tags out of the public draw and raised tens of millions of dollars for conservation projects over the last few decades. In addition, all other western states are dealing with the same drought conditions, increased predator numbers, increased hunting pressure, developing technology, and other problems as Utah.

At what point is it fair to ask if sportsmen are getting a fair return on their significant sacrifice and investment? Are big game herds in Utah doing any better than other western states? If the "Utah Model" is so great, why haven't all of the other western states followed suit? When, if ever, will Utah truly become the "Serengeti of the West" as predicted by Don Peay?

Hawkeye

Jake-

Those are fair comments. However, the State of Utah has been pulling conservation permits out of the public draw for over 40 years. And the Expo tags were created over 15 years ago when the first Hunt Expo was held in 2007. In other words, Utah has pulled thousands of premium big game tags out of the public draw and raised tens of millions of dollars for conservation projects over the last few decades. In addition, all other western states are dealing with the same drought conditions, increased predator numbers, increased hunting pressure, developing technology, and other problems as Utah.

At what point is it fair to ask if sportsmen are getting a fair return on their significant sacrifice and investment? Are big game herds in Utah doing any better than other western states? If the "Utah Model" is so great, why haven't all of the other western states followed suit? When, if ever, will Utah truly become the "Serengeti of the West" as predicted by Don Peay?

Hawkeye
That is a fair assessment, maybe we aren't getting the most bang for our buck.

I will say, at this point in time I wish they would funnel more of the money raised into purchasing land to put into conservation easements then habitat restoration. They have done a lot of restoration, at this point in time with the way everything is going I feel land acquisitions should be a bigger piece of the pie. And it should be land that is made accessible to the public for hunting as the primary purpose.

I know a few organizations have put dollars into some land purchasing the last few years, I would like to see more of that.

A thought I had. (scary i know. haha ) How much of this conservation effort over the years has been done on precious winter land, only to be ruined or have the land consumed by subdivision development and such ?

A thought I had. (scary i know. haha ) How much of this conservation effort over the years has been done on precious winter land, only to be ruined or have the land consumed by subdivision development and such ?
I along with many others spent 1000's of hours doing lop and scatter projects on a plateau in prime winter habitat. You know what was there the following fall?? Survey stakes and new roads for several gas wells and a giant plant. All those wells and the plant are now operational with very few deer hanging around, due to constant noise and heavy traffic

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom