2023 Nevada Legislature

HEVISHOT

Heads up hunters on two anti hunting bills that have been introduced into the 2023 nevada legislature.
AB102 would make it a crime to sponsor or participate in a coyote contest
AB90 would make feral horses a state animal, giving them more protection than our wild game animals.

I believe it's SB90 concerning horses. The full text is "Designates the wild mustang as the official state horse of the State of Nevada. (BDR 19-560)".

The digest is as follows: Existing law designates numerous state emblems, including, without limitation, a state bird, state insect, state reptile, state animal, state fish and others. (NRS 235.020-235.140) This bill designates the wild mustang as the official state horse of the State of Nevada.

Bighorn Sheep is a Nevada State animal and we are allowed to hunt it. So maybe......... ;)

Heads up hunters on two anti hunting bills that have been introduced into the 2023 nevada legislature.
AB102 would make it a crime to sponsor or participate in a coyote contest
AB90 would make feral horses a state animal, giving them more protection than our wild game animals.
AB90 states that the bill is related to water and engineer diversions. Am very curious on the wild horse bill, have not looked through them all to find it!

I was given the information from SCI lobbyist. There fighting both of them. Hunters need to make their voices heard, don't let California style anti hunting laws take affect here.
And of course these bills are written by Vegas politicians.

It baffles me that the wild horses in NV have more people fighting for them than the native wildlife. They absolutely should not be given status of a state animal.

I personally don't care for the coyote contests, but that means that I don't have to enter them. But I don't have a problem at all if there are people that do want to organize and participate in them. I wish city politicians would the leave the rural traditions that don't impact them alone.

I'll make sure and let my legislators know I oppose both of these items.

Hevishot - thanks for those links. I didn't realize you can submit public opinion directly on that site. I will have to do that as well. Hopefully the politicians actually look at those comments.

Currently there are more opinions in support of SB90. It’s pretty easy to register and submit a comment. Use the link posted earlier in this thread.
D6D46F5B-9A4E-4D1D-B71A-FDB1CE56C224.jpeg

I just submitted my opposition to SB90 using the link above. It was very easy. Federally designate horses are out of control, and the damage Nevada and its wildlife is grossly obvious.
Only 63 people have taken the poll, so it wouldn't take too many of us to impact the poll results.
19 opposed
43 in favor
1 neutral

Ima play devils advocate here just because I had a thought. Don’t get me wrong I hate the horses. As of now, the state of nevada has no jurisdiction over horses, so they have no say in what happens with them. Is it possible that this bill may change that a bit? I assume they would still be solely managed by the feds if this bill passes? Is it possible this bill may give nevada a little more say in the management of these things or is this just some meaningless lib label the horses will get?

Ima play devils advocate here just because I had a thought. Don’t get me wrong I hate the horses. As of now, the state of nevada has no jurisdiction over horses, so they have no say in what happens with them. Is it possible that this bill may change that a bit? I assume they would still be solely managed by the feds if this bill passes? Is it possible this bill may give nevada a little more say in the management of these things or is this just some meaningless lib label the horses will get?
As hunters we see while out hunting new guzzlers and repaired guzzlers have fencing to keep horses out, the horses destroy the guzzlers. From my understanding if this bill passes, it would force guzzlers to allow horse access. We all know horses destroy the guzzlers and push wildlife off them.

Makes me feel better as a Californian......I thought we were the dumbest.....now we have competition....

I just opposed both of them. It seems that I'm the only one that opposed the horses so far. It was 100% for when I logged on.

I just opposed both of them. It seems that I'm the only one that opposed the horses so far. It was 100% for when I logged on.
SB90 has a lot more votes than that. Still about 1/3 opposed is all though. Are you sure you didn't type in AB90? That one is now 50/50 with one vote for and one against?

I just learned that SB90, making the mustang the state horse, was a bill requested by a fourth-grade class. I hate that it tries to legitimize both the federal horses and the ones in the Virginia Range outside Reno. The Virginia Range is almost entirely private land, Therefore those horses are feral livestock under state law so they fall under the NV Dept of Agriculture. The horse groups have been doing a fertility project on them and they say it's working so great buy they never provide real data to back that up.

This bill doesn't make them our state animal. That is the desert bighorn. But it is a dangerous move giving them more rights. The real danger is in the details in this bill, like calling horses a natural resource. It will give them more standing legally. It's a terrible idea and an insult to real natural resources. Needs to be killed.

Makes me feel better as a Californian......I thought we were the dumbest.....now we have competition....
NV is the new CA because all of the people fleeing from there, come here & make it that way. Lol

NV is the new CA because all of the people fleeing from there, come here & make it that way. Lol
Yes, I'm sure that's a factor. But you know we do have a horse on our state quarter too. The logical thing to do with that would have been to put the bighorn sheep on it since that's our state animal. But there were some schools in Reno who sent home notes with their kids to tell their parents to put in requests for the horse. And the horse won. That was quite a few years ago. Like 20 or more years. Before this latest influx of people to Nevada.

"Wild horses" is such an emotional issue with the horse groups and there is no talking sense into any of them. And they are way better at putting pressure on lawmakers than modern day hunters.

Here’s another terrible bill we need to oppose - AB355

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEVADA, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEMBLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. Chapter 202 of NRS is hereby amended by adding thereto a new section to read as follows:
1. A person who is less than 21 years of age shall not handle or have in his or her possession or under his or her control any:
(a) Semiautomatic shotgun; or
(b) Semiautomatic centerfire rifle.

A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
2. A person who aids or knowingly permits a person who is less than 21 years of age to violate subsection 1:
(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), for the first offense, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) For a first offense, if the person knows or has reason to know that there is a substantial risk that the person who is less than 21 years of age will use the firearm to commit a violent act, is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.
(c) For a second or any subsequent offense, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $5,000.
3. A person does not aid or knowingly permit a person who is less than 21 years of age to violate subsection 1 if:
(a) The firearm was stored in a securely locked container or at a location which a reasonable person would have believed to be secure;
(b) The person who is less than 21 years of age obtained the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person in or upon the premises where the firearm was stored;
(c) The injury or death resulted from an accident which was incident to target shooting, sport shooting or hunting; or
(d) The person who is less than 21 years of age gained possession of the firearm from a member of the Armed Forces of the United States , a reserve component thereof or the National Guard or a law enforcement officer while the member or law enforcement officer was carrying out official duties.
4. The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to a person who is less than 21 years of age and who [is] :
(a) Is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States [carrying out official duties.] , a reserve component thereof or the National Guard;
(b) Was discharged or released from service in the Armed Forces of the United States, a reserve component thereof or the National Guard under honorable conditions; or
(c) Is a law enforcement officer who is employed by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency.

Comment here: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/82nd2023/Bill/10251/Opinions

Last edited:
AB355 is a set up. They know Lombardo is likely to veto it so then in the next election they can say "see, lombardo doesn't care about school shootings or gun safety".

SB90, the state horse bill, is getting a hearing in the assembly at 9:00am today.

SB90 appears to be dead. It did not get voted out of committee by the Friday deadline.

Looks like the democrats are going to try and override AB355 that was vetoed by the governor. It'll probably get the 2/3 in the assembly, if they flip one republican in the senate the democrats will 2/3 there. May want to contact your legislators. Nothing completely dies until midnight June 5.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom