2024 Elk Unit 100-1

Buckjunkie

I can’t believe I finally drew unit 100!!! I had max points, so the odds were improving.

My wife and I drove around the unit a little last May on our anniversary…I know I am a romantic😂😂😂, but would appreciate any advice from folks who have hunted the unit in the past. I have studied maps, stats, seen the Desert Giant. Video from Eastmans, but there is nothing like being there during the hunt…which I have not been. I am mostly a rifle hunter, but occasionally go archery.

I have a contact from Green River who is willing to give me some spots and even do some scouting, but the unit is giant. It’s bigger than Yellowstone Park.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to pass along!

Congrats on the draw! The Red Desert is a magical place!! Don't worry too much about scouting animals, as these elk are highly mobile. It's nothing for them to take off, and be 10 to 15 miles away from where they spent the morning. Use your scouting time to become familiar with the road systems. Don't get hung up on scores, as the majority of mature bulls out there are less than 320". The past few years the weather during hunting season has been dry enough not to mess up the roads, but with a slug of heavy rain or snow many of the roads out there become impassible due to the mud (chains for your tires are a must in your toolbox).
You'll see some incredible sights out there. Two years ago I watched a badger chase two coyotes for about a mile across the sand dunes. You'll find some Booner antelope, too many horses, and the occasional huge muley. The sunrises are spectacular! Oh, and the elk will be seen as singles all the way to herds of several hundred.
Once the Wyo resident draw results are released I'll send you a PM. My family and I have hunted 100 nearly every year since 2009 (mostly cow tags).

Congrats on the draw! The Red Desert is a magical place!! Don't worry too much about scouting animals, as these elk are highly mobile. It's nothing for them to take off, and be 10 to 15 miles away from where they spent the morning. Use your scouting time to become familiar with the road systems. Don't get hung up on scores, as the majority of mature bulls out there are less than 320". The past few years the weather during hunting season has been dry enough not to mess up the roads, but with a slug of heavy rain or snow many of the roads out there become impassible due to the mud (chains for your tires are a must in your toolbox).
You'll see some incredible sights out there. Two years ago I watched a badger chase two coyotes for about a mile across the sand dunes. You'll find some Booner antelope, too many horses, and the occasional huge muley. The sunrises are spectacular! Oh, and the elk will be seen as singles all the way to herds of several hundred.
Once the Wyo resident draw results are released I'll send you a PM. My family and I have hunted 100 nearly every year since 2009 (mostly cow tags).
Also.....you may on occasion find grown men with jewels on their pants, driving Toyota trucks, wearing flat brim hats with their ears tucked in filming videos for their YouTube channels or podcast. These grown men usually ***** and moan about Wyoming yet still show up here every year. It's the only fall migration we here in Wyoming dread. Best of luck, you have a good tag!!

Put in the time, and you should do good. Plenty of elk, plenty of country to explore. One of my favorite places.

We will be there with my dad. He cannot hike too far but we will make the best of it. Looking forward to it! One of the best parts about the upcoming hunt is that he does not really care about score. He will be happy with any bull (except a spike ha ha...).

Good luck to those who drew!

I can’t believe I finally drew unit 100!!! I had max points, so the odds were improving.

My wife and I drove around the unit a little last May on our anniversary…I know I am a romantic😂😂😂, but would appreciate any advice from folks who have hunted the unit in the past. I have studied maps, stats, seen the Desert Giant. Video from Eastmans, but there is nothing like being there during the hunt…which I have not been. I am mostly a rifle hunter, but occasionally go archery.

I have a contact from Green River who is willing to give me some spots and even do some scouting, but the unit is giant. It’s bigger than Yellowstone Park.

Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to pass along!
You should well with the rifle. Just like shooting fish in a barrel, just kidding. Prepare well and maximize your enjoyment in filling the tag.

Let's see a picture of the 50 LOL
20221023_081732.jpg

Yep yards. This one might score 50?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom