20gauge for pheasants?

lip_curl

ok, i know this is big game forum, but i have a daughter in law that wants to try pheasant hunting. i havent shot one for nearly 30 years and would just use my 12 gauge. she is on the small side and is a little recoil sensitive, would we be giving up much effective range/killing power going to a 20g vs a 12g ? thanks in advance

I hunt wild chuckar and pheasant all the time with a 20 using 3" mag #6 shells. it works fantastic. a 3" 20 is on par with a standard high base 12 ga load.

If you're hunting preserves or tight holding birds 2 3/4" high base 20ga loads would suffice.

Recoil with 3" loads will be as bad or worse of course, same ballistics in a lighter gun. but it's not that bad. the 2 3/4" shells are very manageable.

If you can get out to a sporting clays range before your hunt I'd highly recommend it. there's nothing you could do that's better training new bird hunters, or even seasoned ones .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I have been shooting my Remington 870 20 gauge for years and years.

Geese, ducks, pheasants, grouse, chukar ext.

Sportsman Warehouse has/had? the 870 on sale for $259.00 28 inch barrel....

Robb

A guy who hunts with me every year that all he use is the 870 20ga and he is the blocker on all the hunts we do.
he don't miss much that for sure, having only one good leg has stopped him being one of the best blockers.
#6 high base does the trick for him.
check out these shells polywad speader shells
I use the number#6 and #4 like the #6 for that close up flush then all # 4 after that.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have shot 20 gauges that kick as hard or harder than my SX3. Be careful just throwing up any 20 to a kid thinking it is going to kick less. Especially in some of the youth models that are smaller guns and single shots, those guns can carry some recoil with them.

I'd suggest you should them first to really see what is going on.

First, that is awesome that she wants to try hunting.

A 20ga. in 2 3/4 in. shells is plenty capable of hunting pheasants, chucker, grouse and squirrels. I've used my double barrel for a few years and have not noticed any sacrifice in range or power. From my hunting groups experience, the birds shot with 12's are a bit more tore-up than with the 20ga but just as dead!

2f350s: Hunt hard, hunt ethically.

I've shot a 20ga exclusively for upland including pheasants for 30 years now. Even with high winds and wild birds in South Dakota I killed more birds than any one in our group of 15, close behind was by son....also shooting a 20ga. A 20ga is always nicer to care than a 12ga whether for a woman or man. And performance is not an issue at all in my experience.

Kill the crap out of turkeys with 20 every year(really only about 10 a year with my gun) Me and a couple buddies rarely grab the 12 any more, instead grabbing little youth Weatherby sa 08 20. I usually shoot a handful of other birds with it each year also

I had bought my wife a remington 870 20 gauge and I ended up liking it soooooo much that I bought myself a sexy little semi-auto 20. They have both been deadly on pheasants, ducks, grouse, and recently a turkey. I use el cheapo shells most of the time and it does just fine, but one time I did buy a box of 3" praire storm and those things took roosters out like lightning bolt! Have fun!

A 20 will certainly do the job. I've killed hundreds with 20 over/unders and side-by-sides. I prefer #5 shot but often shoot #6 or #4. I started my son with a 20 single shot on dove and he graduated to pheasant last year. It is all about hitting the bird and when he did his part the 20 smoked them.

I have been using a tristar 28ga for four years now in nd for the first two weeks of season, our opening weekend crew of 6-10 hunters are all using 28s now because of me. 1oz 6s from federal is all we use, I have not had to shoot any twice

You guys know way more about this then I. Would it help using one of the special recoil pads to help the young lady with the recoil issue? I'm also asking for some good brands for Mrs Sikora. She loves to hunt birds and does shoot very well.

Thanks for your time

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

biggergun, how are the TriStar for quality and reliability? They look like a good value

Thanks for your time

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

>You guys know way more about
>this then I. Would it
>help using one of the
>special recoil pads to help
>the young lady with the
>recoil issue? I'm also asking
>for some good brands for
>Mrs Sikora. She loves to
>hunt birds and does shoot
>very well.
>
>Thanks for your time
>
>Joe
>
>"Sometimes you do things wrong for
>so long you
>think their right" - 2001
>"I can't argue with honesty" -
>2005
>-Joe E Sikora

I am a huge fan of the Weatherby SA-08 for such a good gun at less of a chunk out of the wallet. It's a gas operated gun that has very little recoil. The youth version comes with a 24" barrel and a shorter stock - a full sized stock can be purchased from Weatherby for around $100 - if needed.

Another couple options are the Benelli M2, Benelli Montefeltro - I have shot both this guns extensively in Argentina for dove hunting and, while they are interia guns, the recoil was very mild as well.

Finally, Franchi makes a nice little 20 that is between the price point of the Weatherby and the Benelli - it is called the Affinity.

I hope this helps - 20's are wonderful to shoot and I think if you go the semi-auto route, an aftermarket recoil pad is not needed. However, limbsaver makes great ones if you decide to go that route.

I bought a Mossberg 500 youth in 20ga for my 8 year old to use. He dropped a turkey like a rock at 30 yards last week with 2 3/4" shells. I was really impressed. He is only 62 lbs. My 6 year old has also shot it but he is shorter and it doesn't fit as good.

Get an old Winchester 16 just because they are cool. Grew up shooting that and hold a special place in my heart. Even better if you can find paper shells. The smell cannot be beat.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I just add a slip on recoil pad on my sao8 youth for upland birds to increase lip. I keep it short for turkey

>I have been using a tristar
>28ga for four years now
>in nd for the first
>two weeks of season, our
>opening weekend crew of 6-10
>hunters are all using 28s
>now because of me. 1oz
>6s from federal is all
>we use, I have
>not had to shoot any
>twice

I am a big guy and I like the 28 as well. So you have less pellets. Be careful with the 870 youth 20 ga. I shot it and it is recoil heavy. My girls hate it and now they stole my Beretta 20 ga semi. It has hardly any punch to the shoulder at all.

I prefer an O/U but if recoil is a concern there is only one option. a gas operated auto.

I would recommend a Beretta if it's in your budget , super guns that are trim, light , dependable and really reduce recoil .

I do all of my chuckar hunting with a Montefeltro and I love it but Benelli kicks that's all there is to it. you have to go gas operated to reduce recoil.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Hamertime08, thanks for the info I'll look into those models. Limbsaver, that's the brand I was thinking of.

Thanks again Joe

-Joe E Sikora

LAST EDITED ON May-12-17 AT 07:14AM (MST)[p]Joe,

My 13 Y/O daughter has the Tristar Raptor 20 in youth size. It has been 100% reliable with the lightest loads up to full turkey loads. The design is pretty simple. Recoil is very light. 2 3/4 Federal Heavyweight shells put the beat down on turkeys with VERY reasonable recoil.

In comparing the Tristar to the Weatherby SA-08, I can't tell a difference in the mechanical operation and design of the guns. They appear to be functionally identical. Both made in Turkey. I suspect they are made at the same factory.

Heck I seem to remember the mossberg semi auto youth is the same also. Back when I did searching I think they thought if ever a problem Weatherby a little easier to deal with.....but been 4 or 5 years

I moved to South Dakota for school last year and "needed" to buy myself a new pheasant gun. That gun was a Montefeltro 20ga. Best gun I have ever owned and was more than adequate on wild SD pheasants. This was all behind a pointing dog though, so most shots were under 40 yds.

I had the same concerns before buying my gun. I really wanted the light weight of a 20. This would allow me to also carry the gun around the Utah chukar hills when I come home. The best vote of confidence I got was from the dog breeder I bought my shorthair from here in SD. He without a doubt the best wild pheasant hunter I know, he hunts exclusively public lands and has a kennel of about 15 shorthairs. He only hunts with a 20 SxS and is absolutely deadly with it.

The one drawback to the 20 that I have seen is with steel shot. If I am hunting an area that requires steel shot I will carry my 12.

Good luck.

early season birds hold tighter then late season hunted birds for sure, distance on those birds that been hunted for a few weeks really get out there that when the 20ga starts to lose out to a 16 or a 12 ga.
20 ga behind good dogs and tight holding birds are a dream to shoot.
I use a A303 Beretta 12 ga light and fast handling that get a ride to the promise land every year.
Rem 1100 12 Ga was my go to gun for many years now the back up for the SD hunts.
Rem 1100 20 ga that go with me on all dove and some SD pheasant hunts as a back up.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom