22-250 For Deer

Dirtbag

My boy is turning 10 this summer and he is taking the Hunter safety course. My question is is the 22-250 to light of a load for deer out to 300 yards. I know shot placement is key however with all things being equal will this caliber get it done? He is very comfortable and accurate with this rifle.......

One of my daughters used a 22 250 to take her first deer. Although 300 yards may be a bit far for a young hunter ? She was 100 yards or less. Its hard for some young hunters to get the game in the scope. She ended up taking a small two x two at 50 or 60 yards. It all worked out great. Just get the heaviest bullet you can and keep it close.

I wouldn't want to hunt deer with one, given a choice, but that's just me.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'll preface this with that I'm a Hunter's Ed instructor and I get questions like this a lot.

Fist, find out if your state has a minimum caliber requirement for deer. Some states forbid using .223 and smaller.

Second, a 22-250 on a deer at 300 yards... I would not do this at 300 yards, or at any range. My personal preference, and I'm sure someone will be offended. Personally, I think the .223/5.56mm/22-250 and related calibers are too small to ethically and humanely kill a deer, even at close range.

I'd recommend looking at a larger but mild recoil caliber such as the 7-08. He'll be able to take just about anything on North America with that.

Yes, The 22-250 will kill deer and antelope out to 300 but closer is better. I've done it so I have some history.

I've shot more 22-250 rounds than any other rifle cartridge with the exception of the 222 Rem and I still do not count the .224 diameter calibers as big game bores.

It's not what I'd recommend to anyone but if I had to use that cartridge again, I'd use a Barnes X or a Nosler Partition. The POI would need to be precise. Stay away from the shoulder or a raking shot.

A 243 Win is better and a 260 or 7mm-08 is even better yet than the 22-250.

Zeke

I've taken a few deer with a .220 swift and all were with the old 60gr Solid Base. A couple were neck shots and several were shoulder hits. Longest shot was 250yds through the shoulder. All were DRT. I think a .22-250 is capable of cleanly taking deer at normal ranges as long as the rifleman is able to precisely place his shots and pass on marginal angles.

Thanks everyone for your replies....
Yes, 22-250 is legal in Az....
Looks like a can get up to 64 grain for factory loads for his 22-250...
Maybe I will have my son try shooting my 6.5 x 284 and see how he does....

Best deer rifle cartridge out there on the 24hourcampfire site. Lots of better cartridges with tolerable recoil for hunting big game with. mtmuley

I will also recommend that you look at the 7mm-08 for your son's deer rifle. Just to much of a chance for a bad shot with a 22 cal rifle used by a young hunter.
One of my grandson's is using a 7mm-08 that I bought him when he was 11 years old. The recoil did not bother him and he has become a very good shot with that rifle. Marlin makes a bolt action 7mm-08 that you can get in a standard length stock or a shorter, youth, stock for a very reasonable price. Savage also has a similar rifle. My grandson has the Marlin and that rifle will shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and do it on a consistent basis.

RELH

My granddaughter has taken three bucks in three years with her 22-250 Savage.All one shot kills.Nosler 60 grain bullets.
It is what ever you can shoot accurate and be comfortable with.

>My granddaughter has taken three bucks
>in three years with
>her 22-250 Savage.All one shot
>kills.Nosler 60 grain bullets.
>It is what ever you can
>shoot accurate and be comfortable
>with.

That is awesome......she must be quite the Hunter.......

You can kill a deer with a 22 rimfire but that doesn't make it a great deer cartridge.

John Nosler Sr dedicated some time hunting deer with various bullets in a 22-250 and his conclusion was it works. but he didn't advise it.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

IMO, There are better cartridges for deer that are mild recoiling than a smaller .22 caliber.

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

I've yet to see a deer shot with a 22-250 that wasnt dropped in its tracks, or soon after. Or a 22-250 that will get shot less than bigger calibers..

funny how that all works out.

Wyoming finally made it legal for.22 caliber a couple of years ago. Has to be 2 inches or more and 60 grains or more. For deer/antelope

this last year I used my 22-250 using a nosler 64 grain trophy grade bullet. Dropped both my deer with one shot..

I also used a 22-250 in Wyoming this past season. Out of 3 antelope I can honestly tell you none of them asked to be shot with a different caliber! Haha.
Seriously, all 3 were one shot kills and I was really surprised with the amount of devastation along the wound channel. There was more blood shot meat (on them all) and shattered bone (got a little forward on the one) than with my usual 7mm pills. It was fun but I'll be switching back to the big gun.

I to had the same issue. Deer were getting some big holes and some serious damage. I didn't say it earlier cause I figured someone would call BS

A .22 center fire will kill a polar bear if you hit it right. that doesn't make it a good choice for hunting dangerous game. or big game.

It's all about bullet weight and shot placement. more weight, more margin of error.

On the depredation hunts on my ranch I see lots of " marksmen " who get excited shooting at a cow elk and toss lead like 12 year old kids at a 400" bull. I have to help them find the leakers.

I don't believe in encouraging hunters to use marginal calibers or bullets because of what I've seen over the years. they need all the help they can get to minimize the loss .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

It will get the job done, but like most everyone else on here there are better choices. My daughter started with a .260 rem and has moved up to a .308 Win. She is now 14 and my 12 year old daughter shoots the .260 rem..I also like the 7mm-08..Kinda want one of those for me to have fun with. I have been collecting 7mm-08 brass just in case I buy one..
Antelope are not nearly as tough as Deer and I would feel more comfotable using the 22-250 on the Antelope over a Deer. Either way it takes good shot placement for a quick humane kill..Good luck and practice with whatever you decide to use.

I would never use my 22-250 for anything larger then a deer.

shot placement can be a mystery. I shot a doe with a 45-70 410 grain bullet. Good shot equaled doe not going down. Its amazing how good shot placement and a big caliber and these animals can still take a punch.

1. I can't think of a more negative experience for a 1st-time hunter than wounding and losing an animal.

2. Here in CO the legal minimum bullet diameter for big game is .24.

Have him shoot a .22LR for practice and then let him shoot the deer with your rifle. He will never notice the kick. I have done this with all 3 of my sons. They shoot my 308 only when it's time to kill and they never develop a flinch. 22 is the greatest caliber for making a marksman.

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

The 22-250 will cleanly take deer with a quality bullet and good shot placement. With the right barrel twist rate you can shoot the 60 gr. Partition. With a standard barrel you can shoot the new 64 gr. Nosler BSB which is a fantastic bullet.

I would not hesitate to use the BSB on any antelope or deer. Keep shot opportunities to good ethical shots and it will do the job.

Good luck on your choice. Lots of good advice given. Anyone of them will work great.

I've used the 22/250 myself for whitetail. They were relaxed,does,from a solid rest. 60gr Partitions. All were shot in fields. I'm not sure I'd take to the brush with one though. I didn't have to go looking for them after the shot. None needed more than one. The last several deer my father in law killed ,before his body totally gave out, were shot with a 22/250. Same situation,same fields. It's a killing little summitch. In the right situation.

Just put a suppressor or muzzle brake on your 6.5 x 284 and he’ll be in heaven. And you’ll probably like it also.

Is the 22-250 a better option than a .243 for a youngster?
Wow Mr Founder, you dug this thread up from the grave! haha

To answer your question (according to me), No, a 22-250 is not better.
A 243 is a better deer/antelope cartridge than a 22-250. All my kids could have used either chambering but I took them out with 243's and none of my girl ever lost a deer....and they shot a pile of them growing up.
My wife has used many different cartridges but she's back to the 243 Win declaring one of my pretty customs "her" deer gun. So be it, she's the boss.

Zeke

I like the .243 for deer. I might have to buy one for the fun of it. I love my .22-250 but wouldn't prefer to ever use it to hunt big game. I went back and forth several times trying to decide what caliber to get my kids. I ended up going with the 7mm-08 for all of my kids. The recoil is more then the .243 but I liked the energy advantage of the 7mm-08. The recoil hasn't been an issue and my kids are all relatively small. They shoot a 139 gn bullet. My son dropped at bull elk @ 500+ yards last year and a deer the year before. So far I have not been disappointed. That has just been my personal experience and opinion. There's always pros & cons between calibers.

If the 22-250 is a fast twist barrel there are definitely 22cal bullets that work very well on deer. The 243 is another great option also.

Gees....you girls still arguing about this.... used to need a big block to pull 13k pounds but now it can be done with a v6 eco boost. For the last 4 years I have shot 5 deer and about 7 or 8 hogs with a 223 with 55 gr Barnes ttsx’s..... All one shot kills from 25 to 325 yards...... My 9 year old even smoked a 300 lb hog at about 150 yards right through the heart.....stiff legged his azz.....times have changed....do not need as much as you used to. My 223 is now my deer rifle...my 308 is for elk.

If he shoots your 22-250 good keep him on that rifle for practice. When you take him hunting swap out for your 6.5. He won’t even notice the difference with the excitement. My boys have taken 5 cow elk, one bull elk, four antelope, three oryx, and a few stink pigs with thier 6.5 CM rifles. Both have been shooting the 6.5 since they were 8 with no issues. I think the key is to have them practice with a light recoil rifle. When my boys were little I would have them shoot a ton of 22 long rifle every year and only shoot the 6.5 at big game. They never even flinched with the 6.5 since all they knew was a 22.

By the way all were one shot kills with the exception of one tough as nails doe antelope. She just would not go down. First shot was through the lungs but she just soaked it up. Took a couple more shots to knock her down.

personal opinions is not good advice. real world advice is what gets the job done .224 cal. with a good bullet will kill better than a broadhead on an arrow

As all have already commented,,,,,,
It will work, just not ideal choice.
I have taken tons of kids out for their first deer.
Many had .223 but by far most handled a .243 well and it does a great job of getting it done.
I can highly recommend getting any younger hunter a .243 that you can buy as a youth model and later purchase an adult stock for use as a big kid or adult.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom