22 late Coues - anything left?

osu92

Any thoughts on what's left of unit 22 after the big fire and if it'll be worth hunting this year on the late Coues tag? Hunted it last year with a buddy and was really looking to go back down again. From the fire maps I've seen, most of the ground we hunted was burned.

We saw a few big tracks when we was Elk hunting late season.
Saw Javelina in there too.

Everything north and west of SR87/188 junction missed the fire. Most of Mount Ord and Pine mountain, along with the foothills heading to and over Four Peaks was cooked. Unless you‘re concentrating around the fire, there’s still lots of country to hunt. Just move north a bit.

If we get some good rains here soon, that burn will green up quick!

Everything north and west of SR87/188 junction missed the fire. Most of Mount Ord and Pine mountain, along with the foothills heading to and over Four Peaks was cooked. Unless you‘re concentrating around the fire, there’s still lots of country to hunt. Just move north a bit.

If we get some good rains here soon, that burn will green up quick!

Unfortunately the area we concentrated on last year, including where my buddy shot a really nice buck, seems to have been cooked. But like you said, there's a big chunk of the unit that looks untouched. Time to explore I guess.

The places that burnt can grow a lot of feed if the rain gods will help. I would take a big walkabout in those burn area's and see if there is tracks and new grass.

From the Interstate you can see the edge of the burn still has lots of cover. It's a pretty wide swath of slightly burned country. The center of the burn looks like the surface of the moon though.

Just got back from hunting that unit, was tough, access was limited and as stated above everything was torched, that being said, found there was still pockets of deer in the burn, got lucky and harvested my first coues on my fifth day of the hunt, i would guess the majority of the deer will move back in by next year!

Just got back from hunting that unit, was tough, access was limited and as stated above everything was torched, that being said, found there was still pockets of deer in the burn, got lucky and harvested my first coues on my fifth day of the hunt, i would guess the majority of the deer will move back in by next year!
Congrats Muleydeer! Heading down to 22 for my son's Coues hunt in three weeks.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom