22 WMR for Pigs?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Here's the situation, 100-125# feral pig. Directly facing you at 30 yards. 22 WMR with 40 gr TMJ or JHP bullets. Would you take the shot between the eyes?

Growing up in domestic pig country, I watched many pigs die due to a 22 long pistol placed between the eyes. So I'm thinking the 22 WMR at 30 yards gets the job done. Just curious what those with pig hunting experience think.

Reason for the 22 WMR is regulations allow taking of pigs with whatever cartridge is legal for other game. Rimfire is acceptable for squirrels. I can't carry a centerfire rifle because I don't have a deer tag.

Thousands, and quite possibly tens of thousands, have been dispatched with the venerable old 22 Mag. Can't ask for a better Texas truck gun. A 22 WMR with 40 gr bullets will be deadly on a hog at that distance, unless looking up at you where the angle of the forehead might make a ricochet possibility. We prefer a side head shot, where the skull is a little thinner, but they all work. I would definitely use the 40 gr CCI Maxi-Mag full jacketed, rather than a soft point.

Thanks guys! Below or behind the ear is my first choice. Based on my memories of NC hog killings with a 22 LR, I thought the WMR would be adequate between the eyes. Yesterday I had 5 pigs facing me at 30 yards...and I had fallen asleep!

Oh, the CCI Maxi Mag TMJ is in the chamber.(y)

Thanks again!

I would agree #4 would be too small for pigs unless point-blank range.

I think 22 WMR would be the better choice. Good luck hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom