243 help

nmelknut

just bought a youth harrington and richardson 243 for my son. sighting it in at 25yds. it's dead center grouping well. move out to 100 yds. and it wasn't even close 18 inches out and all over paper. shooting remington core lok 100 gr. I have had good groupings with my other guns with this ammunition. would changing ammunition help.

IMO Try 50 yards then 75, then 100. Dont jump the gun on sighting this gun in. Had the same set up 100grs remington corelocks Rossi with a cheap tasco pronghorn and had the same problems. Try to get your right to left first then work on your elevation. What scope ??? Or open sights? O and are you shooting the rifle for your son at the range? Let me know how it turns out.

Sounds like a scope problem that just happen. If your gun will shoot 1" groups at 50yrds it should be no more than 2" groups at a 100yrds.

With the Handi Rifle, they can be very sensitive to trigger squeeze due to the transfer bar system. Another thing that they are sensitive to is forend placement. More so than any other gun I have shot. I have 3 frames and 5 barrels, all of which will shoot MOA or better at 100 yards.

If I just flicked the trigger like my varmint guns, I would get a larger group than when I exaggerated the trigger squeeze and held the trigger back until the gun recovers from recoil.

The design of the forend makes this rifle sensitve to forend vibration transfers. I pillar bedded my forend and use a rubber O-ring around the forend retaining screw to deaden the vibration transfer. These two things made the largest difference in group size for my Handi Rifles.

Good bench technique is also required. Watch the downward force of the trigger hand. It can flex the buttstock to action junction and cause problems for groups.

Be sure to check the scope mounts. They can work loose.

I dont like the remington bullets.My wife has a 243 We switched her to the hornady 100 grn light mag.Best shooting gun we own

I'm shooting it for my son at the range to get it hitting center, then I was gonna pass it over to him since he's left handed for final adjustment.It is a Handi Rifle with a Marlin (3x9) scope that looks pretty good. This is how they sell the package, ther were a couple more like it. I sure hope we can figure it out this week. It was a pain to find a gun to fit him especailly since he's left handed

switched over to winchester super x and finally got the gun sighted in after about 30 minutes. started at 25 yds. then 50 then 75 and finally 100 yds. my son was knocking the center out at 50 yds. like it was no big deal. best part was the shells were 15.00 cheaper at walmart then the core loks.

yeah he's got a unit #2a youth hunt in october. I told him if he passed hunter safety and got drawn I would buy him a gun. I don't know who's more excited me or him

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom