243 Re barrel ?

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
I've got a Winchester model 70 in 243 that I believe is in need of a barrel. I’m thinking along the lines of 24 inch 8 twist ? My questions are , is it worth going to a 26 in. barrel and what grain bullets would the 8 twist do best with ? I hunt with this particular gun quite a bit , shooting Sierra 70 grain match bullets on coyotes and I run an 80 grain Barnes TTSX on antelope and occasional deer. I like the idea of loading some 105 gr. Bergers which should work well in an 8 twist barrel , but what about my 70 grain coyote loads ? Any advice from someone experienced with this type of change would be appreciated ! Thanks

8 twist will handle 105s just fine. I’m running them in Lapua brass and 7828 at 3020 in a 24” barrel. It will also shoot 70gr bullets if you wanted. Personally I’d just run the 105s for everything and I wouldn’t run a 26” barrel on an all around carry gun.

It’s all about balance for me.... I’d probably go 23 or 22 to start and possibly cut another inch or two off ....I like them to balance at about the front action screw or in my off hand if that makes sense....nothing worse than a butt heavy rifle IMO. The loss in FPS due to barrel length or twist is negligible . I‘d go 1 in 8 or even 7 and shoot lights or heavies.

I use the 115 DTAC and "run" them (damn you Andy) in my 6mm WSM with a 8 twist.
Without looking, I'd assume the 8 twist would work well with the 105 Bergers at your velocities.
At to whether the 70's will shoot well, honestly not all guns (barrels) like all bullets regardless of twist.
Sounds like you'll have fun,

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom