243 WSSM For Kids

wallhanger

I posted a while back about looking for a .243 youth model for my nine year old son. I've looked at a lot of guns over the past few weeks, and never considered the WSSMs. But, I handled a Winchester Super Shadow at Wal-mart this morning chambered in .243 WSSM and this is what I noticed:

1. It was lighter than most of the youth models I'd looked at.

2. It has a MUCH better/softer recoil pad on it than the .243's I'd looked at.

3. It felt more balanced when I put it to my shoulder than the smaller guns I'd handled.

So my question is this: Does the .243 WSSM have a lot more recoil than a regular .243 win? And How much difference does that inch in stock length make for a kid?

I know that this is a new round, but does anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks,

A confused WH

Wallhanger,
From what I've read the .243WSSM is an awesome little performer with alittle more recoil than a std..243WIN.,but not substantial enough to warrent not concidering it for a kid.
Another "Hottie" is the new .25WSSM which just became available. Should be a super deer caliber !!
Take your kid to Wal-Mart and let him shoulder the Shadow and see how it fits him. The recoil shouldn't be a big deal, but you could always get a "recoil reducer" for the stock,or change recoil pads.
Good luck w/ your dilemma !!!!! ( a happy one, just the same )

Buckrub,

Thanks for the reply. I like the 25 wssm as well. I just worry about the recoil right now. In a couple of years, it may not matter. I'd sure like to shoot some of these before I make a decision.

I've shot .243s, and was really surprised at the lack of recoil. It was really nice to shoot. But the the real reason I brought up the wssms is more because of the rifle it's offered in, and because the suppershadows come with a really soft recoil pad, which may compensate for the extra kick it does generate.

Just so you guys know what he's already used to, He shoots a really light .410 (maybe 4 or 5 lbs.) with no problems, and to me it kicks harder than the .243 I shot. Would you guys agree?

Thanks again,

WH

WH,
If he's shoot'in a .410, he can surely handle the rifle.
My son started w/ a .30/30 lever gun at age 10 and,as always,once he got in the field shooting at a deer, he never felt any kick !!!!
You know yourself, there's no kick when your shoot'in at game!!
Go w/ the .25WSSM, I think he'll handle it and use it for many years.

I was wondering if they have a better feeding system than a Browning? reason that I ask is that I have a 223wssm and that is the worst feeding system that I have ever seen if you try to run one in after the first one it will jam every time they are too short and fat to feed right, will never buy another short mag, I damn sure would check into that before you bought one. just my 2 cents. Greg

Thanks for the tip, Greg. I'll definitely check into that before I get one. I'd really like to shoot one. By the way, what is the recoil like on the .223 wssm? I read that the .223 and .243 WSSM's have pretty close to the same powder capacity. Thanks again.

WH

The recoil is nothing course i'm 6-2 and 230 so I don't pay much attention lol, i'm not knockin the caliber it's just the way they load out of the mag, when you get one in the barrel it will lay them right in there, if you insist on these short mags, like the other guy said check out the 25 I bet it's a good one for light skinned critters... Greg

Thanks for the info, Greg. It's not that I'm dead set on the WSM's it's just that those are the only calibers offered in the model of rifle my son seems to like best. If I can find a .243 win that he's comfortable with, I'll probably still go that route. I like being able to buy shells at any hardware store if I get in a pinch. Just from my experience, the feel of the rifle and your comfort level with it goes a long way when it comes to shooting it well. On the other hand, you can get comfortable with any gun if you shoot it enough.

Thanks again, fellas.

WH

I would get the 25 WSSM and use the 85 grain bullet. Shouldn't kick any more than the 243 with a 100 and you can go up to 120 grain for Large bucks and small bulls. Good luck with the purchase. My oldest boy is five and I want to buy him one right now and keep it in the closet for five years. I like talking about fathers and sons and guns and hunting and camping and four wheeling ect.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom