25-06 Ammo

callsalot

I know there is more than one answer to this but I've only went on three rifle hunts in the last 30 years everything has been archery.
That said I just bought a 25-06 from a family friend that is in financial trouble and this rifle had been in the box for 10 years never fired so just thought I'd ask for opinions on ammo for mule deer and antelope.

You need to find out what the Gun Likes!

Don't worry about somebody Shooting 100 fps faster than you,You're Hunting!

I Don't Think Winchester makes the 25-06 Bullets in a POWER-POINT or I'd recommend them!

You could try these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900118376

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I have taken many deer and antelope over the years with a 25-06. If you are using factory ammo, I would go with Federal for best accuracy and performance on deer size game. The nosler partition is a good one, so is the sierra gameking if Federal still offers that bullet in their line. I prefer bullets in the 115-120 gr. range for antelope and mule deer size animals.

RELH

Both 110 gr AB and 120 gr PT work well.

Most all rifles like most all bullets. Depends on what your expectation is in grouping.

If you can hit the center of a 3" circle at 200 yds leaning over the hood of a truck, it's an accurate load.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and I'm glad I asked. I would have thought 130 to 150 grain bullets would have been the ticket. No one suggested anything over 120 so I was little shocked by that.
I'll grab some of the suggested ammo and give it a try. PS the rifle is a Remington 700 probably about 12 years old or so.

Thanks to everyone again.

I think the heaviest bullet made for the 25-06 is 120 grain. Wish someone would come out with a 135-140 grain, would be good for elk I think.

Another vote for the 110 accubonds or the 100gr TTSX factory loaded.
There are heavier 25cal bullets available but most aren't factory loaded though. Also most 25cal rifles aren't twisted fast enough from the factory to shoot heavier bullets.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-19 AT 05:48AM (MST)[p]For deer and antelope sized critters a 115-120 gr bullet is plenty. Remember the 243 shines at 100 gr. And designed on a 30-06 case, it is traveling really fast and is flat shooting! Just pick a well constructed bullet that shoots accurately and you are good to go.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Another vote for the 100 gr TTSX. I have killed an antelope at 425yds and we have killed a couple of mule deer and cow elk out to 360 yards. I need to get that gun back out, come to think of it.

Hornady Superformance 117 grain shoot well in my 700. Deadly on antelope and whitetail. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a muley.

Yeah the heaviest bullets for 25 cal is right around 117-120 gr. That's why I built a 6.5x284 Norma so I could get up to 140 gr, and keep my BC high.

I love my 25-06. I own a tikka and it's light, no recoil, love the smooth long action on the 25-06 and I recently killed a whitetail at 400 yards with a 115 accubond. Held right on him having sighted in at 200 so the gun shoots real flat. That bullet pulverized him too

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-19 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]Actually a new bullet maker came out and made 131 grain ACE in .25 cal. It is awesome and has done really well.
I had a 25CM made to shoot them and I love it so far.
BlackJack bullets.

Rumor to have even more coming out soon.

I guess they are only good if you reload though. Good luck

Thanks again to everyone. The few times in recent years I've rifle hunting I have been shooting a 270 but picked up this 25-06 and have a 3rd season Colorado muley tag this year and thought I might
try the 25-06 this year hence posting this question.
Really appreciate all the feedback. Already picked up a few of the suggestions and will be heading to the range soon.
More to come.

My Remington 700 BDL loves 117 grain projectiles.
It has flattened out every muley I've ever put the cross hairs on in one single shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom