.257 TSX BT

Lhedrick1

.270 Winchester, 200 yards, shot through 1/4" steel. .40 S&W casing for reference. Wow.
20200419_174014.jpg

I would have expected that hunk of copper to get torn up a little more after a trip thru steel plate. Mine are shredded, but the steel is thicker. I've seen some like that that bounced off.

But Im a big fan of shooting pretty much anything to see what the slug looks like. :)

If you look on my other post here of the pictures of the steel, you can tell the holes that were the Barnes bullets. The left copper all around the inside of the hole like cheese on a cheese on a cheese grater.

I think I can see a couple on the "head" of the steelman, and another by the right armpit? Thats sorta what I was expecting....a lot of mass shed. Did you weigh the slug? Just curious.

I think I can see a couple on the "head" of the steelman, and another by the right armpit? Thats sorta what I was expecting....a lot of mass shed. Did you weigh the slug? Just curious.

Yup. All the Barnes left a copper coating on the target and through the hole. Did not....if it's still laying around the farm I will weigh it.

I was wrong about the original picture above; that is a .257 100 gr TSX BT.

Left to right:

100 gr Barnes TSX BT shot from .257 Bob through 1/4" steel @ 200 yards. Recovered weight is 110 gr.

129gr Barnes LRX BT shot from .270 Win through 1/4" steel @ 200 yards. Recovered weight is 150 gr.

Must be rock and dirt trapped in there causing the excess weight???? Either way.....DAMNNNNNNN.
20200422_141751.jpg

Yep,
It's almost impossible to recover a Barnes bullet, unless you shoot it into steel. I shot a bull moose at 350 yards with a 7mag. and it punched right through that big old bull.

I've burned SST's, Ballistic Tips and even Accubonds and Partitions through the steel. The Barnes seem to the the only thing that holds together. All I've found of the others is shrapnel.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom