26 elk nr pp..what good units?

JC

Came back to hunting game..life got in way..where's best idea and or unit to find a good elk hunt?

Depends on what you like to hunt with. Archery? You are in decent shape and should be able to draw 10 and be 3-10 years from 2 and 201.

for rifle and muzzleloader...looks like your best bet would be unit 10. Checking the draw odds...you are still 7-17 years away from a rifle or muzzle tag in 2 and 201.

hope that helps.

How is unit 10? What is best weapon choice..? I've hunted all..I know bow is my least confidence for me..although was 1 of the most fun..I've taken 1 bull archery..muzzy would be maybe my pick unless of course there is just a unit that would be, should be rifle hunted..I appreciate the help..of course once in lifetime! Had an idea that 201 would be out of reach a little but not that much..good eye opener!!

Yeah..good question..pretty much a solo hunter these days..unguided dyi would be my desire .$ would be an issue with guided possibly..I might be able to have someone go with me though....best hunting bud in colorado became sick..cant barely walk..others got too BIG..Another problem..I'm 63 pretty decent shape..not looking for record books but of course like any of us who are on this sight I wouldnt mind a little bragging rights for once..I've SEEN my share but not to hit the ground..got too busy for the last at least 7 years to even hunt much at all..when younger that's all I wanted to do-quit jobs etc. Lol..so trying to get back in it and just dont know what things have changed in colorado units regarding winter kill etc. That would affect herds or quality of hunt..access..and all that..(long answer!! ) anyway thinking muzzleloader because of weather and rut..love the season...lastly I may be able to sell some s*** to do trespass fee or something too!! Reaching out to others who have been to different places and have some thoughts on area they would like to share..would be 1 and done for me I think..would trade some good halibut fishing out here...thanks. I should stop for now ..JC

Muzzleloader season does not coincide with rut every time. I elk hunted unit 20 for muzzy elk in 2018 and did not hear a bugle. Lucked up and killed one last day by accident. I would skip muzzy season

I muzzy hunted last year and had great action on a leftover/returned tag draw hunt. It all depends
On the pressure from the archery hunters. The big 3 in Colorado should have plenty of action.

Thanks colorado boy..I've heard you say that before..I need to look and see if 26pp will possibly get it done

thanks for seeing that for me.. how long...this is getting old.I am too!!lol for now.......wont be funny if things come down though

"How long", maybe never.
The top end units in Colorado have been experiencing a one point per year "point jump" for many years. If this continues and you are one or two points behind you will never catch up.

You need to look at units that you could have drawn in 2019 with the number of points you had then.

Didn’t know if you were a NR or Resident. As a NR unit 10 muzzy/rifle, 61 early rifle or 3rd season 851 (Bosque Del Oso) would be on my radar.

61 Early Rifle took 26 last year. 5 out of 13 drew with 25 points last year, so it is right in your wheel house and the type of hunt could be done DIY and you probably could line up a packer if you get into the steep and nasty areas. I would recommend reading about it, lots of info out there on 61 including a Randy Newberg video from a later 4th season hunt you can find on youtube.

Unit 10 is a great unit and you would have a lot of fun. Something to consider is the rules for muzzle in Colorado. They have restrictions on loads, primers, and it's open sights. That isn't a problem for a lot of people but some people are going into it thinking they can use something like a Remington ultimate muzzy with a nice scope and that isn't the case. Just food for thought. There is a lot of private but a lot of public too. You could find someone to help you pack one out if it was very far off the road.

Agree with others unit 10 is a very good hunt. I’ve been lucky enough to be apart of a hand full of friends and family members hunts up there and all of them have been great hunts. The most difficult part about 10 is your going to have to deal with a fair amount of private land and the dinosaur national monument. The highest concentrations of elk will be on the north end of the unit often times within spitting distance of the monument line. A good GPS is as important as any piece of equipment you can have up there. Majority of the bulls in 10 will be in the 300 to 330 class but if you are diligent and stay off the trigger and know what you’re looking at 350 plus is a realistic type bull.

Coloradoboy

Hey bullbuster..I'm taking this all in and your point with muzzy is well taken on loads etc..I set my gun up for colorado rules..have a cva accura v2 nitride..put a peep on rear.(helps with old eyes)and a crosshair up front which helps with blade getting in way of holdover..worked out a good load..very accurate..no illusion there have used it in colorado before..so thanks for that info..so saying that what's best season in there.muzzy or 1 of the rifle seasons.(COLORADOBOY you may have input on this one seeing your experience in that zone..)so that's unit 10..others have suggested 61..???all options are open I suppose..coloradoboy 851..maybe PM me

It sounds like you're ready to go. How far can you shoot that smokestick? Muzzy tag is first so youd have first go at them. A rifle is a little easier to kill one with. in my experience the rut is getting going by the end of muzzy pretty good. it was awesome on opening day of rifle last year and by the end it had slowed down quite a bit.

It sounds like you're ready to go. How far can you shoot that smokestick? Muzzy tag is first so youd have first go at them. A rifle is a little easier to kill one with. in my experience the rut is getting going by the end of muzzy pretty good. it was awesome on opening day of rifle last year and by the end it had slowed down quite a bit.
Hey bullbuster..sounds like you hunted that spot..
Would love to chat..JC

WOW..saw some videos on a couple unit 10 hunts...cool country!! Hi desert? Sage..open looking with some aspen..this very much looks like this should be on my radar..I guess I should learn a little more on bull antler size..cause I woulda pulled trigger on quite a few of the ones I saw..lol..I need to look into it a little more

I had an archery tag in Unit 10 last year and I would be all over it in a heartbeat if I had another chance. As Coloradoboy mentioned you have to learn the area well and be aware of borders with private and the Monument, but that is the only negative when comparing with 2 and 201 in my opinion. Unit 10 has more elk than 2 and 201 combined and and the best bull/cow ratio in the state....I hunted solo for 17 days and had countless encounters with bulls of all sizes. There are only 2 nonresident archery, and 1 nonresident muzzleloader tag in the unit so you never know about the draw, but you would certainly have a good chance at either. You might be able to draw archery in 2, but it could also take a couple of years as you never know who will put in and there are so few tags. The only reason I would consider 2 over 10 would be if you wanted to spring for the tresspass hunt on the Walker Ranch. I personally believe 10 is more fun because of the constant action and greater numbers of elk. There are also less muzzleloader tags in 10. I am enclosing a picture of the bull I got and if you're interested I wrote a long and detailed account of my hunt and posted on Bowsite. You can find it easily by goggling Bowsite "The Quest is the best" if you are want to read it. Good luck.

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

DUDE!! THATS a nice one..cool that you posted that...good job and thanks for sharing!! I will look at that site

WV
Your assertion that the top Colorado units have been jumping a point a year is commonly believed, but not actually accurate. I am referring only to archery and muzzleloader seasons. The numbers for the last 5 years (2015-2019) in Units 2, 10 and 201 are as follows.
Unit 2 Archery- In 2015 20% of applicants drew with 18 points. In 2019 14% of applicants drew with 21 points, a change of barely over 3 points in 5 years. About .62 points a year.
Unit 10 archery- In 2015 90% of applicants drew with 17 points. In 2019 25% of applicants drew with 19 points, an increase of about 2.5 points in 5 years. Approx .52 points a year.
Unit 201 archery. In 2015 67% of applicants drew with 20 points. In 2019 57% of applicants drew with 23 points

Accidentally posted before I was finished.
Unit 201 archery increased almost exactly 3 points in 5 years, approx. .61 points a year

The muzzleloader numbers are almost the same.
Unit 2 went from 50% with 20 points to 67% with 22 points during the same 5 years. Slightly less than 3 points in 5 years.
Unit 10 went form 25% with 18 points to 50% with 21 points, again less than 3 points in 5 years.
Unit 201 went from 27% with 20 points to 14% with 23 points, slightly more than 3 points in the same 5 years.
These numbers are all for resident applications. There are only 1 or 2 tags for all these hunts for nonresidents, so it is more more random.
I understand these are huge numbers and maybe you were referring to nonresidents, but I hear this same statement made about resident numbers all the time and wanted to clarify for people, because the resident point creep for archery and muzzleloader has actually slowed to a consistent .60 points per year for all these units the last 5 years.

I'm still trying to find story..I've gotten on website and cant find how to do search..I guess I'm too old for that stuff..lol..

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom