26 years and 28 minutes (sorry this is a long one)

cwprx

I have debated on posting this for several months now, but here it goes.

I had dreamt of hunting a limited entry hunt as long as I can remember. Elk have always been majestic, tough, and beautiful animals. My dad took us elk hunting at a young age and the magic has never left.

After 25 years of unsuccessful applications this year I finally received the email I had hoped for. I was one of those hunters we all talk about that applies for a unit that I had never hunted, but knew it had better potential than most at harvesting a mature bull in an older age class. I didn't know exactly what I was after but knew when I saw the one it would be obvious. I spent the summer on the mountain scouting, checking cameras, pulling cameras, hiking, glassing, studying maps, and spent a small fortune purchasing fuel to go on these trips. In total I spent 9 weekends on the mountain before the archery hunt started. I had some decent bulls on cameras, but nothing that made my jaw drop. I hadn't found "the one" but had seen more mature bulls than I had expected to see. I went back down on the mountain the second weekend of the archery hunt to scout and then returned the Wednesday before my hunt started with the plan to stay until my hunt was over or I had harvested my bull. I had plenty of family and friends come down to help and we divided up and went to different areas. We had found a couple of bulls, but again nothing that made my heart skip a beat. The night before the hunt started I got into an area that I hadn't been into before and sat in the middle of 3 bulls bugling and it was so thick I couldn't see a thing. I could hear one of them raking his rack on a tree, working a wallow, and when he bugled it made the hair on my neck stand up, but I never laid eyes on him or his friends. I hiked out 2 miles in the dark that evening not knowing what to do the next morning.

When we got back to camp that evening I found out 2 other people with me had also seen bulls, but nothing that was obvious we should go after. We made a plan for opening day. We were going to split up and cover as much area as possible in groups. Me and my friend were going up to the area he found one bull and I was in the bulls that night and what ever side was talking first was where we would go.

Opening morning we got to our spot before light and listened. Once the bugling started we were on our way. It was in the same area I was in the night before, a little over a mile from the trail we left the side by side on. We worked our way into the elk and found a smaller 6 point bull bedded 50 yards in front of us. He had no clue we were there and then another bull bugled to our left and ran across a meadow. Immediately I looked at Dave and said "I want him". His fronts and fourth points made quite the impression with his head tipped back. He quickly worked his way out of the meadow. We followed and gave a cow call; instantly he answered. I got set behind a large rock and gave one more cow call and he came to the skyline in front of me screaming. He just kept coming. I figured I'd let him get as close as possible before I shot...…..51 yards. 28 minutes, after waiting 26 years, I finally have my bull!

To be hones the moment took my breath away. To have my 73 year old dad on the mountain with me to experience this was priceless. I had everyone on the mountain with me that I had been hunting with since I was 14 along with my 2 sons, and 2 friends that were instrumental in this hunt. Thanks to everyone on this forum that gave me pointers and ideas of where to start. I guess dreams do come true.

For those of you who want to play "what does it score" give me your guess, I have the number but would like to hear what you think, I'll update later.

IMG-0026.jpg

IMG-9664.jpg

IMG-2380.jpg

IMG-3920.jpg

IMG-3938.jpg

IMG-3980.jpg

IMG-9736.jpg

That bull is a STUD regardless of score. Length, mass, character - he's got it all!!! Congrats on such a great experience.

Really nice bull. Probably not as big as some think, as it was photographed to look big. I would take it anytime. Hunting the rut with a scoped high power rifle? It probably shouldn’t be done, but I assume it’s Utah. But I’ve always hunted Colorado and have many times wished I had my 300 when I’ve encountered a monster bull out of range of my muzzle loader. Congratulations

Congrats on a great bull. I’d guess him to be in the 370’s but the score doesn’t even matter on that prehistoric looking beast. He is an absolute slob!

Congrats on a great bull. Sounds like you had an awesome experience shared with family and friends. I’d guess that bull at 366.
366 looks good ! Heck of a bull- well done ?! What a super fine hunt & hanging tough. I think you topped out -!?????! Congratulations ?!
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado

I had dreamt of hunting a limited entry hunt as long as I can remember. Elk have always been majestic, tough, and beautiful animals. My dad took us elk hunting at a young age and the magic has never left.

After 25 years of unsuccessful applications this year I finally received the email I had hoped for. I was one of those hunters we all talk about that applies for a unit that I had never hunted, but knew it had better potential than most at harvesting a mature bull in an older age class. I didn't know exactly what I was after but knew when I saw the one it would be obvious. I spent the summer on the mountain scouting, checking cameras, pulling cameras, hiking, glassing, studying maps, and spent a small fortune purchasing fuel to go on these trips. In total I spent 9 weekends on the mountain before the archery hunt started. I had some decent bulls on cameras, but nothing that made my jaw drop. I hadn't found "the one" but had seen more mature bulls than I had expected to see. I went back down on the mountain the second weekend of the archery hunt to scout and then returned the Wednesday before my hunt started with the plan to stay until my hunt was over or I had harvested my bull. I had plenty of family and friends come down to help and we divided up and went to different areas. We had found a couple of bulls, but again nothing that made my heart skip a beat. The night before the hunt started I got into an area that I hadn't been into before and sat in the middle of 3 bulls bugling and it was so thick I couldn't see a thing. I could hear one of them raking his rack on a tree, working a wallow, and when he bugled it made the hair on my neck stand up, but I never laid eyes on him or his friends. I hiked out 2 miles in the dark that evening not knowing what to do the next morning.

When we got back to camp that evening I found out 2 other people with me had also seen bulls, but nothing that was obvious we should go after. We made a plan for opening day. We were going to split up and cover as much area as possible in groups. Me and my friend were going up to the area he found one bull and I was in the bulls that night and what ever side was talking first was where we would go.

Opening morning we got to our spot before light and listened. Once the bugling started we were on our way. It was in the same area I was in the night before, a little over a mile from the trail we left the side by side on. We worked our way into the elk and found a smaller 6 point bull bedded 50 yards in front of us. He had no clue we were there and then another bull bugled to our left and ran across a meadow. Immediately I looked at Dave and said "I want him". His fronts and fourth points made quite the impression with his head tipped back. He quickly worked his way out of the meadow. We followed and gave a cow call; instantly he answered. I got set behind a large rock and gave one more cow call and he came to the skyline in front of me screaming. He just kept coming. I figured I'd let him get as close as possible before I shot...…..51 yards. 28 minutes, after waiting 26 years, I finally have my bull!

To be hones the moment took my breath away. To have my 73 year old dad on the mountain with me to experience this was priceless. I had everyone on the mountain with me that I had been hunting with since I was 14 along with my 2 sons, and 2 friends that were instrumental in this hunt. Thanks to everyone on this forum that gave me pointers and ideas of where to start. I guess dreams do come true.

For those of you who want to play "what does it score" give me your guess, I have the number but would like to hear what you think, I'll update later.

View attachment 94487

View attachment 94488

View attachment 94489

View attachment 94490

View attachment 94491

View attachment 94492

View attachment 94493
Great bull that mountain did not disappoint this year. I got my dream bull as well and had the family with. Hard to beat the memories you made on that hunt.??

Thats a dandy!! I always think a perfect 6x6 bull is the dream bull then when you see a bull with character and a unique rack it changes my mind. Beautiful bull!!

Awesome bull, Congrats.

I love how people feel the need to interject their own negative feelings on scoring into every post that brings it up. lol If it's not for you then it's not for you do not need to let the world know.

Nothing wrong with scoring an animal, and I bet that guy did not disappoint.

I'm betting he hit 380 and then some.

Congrats on the great memories made there. Awesome. Thanks for sharing. 370 if it matters. The memories with family and friend are what it's about.

Hell of a bull. Harder to put a guess number out there for me, because his lower end including the 4th are so big. No doubter WOW factor bull to me. I am in the 370ish range for a guess.

Awesome bull, Congrats.

I love how people feel the need to interject their own negative feelings on scoring into every post that brings it up. lol If it's not for you then it's not for you do not need to let the world know.

Nothing wrong with scoring an animal, and I bet that guy did not disappoint.

I'm betting he hit 380 and then some.
I love how there is an unwritten rule that everyone should abide by for keeping opinions to themselves while others can say what they want because they somehow know the unwritten rule book that doesn’t exist. Just skip on by the posts you don’t like because it’s not for you to let the world know what you like and don’t like….makes sense when you take a look in the mirror eh?

Congrats on a cool bull!!! Thanks for sharing and I would guess in the upper 370’s to low 380’s. Great memories

I love how there is an unwritten rule that everyone should abide by for keeping opinions to themselves while others can say what they want because they somehow know the unwritten rule book that doesn’t exist. Just skip on by the posts you don’t like because it’s not for you to let the world know what you like and don’t like….makes sense when you take a look in the mirror eh?
Awe did someone take offense??? I didn't call anyone out just think it's funny how offended you "meat" hunters get about a score.

By the way 380 bulls are cooler then 280 bulls. ?

We get that trophies are not solely measured in inches per se… but if you read the post, and didn’t just look at the pretty pictures. OP invited the score guessing and will let us know the actual score soon I hope. No matter that is a stud mature bull with loads of character

That pretty much describes the whole internet experience? JA?

My first inclination would be mid-370s.

No matter what the number is, that is an incredible bull, and one I’d kill on any tag in the state and be VERY happy with!

You did well. Nice job, and thanks for sharing. I love seeing hunters have success.

That Bull Didn't Get To Be That Caliber Of Bull without Living Past The DWR's BS Age Objectives!

I Like The Uniqueness of Your Bull!

What Does He Score:

BIG ENOUGH!

Was This a SmokePole Hunt?

I Only See One Orange Hat & an Orange Head of Hair?:D

You Waited Your Turn & Took an AWESOME Bull!

Nice Job!
Elk you need to quit putting in for SJ and apply for that unit. The thick cover gives those bulls age. Pretty hard to take advantage of all the gadgets when it’s too thick to shoot 700+ yds.

Awesome bull. Congratulations again. Can't wait to see the finished mount of him in the front room. Such a cool looking back end. All bladed out with extras.

Look, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, I will try harder to not too in our future interactions. Never figured you as the sensitive type.
*to….But your sentence structure needs some work too.

No apology necessary, as your judgment of character is so far off that it merits no further action on your behalf.

CWPRX Congratulation!
Simply Magnificent bull. I look at your bull’s right side and see:
G1 = 18”
G2 = 18”
G3 = 14”
G4 = 19”
G5 = 11”

80” Tine length
50” Beam
35” Mass
Total 165” x 2 = 330” + 48” spread = 378 plus 5” overall for bad eyes = 383 gross minimum.

A trophy for a lifetime of memories, around a warm fire as the years advance!

I'll bump my guess up a little after putting down some numbers from 371.
Left. 19,18,13,20,7,52= 129
Right 19,20,17,21,12,53= 142
Mass 32.5 x 2=65
Inside spread 43.
Total 379 gross.
Great bull

Great bull and it doesn't really matter what it scored. He is a shooter and trophy!
The bull might not have scored as high as most thought, and that is why the hunter isn't telling us what the bull scored?

View attachment 94487

View attachment 94488

View attachment 94489

View attachment 94490

View attachment 94491

View attachment 94492

View attachment 94493
Heck ya good times awesome bull

Great bull and I like your story. Super to have your dad there. Congrats to your whole family. I think he's in the upper 380's; maybe 390. A real trophy. But I do really agree that score doesn't matter.

Maybe this will get his attention.....328"...LOL
The 60 day drying period is over, lets hear the score!
Congrats on a great bull, short hunt and excellent company!
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom