270 145 gr eldx precision hunter

Blackbear1

i am looking for opinions on the 270 145 gr Eldx precision hunter on elk. I killed a cow at 400 yards with one last year. Put 2 rounds through lungs and she tipped over after about 1 minute. Found one bullet on the off shoulder hide that had about 80% weight retention. I chose this bullet because it has much better down range velocity at 400 yards then the old 150 grain corelokt that I had used for years. The eldx did its job but I was expecting to knock the elk down more quickly. 400 yards shot with the corelokt typically resulted in much quicker knockdowns. The eldx shoots great but now I am second guessing my decision to switch from the corelokt

I've never used the eldx bullet..I use the 150 gr nosler accubonds out of my 270 and they have been very deadly on elk

I used the eldx this year on a coues deer. Shot through both lungs and clipped liver at 530 yards. Buck went 30 yards and piled up. I have been impressed with how they shoot and pattern so far. I also quit core lokt for the eldx because of the ballistic difference.

Had questionable results with the eldx myself last year on elk. I switched back to Berger’s but for the 270 I would look at the 140 or 150 grain nosler accubonds.

Iv used the ELDX 143 grn in my 6.5X284 and have been happy so far. Exceptional accuracy and deadly on the Elk iv shot with it. Closest was a Spike at 200 yds complete pass through, dropped within 10'. Farthest , a large cow, 405 yds through both shoulders and stuck just inside the hide on the off side. She went down on the spot. Velocity at 400 yds is around 2300fps and energy arount 1740 ft/Lbs .
Edit found a pic of the slug. Didnt weigh it woyld guess around 60%

200127_072333_0.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd be careful about judging a bullet's capabilities off one animal's reaction. We all want them to drop dead in their tracks, but it's not always the bullet that determines whether or not that happens.

I'd be careful about judging a bullet's capabilities off one animal's reaction. We all want them to drop dead in their tracks, but it's not always the bullet that determines whether or not that happens.

Yep I agree. Doing a little hair splitting here. The elk died quickly with 2 well placed shots. When you have hunted as long as me sometimes all you have left to do is split hairs. LOL. I already put in all the work and got a new dial for CDS scope last year. I think I am sticking with the ElDX and using old reliable corelokt when I know shots won’t be far. I know many will disagree but the 270 has served me well for 30 years on everything from black bear to elk. If it isn’t broke.......

Yep I agree. Doing a little hair splitting here. The elk died quickly with 2 well placed shots. When you have hunted as long as me sometimes all you have left to do is split hairs. LOL. I already put in all the work and got a new dial for CDS scope last year. I think I am sticking with the ElDX and using old reliable corelokt when I know shots won’t be far. I know many will disagree but the 270 has served me well for 30 years on everything from black bear to elk. If it isn’t broke.......
Wouldn’t recommend switching back and forth ammunition if you know what your gun likes and what you have confidence in.
I have nothing against the .270. One of my most valuable possessions I own is a Pre64 .270 my old man passed down to me. Every time I pick it up I can feel the history in it and all the places and things it’s seen. I’d hate to guess how many animals have been harvested with it over years.

Coloradoboy

I completely agree old guns are as good as old friends. I have a pre64 in 264 win mag. It belonged to my grandfather and I used it to shoot a moose in the same canyon as my grandfather did 30 years earlier, now that is tradition.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom