270 bullet crisis! Help!

Longshot349

I have a spring black bear hunt and have always shot Nosler accubonds or partitions, but it's like Nosler has threw in the towel on ever making bullets again. I cant get them to even answer the phone or email. Sooooo, my question is this; what "AVAILABLE" 270 bullet should I look at? I do see Hornady Super Shock and ELD bullets for sale and a few of the Barnes, but I've never shot those brands. How do they compare with accubonds and partitions? I dont wanna track wounded bears, so I'm looking for something that would shot accurately and perform like my Noslers have for so long..... Signed, a very sad and grieving Nosler fan. :(

Barnes is a great bullet. They like to be pushed hard and hold together well.

Edit.
Here's some.

Last edited:
Barnes is a great bullet. They like to be pushed hard and hold together well.

Edit.
Here's some.
I'll message him. Thanks!

You might be over thing this. Every hunting bullet on the market has at some point successfully taken game. Find a couple different ones. Work up a load and make a good shot when it counts. Black bears aren’t that tough of a game animal to take down. I shoot Berger’s myself

+ 1 to mtmuley. I love Hammer Bullets because they are always available and they can be ordered online and delivered to your door generally within a week. Besides being great hunting bullets, they are more customer friendly than any bullet company I have ever worked with.
Just sayin.

I have a spring black bear hunt and have always shot Nosler accubonds or partitions, but it's like Nosler has threw in the towel on ever making bullets again. I cant get them to even answer the phone or email. Sooooo, my question is this; what "AVAILABLE" 270 bullet should I look at? I do see Hornady Super Shock and ELD bullets for sale and a few of the Barnes, but I've never shot those brands. How do they compare with accubonds and partitions? I dont wanna track wounded bears, so I'm looking for something that would shot accurately and perform like my Noslers have for so long..... Signed, a very sad and grieving Nosler fan. :(
The other brands you mentioned will kill any big game animal in north america just as, well as the accubonds as long as you do your part

Last edited:
+ 1 to mtmuley. I love Hammer Bullets because they are always available and they can be ordered online and delivered to your door generally within a week. Besides being great hunting bullets, they are more customer friendly than any bullet company I have ever worked with.
Just sayin.
Do you use the shock hammer or the hammer hunter?

He and I both use Hammer Hunter.
Make sure you have sufficient twist rate to use them since they’re a mono-metal bullet.
I go slightly light for caliber and they work great.
You probably have a 1 in 10” twist rate ??‍♂️ so plan accordingly.
Zeke

I use the Hammer Hunter. I have had wonderful success with them on game and they shoot lights out in all rifles I have tried them in. As with all mono bullets you can usually go down in weight and still get the same performance on game of a heavier cup and core.
For now I'd stay away from the Absolute Hammers just because they need a faster powder than conventional cup and core bullets and I've found that they are a little trickier to work up a load with.
Hammers are a little pricey, which I don't mind in a hunting bullet but in your case availability is key.
Look them up on the internet and give them a call. You will be able to talk to someone who can help you know exactly what you need for your hunt. You can also order sample packs of 15 to try different ones if you want to go that way.
Sorry, I sound like a salesman, but I'm just a converted fan.

You might be over thing this. Every hunting bullet on the market has at some point successfully taken game. Find a couple different ones. Work up a load and make a good shot when it counts. Black bears aren’t that tough of a game animal to take down. I shoot Berger’s myself
Yep, I was on a guided elk hunt and the guide insisted i shoot some nosler partitions which my 300win didn’t like , so I used my old federal classic 180gr , shoulder shot, was like pole axing that bull , some ammunition is usually better than you think.

The thing also about Hammers is a light for caliber bullet driven at high velocity is a very capable killer. It's a bit hard to wrap your head around, but the results speak for themselves. And yes, they are always in stock, and CS is second to none. mtmuley

Hammers sound a lot like Barnes. I notice their BC is quick poor but speed can make that up to a degree. How is the down range trajectory. Talking 400 ish yards here.

You have to notice if they are using a G7 or G1 BC. The Hunters are G7. Inside 400, you won't notice a difference.

I have shot exactly 1 at a game animal, and I am sold on the Hammers.

152 Hunter in my 30-06.

Load development is rather easy. I have not found it tough to have them shoot well. Performance is similar to Barnes, but they fragment the petals do not stay intact. I use the 199 HH in a 300. Make sure you have the proper twist rate for the individual bullet.

I’ve been in the same boat looking for partitions for my 7mm. Can’t get em. I’m going to load some 150 grain Barnes TTSX I have seen plenty of them around and in .270 as well. It’s a dang good bullet too.

If you watch at Federals website every so often you can get the trophy bonded tipped bullets for .270.

I’ve been shooting them in my .270wsm and my 300win for several years on everything from antelope, WT, mule deer and elk. The few bullets I’ve recovered have been ~70% weight retention. Most, I never see again.

If you don’t know the bullet, take a look. To me, it’s the best hybrid between a full mono bullet and a bonded lead bullet.

3 mule deer kills at 288-960 . With the 300 RUM … I always shoot the Berger 190 grain bullet 28” barrel 3275 FPS.

2 bull killed with same load, 578 and 613
Nothing went more than 40 yards.

However, I had the experience to shoot 2 bull elk with the 6.5 creedmoor at 585 and 623 with factory 143 eldx. Through the lungs. BBD 80 yard tracking . 20 tracking job on the second.
You put a good projectile through both lungs. Give some time golden!!!

JUST know how to shoot these smaller calibers, and don’t believe you have as much cushion for 30. Vs 6.5 as some guys will tell ya.

A great mule deer hunter in central and south east Idaho killed many big deer with a 220.swift. If you know you can hit a buck on his second vertebrae at 200 yards of hand.. this is mule deer hunting……

A great mule deer hunter in central and south east Idaho killed many big deer with a 220.swift. If you know you can hit a buck on his second vertebrae at 200 yards of hand.. this is mule deer hunting……
and that has WHAT to do with me looking for 270 accubonds???

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom