270 load question

whitwell_56

Does anyone have a pet load for a 270 they would be willing to share. I am trying to get a load worked up for my deer hunt. I have 130, 140 and 150 grain bullets.

The standard powder for a 270 is H4831sc I prefer the short cut. I load mine but you need to work up to it but 60 grains of H4831 is a great load for most 270's and you need to work down as you go up in weight. I would check your reloading manauls but H4831 is a great 270 powder.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Thanks guys. I have been loading with 4831sc. Just haven't gotten the groups I was hoping for. I will try working up to 60 grains with the 130's.

>Thanks guys. I have been
>loading with 4831sc. Just
>haven't gotten the groups I
>was hoping for. I
>will try working up to
>60 grains with the 130's.
>

Have you played with seating depth?..H4831sc is what we use for 270's ...
horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I've tried H4831 in 3 different 270s and none of them liked it. (go figure) If your test loads aren't grouping I'd try a different bullet or a different powder, or both. When you happen upon a combination that the rifle likes, you'll know it. At that point you can fine tune it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-11 AT 02:11PM (MST)[p]To get my oal I use a hornady gauge. There are other methods if can go utube there are several guys showing how they do it. I think the hornady guage is the simplest way.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

What kind of groups you getting? Hoping for? Are you 100% sure it's not the scope or loose bases? For the three rifles I have loaded for this year, all like the bullet seated near the lands. So as recommended by others, play with that seating depth.

Groups right now are spread over a couple of inches. I was hoping to be less than 1" at 100 yards. I'll recheck the scope rings and bases to make sure that something hasn't loosened up on me.

I have never loaded for this rifle before and am hoping I just haven't found what it likes. I'll keep trying till I do.

I guess that is half the fun after all.

Been a long time, I used to load with 59 gr. of H4831. Bullet was 130 gr. can't remember the brand. What I do remember is that if I went over 59gr with a boat tail bullet that I would lose my pattern and would even get a "flyer". I messed with hotter loads but never could get the groups I wanted.

I shoot a Browning A-bolt in .270

The best load I have found is using Reloader 22 powder (56 grains, I think, but I'd have to double check) behind 130 grain Accubonds. This combination gives 5 shot groups under 1" at 100 yards. I've been very happy with it.

I havn't been able to get H 4831 to shoot in my 270 or 30-06. But both really like H 4350. In my 270 I am shooting 130 gr Hornady spire points at less than 1".

try 53.0 grains IMR 4350 and 130 grain bullet. This load usually gives very good to exceptional accuracy though it is below max load when you find correct seating depth for your gun. It will yield around 2950-3000 ft/ sec with most guns with 24 "tube. It is a load that I've used for decades and works well in most .270's and is very consistant. It's not the fastest load out there but It's always brought home the bacon in the field and never disappointed at the bench. You may find a slight increase in powder may help in your gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom