270 weatherby BAR loads

ce61

My buddy wants me to load him up some ammo for his 270 Weatherby. It is a Browning autoloader. Anyone ever load for one? Is there a powder burn speed to stay with for being an autoloader?? Thanks for any help, ce61

I've been contemplating a .270 Weatherby Mag.
Not many using those these days. I haven't ran into alot of info for 24"_22" barrel velocities from anyone yet. It's mostly 26" guns that are out there.
I have a 24" barreled .270 win that I might rechamber.
Hopefully you have better luck getting info than I have.

don't waste the money milllwork if you aren't putting a longer barrel...unless you just like to see flame....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

You are probably right there Homer.
Though I would do the work myself, so not super costly.
Regardless, if it doesn't make sense then it doesn't make sense.

Seems a bit like putting a 428 SCJ in a Granada but whatever.

If you're going to do it you may need small base dies. everyone I know who used to load for BAR's used them.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

thanks for the reply, I tried finding small base dies, but don't believe they were ever made in this caliber. Right now trying to figure if the gas system needs a particular powder burning speed to operate. Thanks ce61

>Right
>now trying to figure if
>the gas system needs a
>particular powder burning speed to
>operate. Thanks ce61
>

No but it may require a certain pressure level to operate reliably...but you can get to those pressures with any number of powders.

I had a 270 Wby for a short while but a wild sheep hunt loomed and it was sold to cover airfare. That thing was a Mark V and a fine shooter too but I never shot a critter with it. I've killed near countless animals now with a 270 WSM which is near the same and even more with the vanilla 270 Win. They all work!

Zeke

#livelikezac

I have a 270 Weatherby Mark 5 with a Swarovski on top and it's the pride of my collection. Noting (of mine) shoots tighter. I have it dialed in at 100yards shooting 1/2 groups. I used to buy Weatherby ammo (130 Barnes TSX) at $96 a box and it grouped well but the expense seemed too high and not enough foot pounds of energy at long distances for Elk. I started reloading and found (rather easy, only 7 recipes tried) 140 grain Nosler Accubond with 70 grains of VIHT N560 shoves the projectile out the muzzle at 3250 fps.(4500 ft elev) And at 600 yards still carries 1593 foot pounds of energy.
Now if I could get my 300wsm that tight I would be really happy. I am on recipe # 8 for that rifle and still can't get anything tighter than 1 inch groups.
I have till fall to work out the bugs.
PB

Just dialed in the 300wsm.....
Tight as I could get is .75 inch groups at 100yds.
180gr Nosler Accubonds, 65.6 grains of H4831sc, CCI 250 primers
Muzzle velocity....2726fps / chrono (not the hottest, but the best groups)
1600+ ft lbs of energy at 500 yds
PB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom