.270 win

M

mengland

I recently bought a weatherby vanguard in the .270 win caliber. I would like some good loads for big New Mexico mule deer. I hunt in the central part of the state and many shots presented are usually under 150 yards. I have a leupold scope mounted, so some suggestions on loads would be greatly appreciated.

The .270 is not to particular. I've used, about, 49 grns of 4064, and 61 of AA3100, behind a 130, they may not die from the bullet hitting them, but the fall will kill them for sure (lifted right off their feet, they will be)

On deer, I'd use a 130, or 140.

BTW, Jack O'Conner loaded upto 51.0 of 4064, w/49.5 grns being the most accurate. BE AWARE, My book stops at 49 grains. SOOOO>>>both those loads are considered H-O-T.

For a bullet, I'd try the new Nosler Accubond in 140 grains. I think it's up to the rifle to determine which powder and charge it likes best. RL 19 and the 4350's should be good powders to start reloading with.

Doug/Red Rabbit

mengland
i've had good luck with 54 gr of hodgdon 4350, hornady 130 gr SST's, and winlarge primers seated to 3.320 overall length.

shawn cooksey

I get great accuracy with Hornady's 130 gr. SP backed by 59 gr. of Hodgon 4831SC. If I am doing my part it's not difficult to get sub MOA with this load. I am going to try Barnes 140 gr BTX this year using the same combo (59 gr. 4831SC). My accurcy is not as good with the Barnes bullet but I can occasionaly get sub MOA groups with it.

400bull

270 win

I've been shooting Remington Factory loads for the past couple of years. When my Dad moved to Idaho he took all the reloader equipment with him, I was shooting a 150gr barns X. Now I'm shooting the Remington Safari load. I'm shooting a 140gr round, its just under 3000 feet per second. I've shot two deer and three spike elk with this load, not one animal ran more then 50 yards before killing over. At fifty yards in a gun rest I'm getting a great grouping, you could cover it with a 50 cent piece. Good luck

i hunt everthing with a 270 deer elk bear
our reloads are 53.5 granes of 4350 and a 130 speer botail bullet they shot about 2900 fps and as fof now nothings got away yet

I have found that 54.3 gr of imr 4350 combined with a 130gr nosler ballistic tip, primed with ofcourse cci magnum primer is the ultimate...the ultimate load..as good as you can shoot'em. approx 3080 fps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom