,270 wsm

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
has any one read about the new .270 wsm being made by browning? i was on their website today and it says that from 100-300 yeards it drops 16.98 inches. i am sure that is with a zero at 100 yards but i do not find those numbers impressive at all. that is also with a 130 grain bullet. i am thinking about getting one of these for my dad. if he shoots around 100 grain bullets for dee that should be more than enough. why are these numbers not impressive or am i just a dummy?
casey

Those sure dont sound right to me but I am no gun expert. I would look at some more ballistics charts before I got one. Drummond

Casey,
Those figures didn't sound right to me either, so I went to the Browning website. The drop of 16.98" was the drop from BORE. With a 100 yard zero, they quote a drop of 9.02" @ 300 yards for the 270 WSM and a drop of 10.89" for the regular 270 Winchester @ 300 yards (both with 130 grain bullets).

In regards to using the 100 grain bullets, I would use the 130's.
If the 270 WSM matches the Weatherby's ballistics, it would be a great caliber to use on your or your dad's next whitetail.

This morning, we chronographed a guy's new 300 WSM Browning A-bolt at 3131 fps using 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips factory loads. Winchester publishes 3300 fps for this factory load.
Things don't always end up like they say.

You might want to go to a website devoted to the new shortmags for more info.
www.shortmag.org

Good luck,
Red Rabbit

Casey: I just read an article in NRA's October 2002 issue. They did not print a ballistic chart, but like Red said, they claim the same/identical ballistics as the Weatherby. The muzzle velocity was listed and verified by the authors chronograph at 3275 fps using a 130 grain ballistic tip. This would be perfect coues medicine.I would go to Winchesters web site and you probably can get ballistics easier than at brownings......... Allen Taylor......

I just got one of them and I am pritty imprested with it. I hand load and am playing with a 130gr bullet at 3300 fps. At the range I sighted in at 3" high at 100 yards. Then I went to the desert near home and shot 300 yards (I was dead on) 400 yards (I was 4"-7" low) 500 yards (I was 19"- 23" low) In the Hornady book my test was pritty close to what they had. I was very imprested with it. I got the Winchester I have long arms a it felt better to me then the browning. Trying to get readly for my Dec tag can't wait. It has been a good year of hunting for me. I hope that it keeps on going. Hope this helped if you need any more info got ahold of me on a post.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom