270 WSM

S

stuckinca

what do u guys think of this round? i just got a modle 70 today in the coyote model. have a nice thick barrel and looks pretty sweet. the gun looks pretty good on paper. wanted something to reach out a little more on deer and what have u. anybody got any ideas of killing power range?
stuck

i still don't know what to think of the "short magnum" craze. ballistically they are kinda neat, i guess. most of them equal or maybe better the ballistics of the "traditional" cartridges they are designed to replace, and do so using a little less powder. Newton realized this back before the turn of the 20th century and designed quite a few cartidges then that were short, fat and beltless. i have so dang many guns that buying a new one doesn't make much sense, or i probably would have a short mag. only drawbacks i can see is that the shoulder angle is so steep that you might have feed problems sometimes and the magazine capacity is only 2 on most of them. but it shoots a little faster and flatter the old .270, a little slower than a weatherby, with less powder. so those are good things. so i would think that as far as effective range, it would be in same ratio. ought to be a slick setup. let us know how it works out. i'm sure interested.

I think it is a great round and is much better than the .270 win. Standard killing power for deer is 1000+ ft. lbs. of engery and 2000+ ft. lbs. of engergy for elk. Most hunting bullets for the .270 WSM will have 1000+ ft. lbs. of energy to about 600 yards and 2000+ ft. lbs to about 300 yards.

is this killing power formula for real? never heard of that. i like to lung shoot em and let bleed to death. as far as it being "much better", i don't know about that either. from what i've been able to gather, you can get close to 200 fps more with 130 gr bullets in the short mag, over factory load .270 win. my reloads are just about equal, less than 50 fps slower, than the short mag. with 140 gr bullets anyway. but it also requires a lot more powder to get there.

I've never heard it referred to as a "formula", but I have heard those numbers for tears referred to as a reasonable minimum for hunting deer and elk. I tend to agree. I'm with you RLH, I want at least one of every calibre ever manufactured but there is really not alot of advantage of one over the other specically for hand loaders.I had a cousin buy a super 7 years ago who swore it shot flatter than any other rifle. I asked him if we were to put the same barrels on them, 1-a super7 and 1-7mm rem mag and load both to 3200 fps with the same bulles, which would shoot flatter? He swore the super 7 would shoot flatter. Thats when I learned some people just don't get it.

JB

thanks guy for ur in put. i cant wait to get it. but here in CA we have to wait 10 days to pick up a rifle. sure does suck. but i cant wait to get it and let some rounds go down it. i sold a lot of guns because i was moving to new zealand but a lot of things happend and i decided to stay. so i have to start all over again buying guns. sure does suck. but the gun is about 9 pounds so its got some weight to it for a 270 but i am planing on taking it into the moutians this deer season and giving it a try. i will post about it and tell u all how is shoot
thanks again
stuck

If you are worried about the weight look at the new sako they just came out with. It's called the Tikka T3 Lite. Amazing gun but really hard to get a hold of at least here in ut.
Scout'em up
Scout

I was a thinking, that some gun writer had tested one, and actual fps was no better than the standard .270.

I dont' remember who, and I might be making it up.

But, it would not be the lst time that the gunmakers have lied about new cartridges fps.

I plan on waiting and see what falls on its face, and what sticks around for awhile.

I have the stainless M70. The recoil is very reasonable, and it has good accuracy for a factory barrel. With a 26" barrel it ought to have the same velocity as the Weatherby. The only shot I have made so far was at a pronghorn at about 30 yards. The results were impressive (not that most cartridges would not do pretty good at that range), with an exit wound in the neck about the size of my fist.

I have resisted using a magnum hunting rifle for years, but when I did the numbers this 270 WSM should have about the longest point blank range of any reasonably available cartridge, on par with the Weatherbys and long Ultra Mags, with a whole lot less recoil.

I bought a new .270 WSM in a Winchester Model 70 Coyote Model. I put a box of rounds through it on paper before the season started. At 100 yards I had a 3 shot group that i could cover with a quater. I never shot it farther than 100 yards. Well this year on an antelope hunt, I shot a buck at 437 yards and dropped him with one shot. It was amazing how flat and how fast this gun shoots. I wouldn't trade this gun for anything. Its an amazing caliber, and I would suggest it to anybody wanting to buy a new gun.

One shot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom