270 wsm

ironhead

I have been looking at buying a new rifle and really like the 270. I like the tikka 3 lite by sako. Would you go with the 300 wsm or the 270 wsm. It will be a deer gun not an elk gun. Any comments?

Ironhead,

That's a nice set up. If it were me, I'd go with the 270 wsm. It's plenty for deer, and from what I've read, it's been effective on elk as well. Put a good pad on that t3 lite, though. The ones that come on them are a little hard.

WH

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-06 AT 08:44AM (MST)[p]That .270wsm is a great cartridge that will work very well for what you're planning on doing. I think you'll find it may be your gun of choice. Most guys love them and they are a bit more comfortable to shoot than the .300wsm. Both cartridges have shown to be very accurate and should be around a long time. You can't go wrong with either one. I personally would opt for the .270wsm because you're going to be hunting deer sized game a lot more than elk in the big picture and it will still work on elk.

i love my 270 wsm, great deer round, and i carried it and my 30-06 for my elk hunt. wouldnt hesitate to only carry it for my elk hunt, also carried it on a bear hunt.
Casey

I purchased two new Tikka T3 lites last year after selling a couple other rifles - one in 338 win mag. and one 270 wsm. Great guns obviously they pack a thump with reduced weight but I think they are a tremendous gun for the cost. I considered a 300 wsm but that 270 wsm is such a nice round and does have less recoil. If you are not hunting elk - and by the way the 270 wsm would do the job on elk if you don't plan on shooting 300+ yard IMO, than I would definitely go with the 270 wsm. I don't think you would ever regret your decision.

I have both the 300wsm and the 270wsm. I really like them both very much but have found that my 270wsm has become my "go to" rifle.

Thanks guys I appreciate everyones input. I will be buying the 270 wsm, shot my friends yesterday. Sweet gun and caliber. gonna top it with a Zeis conquest 3.5 x 10 with the 44 mm tube. Cant wait.

I have a .270WSM and for deer I think this is a good caliber. But personaly speaking if I was just looking at a gun for deer then I would buy a .270. I have used both and a .300 Win. Mag. and for deer the .270 is enough. Don't ask why I bought the .270WSM because I really don't know myself. But don't tell my wife that.

I purchased the Tikka in 270wsm earlier this year and have been real happy with it.In fact i just got back from the range and with factory ammo i'm shooting 7/8" groups.My only complaint is it does have a little muzzle blast if i don't hold the front end down it will jump off my rest when i fire it.After this hunting season i am going to look into some type of muzzle break to help minimize this.

One thing not forget regarding elk medicine and the 270, is a handload using a 160gr Nosler Semi Spitzer Partition. I have used it for many years in my 270 Win and it ought to be a sweet load in a fast handling 270WSM in the dark timber.
My load is 2700fps, not a barn burner by any means, just a throughly trust worthy, easy on the meat hunting load. Always punching a nice 3/4" to 1" bore hole through the elk. Leaving a excellent blood trail, the animal is always on the ground very quickly.
My first kill with the load was a bull running through the timber broadside. I hit him higher than I would like, square in the shoulder blades. It punched a 50 cent piece size hole thru the shoulder plates, thankfully it hit the spine too. I learned my lesson, but I also learned that I could trust that bullet.

Don

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom