270 WSM

stillwaitin

So I have been shooting a 270 WSM for quite a while now. I love the gun and it performs really well. However, finding factory ammo for it can be a pain. I have mostly stuck with Winchester, I shot the XP3 and loved them, but then they were discontinued. So then I switched to the Accubond 140 grain and now it looks like they are going away as well. So I hate to keep switching, but here we are.
I was thinking of switching to the Hornady ELD-X they just released as factory loads for the 270 WSM. They are 145 grain. Has anyone used them for elk? How do they perform? I would like to be able to reach out a ways for mule deer, 5-600 yards or so. Most of my elk hunting though would be under that range. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

love the cartridge... I load 140 gr Bergers for my sons 270wsm and its claimed the life of quite a few dear and elk... I did buy some 145 ELD-X's to load and try out, I just haven't had the time yet...

I'm sure you would be happy with those Hornady factory loads...

This is why I load my own. Been using 140 gr AB's for about 10 yrs now out of my .270 WSM, as well as my 7MM WSM.

Never have tried Hornady ELDX's because the AB's have done well for me.

> love the cartridge... I
>load 140 gr Bergers for
>my sons 270wsm and its
>claimed the life of quite
>a few dear and elk...
>I did buy some 145
>ELD-X's to load and try
>out, I just haven't had
>the time yet...
>
>I'm sure you would be happy
>with those Hornady factory loads...
>

Hey Tikka?

You Got any of the 'dear' Pics?:D

Tikka Jr has probably got many!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I have been using the 140 grain Accubond for years in mine and it has performed perfectly. I get mine from Underwood Ammo online. Might check them out.

Any of you that hand load try the Barnes all coppers? I am thinking about loading some 129gr. LRX or 110gr. TTSX bullets. Would appreciate any load info or bullet performance info at longer ranges.

Thanks
Bill

I shoot 130g. TTSX in mine
Barnes bullets have always performed well for me and this gun is no exception.
I killed the best buck of my life with it at about 400 yds, but I only shoot further when there is no option to get closer.
It has always been my experience that the Barnes X configuration seems to perform like a heaver jacketed bullet, so I would not be the least worried to shoot an elk with it.
For what my opinion is worth.

>> love the cartridge... I
>>load 140 gr Bergers for
>>my sons 270wsm and its
>>claimed the life of quite
>>a few dear and elk...
>>I did buy some 145
>>ELD-X's to load and try
>>out, I just haven't had
>>the time yet...
>>
>>I'm sure you would be happy
>>with those Hornady factory loads...
>>
>
>Hey Tikka?
>
>You Got any of the 'dear'
>Pics?:D
>
>Tikka Jr has probably got many!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Hey Bess, you know better than that, all my ?dear? pics had to go to horsecorn for a spotter...?

I quit shooting barnes after hitting a coyote 3 times with a 300 win mag and still losing it. I know I know a coyote isn't very solid but still.... any other bullet they don't go anywhere.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I shoot HSM factory ammo 150 grain Bergers in my Sako Tecomate. I used to use Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Partitions but it looks like they are discontinued. Good luck.

>I quit shooting barnes after hitting
>a coyote 3 times with
>a 300 win mag and
>still losing it. I know
>I know a coyote isn't
>very solid but still.... any
>other bullet they don't go
>anywhere.
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Man, that's one tough coyote.:D

Years ago I use to handload light grain Hornady V-max in my 22-250 way north of max. This was my go to predator load, very accurate , flat shooting, and no signs of over pressure even though they were loaded very hot. On cats and coyotes they would usually incinerate inside the animal. Must my shots were 100 to 400 yards. Anyways, once calling with my daughter I let a coyote get to close so she could see it up close. At 25 yards I hit it in the front shoulder quarting towards us. Coyote spun around and bee lined down the canyon. At first I thought I missed, then I noticed it had a noticeable limp. Hour and a half latter I caught up to the coyote and finished it off. The bullet was going so fast that when it hit the shoulder bone it incinerated. Making a grapefruit size hole about an inch deep without breaking the bone. Point is no bullet is make to perform perfect under all conditions.
Bill

Just got a cow elk with these a few days ago. Killed her quick. Lots of internal damage. 400 yards. No complaints.

>So I have been shooting a
>270 WSM for quite a
>while now. I love the
>gun and it performs really
>well. However, finding factory ammo
>for it can be a
>pain. I have mostly stuck
>with Winchester, I shot the
>XP3 and loved them, but
>then they were discontinued. So
>then I switched to the
>Accubond 140 grain and now
>it looks like they are
>going away as well. So
>I hate to keep switching,
>but here we are.
>I was thinking of switching to
>the Hornady ELD-X they just
>released as factory loads for
>the 270 WSM. They are
>145 grain. Has anyone used
>them for elk? How do
>they perform? I would like
>to be able to reach
>out a ways for mule
>deer, 5-600 yards or so.
>Most of my elk hunting
>though would be under that
>range. Any thoughts or other
>recommendations?

I just killed a cow elk last week at 400yards with the Hornady 145 ELD-x factory loads. DRT. Lots of internal damage. Shot sub-minute in my gun.

>So I have been shooting a
>270 WSM for quite a
>while now. I love the
>gun and it performs really
>well. However, finding factory ammo
>for it can be a
>pain. I have mostly stuck
>with Winchester, I shot the
>XP3 and loved them, but
>then they were discontinued. So
>then I switched to the
>Accubond 140 grain and now
>it looks like they are
>going away as well. So
>I hate to keep switching,
>but here we are.
>I was thinking of switching to
>the Hornady ELD-X they just
>released as factory loads for
>the 270 WSM. They are
>145 grain. Has anyone used
>them for elk? How do
>they perform? I would like
>to be able to reach
>out a ways for mule
>deer, 5-600 yards or so.
>Most of my elk hunting
>though would be under that
>range. Any thoughts or other
>recommendations?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-18 AT 01:10PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-18 AT 08:31?AM (MST)

A question for you 270 WSM fans.

What would the value be of a new in the box Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow (synthetic stock, blued barrel) rifle in 270 WSM be worth?

The gun is several years old but, has never been shot.

Thanks for any info you could provide.

ClearCreek

Edit - this rifle is a "super shadow", and not a black shadow

Bought mine for $400 back in '08 or so, so figure 3% increase per year for the past 10 yrs so somewhere in the neighborhood of $525 - $550.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom