28 Nosler

hhunter23

anyone reload for this cartridge? whats been your experience? whats the recipes that you have tried? good/bad?
ive got a christensen ridgeline that i am going to mess with and see what it likes. so far ive shot the 162 ELD-X factory ammo. im going to try the, 168 Berger VLD hunting, the 180 berger VLD hunting, and the 175 ELD-X, and the 160 nosler accubonds. anyone have experience shooting these bullets out of the 28 nosler?

I'm using the factory 162 eld x and am grouping quite well, I have not enough used brass to re-load yet and it's quite expensive, I will wait awhile before I start, please keep us posted on your results, thanks,

I'd look at the 180 Berger hybrid, or the 175 elite hunter. The hybrid style bullets are much easier to get a good load, as they don't care too much about how far off the lands they are. Reloder 33 will give the highest velocities, but it's fairly temp sensitive. Retumbo or H1000 will be about 100 fps slower, but very stable in temp extremes.

hows the performance on the bergers for hunting? ive been reading mixed reviews on them so im a little leary, but so many people are shooting them that its got me intrigued. that accubond is so hard to beat as far as impact performance.

My experience with Bergers is the 150 grain VLD's in .270 Weatherby and for deer and antelope sized game and a purposeful double lunch shot they hammer the animal. Have yet to have one run over about 40 yards, have used on about 15-20 deer, antelope, and hogs. The flat out shoot any other round in that rifle as well. I have not had the chance to use one on an elk but based on the significant expansion and deterioration of the round I would personally prefer a different round on elk sized animals. But that's just my opinion. Also try Hendershot's in Hagerstown Maryland for custom loading. They do a great job and can load anything you want for only a little more then factory.

Bergers are an amazing bullet that have never failed me, my family, or friends. I do not know a single person personally that doesn't love them. The issue is getting them to shoot in your gun. If your gun can shoot bergers accurately, it is my belief that it's the best bullet available. Ive seen them drop elk in there tracks by knocking out both front shoulders on many long range shots under 1000 yards. I've watched elk pour blood out at 650 yards on a double lung shot through a 20 power scope, and only make it 40 yards. I've never seen any bullet leave a blood trail like a berger, which is comparable to a broadhead blood trail. One bull elk was shot at close range in the ball joint of the close front shoulder, the bullet decimated nearly all vitals and destroyed the far shoulder with no exit. Bull didn't move an inch.

The only 2 calibers I have ever heard of pass through problems with is the 300 win(friend has one that drops animals but almost never passes through) and 25-06. I shot an antelope in the vitals with 25-06 with no pass through. Ran 30 yards full speed and dropped dead. No piece of lung larger than a hand left. A different friend had an almost identical experience with a 25-06 and an antelope. Both large bucks.

Personal experience with 26 nosler, 7mm rem mag, and 30-338 have all been amazing. I will never shoot any other bullet. I will sell a gun immediately if it won't shoot bergers. Have killed a lot of animals with berger. Moose, elk, deer and antelope. Personally only my antelope didn't have a pass through.

Nothing wrong with Accubonds at all. In my personal experience I've found the Bergers to be much more consistent once you get past about 500 yards. If you have no plans to shoot farther than that, they would be a great choice. But, if you want to stretch that 28 to it's potential, one of the Berger hybrids would be my #1 choice.

Even in the smaller calibers I've seen them drop big bulls at 40 yards, and at 650+.

The 28Nosler and 180gr Berger/195gr Berger are deadly combos. RL33, IMR 8133 or Retumbo is where I’d start. Nosler brass is decent. If I was buying new brass to start loading I’d look for some ADG or Gunwerks brass.

Mine loves 180/195 Bergers with h1000. You aren’t really taking advantage of the 28’s capabilities if you’re not tuning 175 to 180 grain bullets at minimum. I’m not sure the Christensen will be able to run the 190s with your mag length but the 180 hybrids are a great bullet also. RL33 will produce the highest velocities but I try and stay away from RL due to it being extremely unstable at different temps. H1000/retumbo are going to be much more stable and produce a much better and consistent ES.

Last edited:
I shoot 168 accu LR through my 28 with H1000 and have had good luck. I initially started with bergers because I like them but my gun sprayed them a little more so I tried accu LR and they do very well. seems to hold 1/2 to 1 groups anytime conditions are perfect for it.

thanks for all the replies. everything thats been said is on par with the research ive been doing, i just need to do my own testing now. H1000/retumbo is a unicorn right now so getting my hands on some will take a little digging and being patient.
how has the brass longevity been?
hows barrel life been?

Cforrest_88,
have you hunted with the LR accubond? how did the bullet hold up? ive been hearing the LR AB isnt as good as the original AB? dont get me wrong, im a huge nosler fan, but just what ive been reading and hearing from people.

IMR 8133 or 7977 would also be a good choice if you can't find the others. 7977 Generally uses about the same charge weight at H1000 and similar velocities. 8133 is a tad slower, closer to Retumbo.

Mine likes RL 33 and it really likes 195g VLDs. (best group.38 MOA) But I have a 1:8 twist barrel. I've also loaded 175g LR Accubonds with good results as well (best group .56 MOA). Your rifle may not like what mine does, but, from what I have found, RL 33 seems to be the powder of choice for most.

Good luck on powders, went to my local Sportsman’s Warehouse today and reloading supplies were flying out the door...

I load and shoot 180 Berger hunters in my 7RUM. Have taken several bull elk, deer, and lopes
From 50 to 400 yds with none making it more than 30 yds, most dropping in their tracks.
I'm a believer.

195 Berger elite hunter. 78.5 vihtavuori n570 f215 primer. Velocity is 3025 FPS from 26 inch 8 twist bartlin. Extreme velocity spread is normally about 10 FPS. Took the rifle to southern Colorado last fall for the first time and took a 175 inch 3x4 mule deer at 160 yds. Bullet performance was excellent

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom