280 Ackley?

slamdunk

I have a chance to pick up a beautiful Kimber rifle done in Badlands camo chambered in 280 Ackley Improved for under a grand, brand new.
In studying the ballistics of it, it's pretty neck to neck with the 7mm Rem mag (which I've never been overly excited about).
However, handloads look to be more enticing.
I currently shoot a 338 Lapua, 300 Weatherby and 6.5CM quite frequently.
Would this 280AI be a nice addition to my current line up, or a waste of Covid bucks?

I don't know about that particular rifle, but there are lots of guys who rave about their 280ai, especially if you roll your own. Plenty of bullet options for multiple species hunts. It would fill the niche between your 300 and your 6.5. (We all have way more than we need).

Another new gun is always a good idea. I don’t have any Kimber Rifles, but I hear they’re good. I have a 280 AI built from a M700. It’s my go to gun. The reason I picked that cartridge is because Brass is offered new, it’s an improvement from my .270 WIN that I used for years, and better bullets are available. I too have a 6.5CM and 300WBY. The 6.5 is a target gun and won’t go on any hunting trip with me, it’s 14lbs. The 300WBY is also a build off of a M700. I use it as a backup gun. There are more sporting rifles I have in the cabinet, but those are the only two that get the most attention.

I built one on a 700 action with a Lilja barrel. Very impressed with the way the rifle shoots and the velocities achieved.
Kimbers usually shoot well but some don’t....but I suppose that can be said of most any brand.
Buy it and enjoy the thing!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom