280 AI -Nosler E-tip 140 gr.

bodhi

Finally found some ammo for my new 280 AI. anyone use E-tip ammo recently? How did it perform on deer size game? they seem to have good reviews but I've never used this ammo before. It's either this gun or my 06 with a 165 accubond. I know what the accubond will do but want to reach out a little more with the Ackley.

Thanks,
B

Haven’t ever messed with the E-tip. Always found the sweet spot for the 280ai to be the 160ish grain range. 168 Berger VLD, 162 grain eldx and 160 accubond to name a few.

A 140 mono bullet is about as long as a 160 range cup and core so a 140 e-tip seems about right to me.
I’ve shot a ton of mono-metals but that’s been Barnes and now Hammer.
They should perform well if they shoot well enough in your rifle.
Sorry, I have no hard facts for that Bullets

Zeke

We have shot over a dozen deer, antelope, and cow elk with 100 grain etips out of a 25-06 AI. performance has always been great and we never got a bullet back until my daughters mule deer last year. The shot was 360 yards quartering slightly toward us. She punched it in the onside shoulder killing it very quickly. While skinning we found the bullet near the rear ham. Perfect mushroom and weighed 95 grains.

I actually think the 140 will be perfect for the 280 AI because monolithic bullets perform better at higher impact velocities. Should kill anything you hit with ease.-------SS

We have shot over a dozen deer, antelope, and cow elk with 100 grain etips out of a 25-06 AI. performance has always been great and we never got a bullet back until my daughters mule deer last year. The shot was 360 yards quartering slightly toward us. She punched it in the onside shoulder killing it very quickly. While skinning we found the bullet near the rear ham. Perfect mushroom and weighed 95 grains.

I actually think the 140 will be perfect for the 280 AI because monolithic bullets perform better at higher impact velocities. Should kill anything you hit with ease.-------SS
good to hear! I hope my gun likes them.

Be careful at distance and pay attention to velocities. Mono bullets expand at high velocity. Saw my dad shoot a mule deer at 350 last year with 140 gr Barnes ttsx, 280 AI. Hit both lungs, a little low, took a while to die, he fell where all we could see were his antlers. Upon butchering the bullet had hardly expanded at all. I shoot ttsx out of my 338, but at about 3200 fps, never had a problem. So consider impact velocity(ie what range you anticipate shooting) not just muzzle velocity.

I have a 280 ai and my gun will shoot the eTips ok, but nothing like the 143 gr Hammer Hunters. My groups at 300 yards with the eTips are in the 3-5 inch range. I can get the hammers to shoot under an inch at 300 yards. Went to the range yesterday and have two groups at 300 yards under 0.75 inch.

143 gr Hammer hunters
61.5 gr H4831SC
GM210
0.020" off the lands
3100 fps

Last edited:
Be careful at distance and pay attention to velocities. Mono bullets expand at high velocity. Saw my dad shoot a mule deer at 350 last year with 140 gr Barnes ttsx, 280 AI. Hit both lungs, a little low, took a while to die, he fell where all we could see were his antlers. Upon butchering the bullet had hardly expanded at all. I shoot ttsx out of my 338, but at about 3200 fps, never had a problem. So consider impact velocity(ie what range you anticipate shooting) not just muzzle velocity.
my guess is that I'll be shooting at 200-400 yards. 2796 fps at 200 and 2426 at 400.

1628618990982.png

This is the picture from the Nosler website for expansion at 1800 fps. It's about what my dad's Barnes looked like. Won't get the job done reliably.

I have a 280 ai and my gun will shoot the eTips ok, but nothing like the 143 gr Hammer Hunters. My groups at 300 yards with the eTips are in the 3-5 inch range. I can get the hammers to shoot under an inch at 300 yards. Went to the range yesterday and have two groups at 300 yards under 0.75 inch.

143 gr Hammer hunters
61.5 gr H4831SC
GM210
0.020" off the lands
3100 fps
I agree, I’m pushing the same bullet with R26 at 3300 fps with a 26” tube… great bullets..,

.280 ackley must be on the low list for ammo sales by every manufacturer for box ammo because i haven't been able to find any manufacturers with ammo other than Nosler 140 grain since January. I'm going for Accubond 140's this year then will reevaluate next year. I guess it was a bad year for me to buy a new rifle.

.280 ackley must be on the low list for ammo sales by every manufacturer for box ammo because i haven't been able to find any manufacturers with ammo other than Nosler 140 grain since January. I'm going for Accubond 140's this year then will reevaluate next year. I guess it was a bad year for me to buy a new rifle.
I don't remember what they had for manufacture or grain I do remember it was all from the same manufacture and same grain but sportsman warehouse in Cedar City had a fare amount.

I actually saw some accubonds early on in this pandemic and were priced way too high. and then they were gone and haven't come back. Accubond and/or partitions are my go-to bullets. I'll switch once the shortage is over.

I thought the same thing about buying this rifle; bad timing for sure. but the round is such an underrated caliber. one of the best all-around calibers out there.

Nice caliber, I want one. (y) Almost a roy without the proprietary brain damage.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom