280 AI

AZGuy

Question for all all 280 AI owners;
Is there a factory gun and load that works well for you? Curious if anyone is having success with mass produced stuff.

Same exact gun and bullet that works like a champ for my bro except he rolls his own with RL-23.
Zeke

I usually shoot custom loads and can share that load if you are interested, but the Federal Premium 168 Bergers factory ammo shoot great out of my gun. I have quite a few boxes but have not seen them on the shelf for a while.

I usually shoot custom loads and can share that load if you are interested, but the Federal Premium 168 Bergers factory ammo shoot great out of my gun. I have quite a few boxes but have not seen them on the shelf for a while.
Thanks Boomer

I hand load my 280 AI. I sometimes end up with factory cartridges from time to time and I don’t usually know how or why I got them. I never had any 280 AI factory rounds but I have in other and the best ever is Weatherby, but they don’t make the 280. The other best factory I’ve shot was Hornady. In a few cases like my 223 and fire forming a K Hornet, they were as accurate as some of my hand loads. I would give them a shot.

I hand load my 280 AI. I sometimes end up with factory cartridges from time to time and I don’t usually know how or why I got them. I never had any 280 AI factory rounds but I have in other and the best ever is Weatherby, but they don’t make the 280. The other best factory I’ve shot was Hornady. In a few cases like my 223 and fire forming a K Hornet, they were as accurate as some of my hand loads. I would give them a shot.

I have shot these in 300WM and 6.5 and have had success. Thanks!

Kimber Hunter. very accurate and light. I've tried accubond (hand loads), game changers (hand loads), noslter etips (factory), shoots sub moa with all three.

Not that I gave it a lot of effort, but did buy two different boxes of commercial when I first got my Fierce 280AI as I didn't have dies yet. Both were terrible (1.5" groups), which scared the crap out of me. I kind of assumed it was due to the conservative COAL they use in manufactured ammo. My subsequent handloads all shoot 0.4-0.7, which was a great relief!

Not that I gave it a lot of effort, but did buy two different boxes of commercial when I first got my Fierce 280AI as I didn't have dies yet. Both were terrible (1.5" groups), which scared the crap out of me. I kind of assumed it was due to the conservative COAL they use in manufactured ammo. My subsequent handloads all shoot 0.4-0.7, which was a great relief!
This is very helpful as that was one of the makes I was considering.

I had a straight 280 built. Not a AI..I love that lil gun..not hard on the shoulder..light..and deadly accurate! I see no difference in dead deer to 400 yards. Not loading it hot either...using H4831sc.

I had a straight 280 built. Not a AI..I love that lil gun..not hard on the shoulder..light..and deadly accurate! I see no difference in dead deer to 400 yards. Not loading it hot either...using H4831sc.
Absolutely nothing wrong with 280 Rem. I got the AI because it was offered and gets another 150 fps, but it's not wildly different. And I truly believe H4831sc is the most consistent and forgiving powder out there (at least in non-magnum 27/28 caliber guns).

Can't speak to a factory 280 ai rifle as mine is a custom build. The only factory ammo I found to be accurate was the Nosler Accubond Longrange. The Nosler e-Tip factory loaded ammo was horrible. My Hammer bullet handloads are getting sub-3/4 inches at 300 yards shooting 61.5 gr H4831SC at 3100 fps.

Absolutely nothing wrong with 280 Rem. I got the AI because it was offered and gets another 150 fps, but it's not wildly different. And I truly believe H4831sc is the most consistent and forgiving powder out there (at least in non-magnum 27/28 caliber guns).
Agree on the H4831...It's not usually the fastest but sure is forgiving. I use it for all our 284s. 280, 7mag and STW shooting 140s. If you can't get it to group most likely a primer change will get you right.

I've got a semi-custom 280AI right now and it shoots Nosler 140 AB factory loads better than anything I can handload so far. Even when I try to duplicate the load they do not shoot quite as well as the factory stuff. Really frustrating but the truth.----SS

I've got a Kimber Montana in a 280Ai and it shoots really well just regular federal premium 150gr Nosler Partitions 280 rem ammo. Haven't really shot it all that much due to having other go to hunting rifles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom