2B Advice

Utahkid39

I hate to beat a dead horse but I figured id better cover as many bases as I could. I drew my first new Mexico deer tag this year for 2B its the late rifle from nov 6-10, I drove 8 hours one way this weekend and put 1000 miles on the truck trying to learn the area so I don't go in completely blind, I didn't see a ton of deer which i didn't expect to from the things I've read. I mainly covered ground north of highway 64 and didn't spend any time south of 64 really. Just wanted to ask some advice from people who know the area or have hunted it before if there was anywhere I should focus on or spend some extra attention on, places to stay away from. I know its a "migration" hunt so maybe there is some certain canyons I should watch or keep an eye on that they migrate through. I spent time on both the west and east side of Navajo reservoir and don't know which side is better. I've never hunted mesa country like this so its totally new to me! Would it be worth it for me to hunt south of 64? just looking for advice from someone with more knowledge of the area than i do, gonna hunt my guts out regardless!

I had luck seeing them on both sides of Navajo Reservoir. One good thing about the areas near the lake are the roads. My God there’s roads like you’ve never seen. Lots of Gas wells out there so you could cover tons of space and if you get one down, you should be able to get close with your vehicle.

Keep in mind, the west side of Navajo is 2A going up the Pine arm. The "west" side going up the San Juan arm is 2B. That is Burnt Mesa and is kind of out of the way from where you want to hunt. Unless you access it from a boat, I wouldn't spend much time trying to learn it or hunt it.

If you PM me, I can help fill you in on a few spots to help narrow things down a little. I will not post it publicly - too many leeches that lurk and never contribute back.

I had luck seeing them on both sides of Navajo Reservoir. One good thing about the areas near the lake are the roads. My God there’s roads like you’ve never seen. Lots of Gas wells out there so you could cover tons of space and if you get one down, you should be able to get close with your vehicle.
There is roads everywhere from what i saw!

Pray for weather my friend, bad weather would probably ensure the migration is underway during your hunt. There has been quite a few years where the deer hung up on the Colorado side. If the weather hits, go shopping in the Rosa. If it doesn’t, focus on other parts of the unit and avoid the carnival. Best of luck, remember it’s illegal for nonresidents to pick up shed antlers…

There is roads everywhere from what i saw!

My Grandfather was there when most of those roads were new. He worked for El Paso for about 40 years as a welder and lived in Farmington since 1951. It was around that time when most people in Farmington were from Oklahoma or Texas and moved there for oil and gas work. I spent a lot of time around there as a kid. Choke Cherry canyon in 2A was real nice back in the day, not so much anymore.

Get ahold of NMG&F and the game warden and the people that work at the Carson. Go hunt the area where all the gas wells are. Keep an eye out for Mountain Loins though when I hunted it we seen a ton of tracks

My Grandfather was there when most of those roads were new. He worked for El Paso for about 40 years as a welder and lived in Farmington since 1951. It was around that time when most people in Farmington were from Oklahoma or Texas and moved there for oil and gas work. I spent a lot of time around there as a kid. Choke Cherry canyon in 2A was real nice back in the day, not so much anymore.
Curious who your grandfather is. My dad was a welder for ElPaso. My uncle and my grandfather were welders for El Paso all in the Farmington area. Text if you like 5053208288 my name is Marty

Curious who your grandfather is. My dad was a welder for ElPaso. My uncle and my grandfather were welders for El Paso all in the Farmington area. Text if you like 5053208288 my name is Marty
His name was Mike Horn. He started with El Paso in 1950 in Casa Grande, AZ and moved to Farmington in 1951 and retired the 80s but went back as an inspector for a while. I’m sure they know who he is. Please let me know.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom