2B archery success, sort of.

fmarrs3

Hey all, I drew the 2B January archery tag this year. I was very excited, this being my first deer archery hunt (have hunted lots w/ rifle and some archery elk, ~5y).

Overall I was disappointed. I saw a couple good bucks, but they weren't really in huntable locations. I saw hundreds of does, and a hand full of small forkies and/or spikers. Maybe one mid-age class deer. The whole experience seemed to suggerst that the highly successful youth rifle rut hunt in late November is taxing the herd, and NMDGF has slashed these tags. I managed to get things all lined up and stick a small forky on the next to last day of the season.

I think I'll be looking elsewhere for my first choice in the future. Any suggestions?

buck.jpg

Pretty much the same experience for me when I drew the same tag in 2006 though I didn’t fill my tag. Congrats on your buck! It’s hard to get close to bucks with those big groups…

Horniac

2B has been suffering for many years. The over abundance in late youth tags didn't help, but thise big bucks were always reclusive in Jan anyway.

I hunted 2B once and I will never put in again. I ate tag soup and only saw 2 legal bucks....and that was from my camp.

Congrats. The fact you were able to harvest a buck on your first archery hunt is not to bad. Many units that is a tough thing to do. Good job.

2B is a challenging unit and requires a lot of experience to be consistent because a large majority (not all) of the deer there are migratory from CO. A good buck or two gets killed there every year but it is typically in conjunction with experienced local outfitters.

Good job sticking with it and coming home with a buck.

Congrats on a nice archery mule deer Don’t ever be disappointed harvesting a nice Mule Deer with a bow! Hell it’s easy killimg one with a rifle with a bow that’s tough! CONGRATS!

Here‘s my 2B muzzy mule deer.

192D2CEC-88CB-41F5-BB9E-37FD2C846B4B.jpeg

863AD309-D03C-4D69-B662-7EF46314ACC1.jpeg

F6B6AF96-5013-41B7-9904-4E1D8F4E4209.jpeg

074CCC8A-56AF-4A63-92FC-86A87809CD6E.jpeg

Last edited:

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom