2B non resident help

JVJ

What are my chances of drawing a tag for this area? And is it a good area? Muzzle loader or rifle is what i would like to do.I have never hunted New Mexico, any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have info on any other area close to the 4 corners area i would like to know.......

Tough to draw and the later the better from what I hear. Many of the deer are migratory deer from Colorado. Still a chance for a big deer though.

guided odds or OK, but its a great hunt i live in 2A and guide a-b-c. Rifle is better if you are going non guided, muzz hunts are lots of scouting and prep! I work in the oil field here and scout all year really helps! Its a WONDERFUL hunt if you draw, great glassing and HOLD OUT FOR 170+

I have lived and hunted in the 2a, 2b, and 2c area my entire life. The odds' of drawing a rifle hunt in any of these units is pretty tough as they are heavily sought after. There is an abundance of deer in all three areas, but 2b would probably have the highest concentration. The resident deer herd there is very healthy and as Colorado gets snow fall, the deer herd migrates into the area. As was mentioned, you do have a great opportunity to harvest a trophy animal. It does require patience though, because if you have done your homework at all, you will see lots of smaller bucks. 2C is the trophy area in which many of the 200+ bucks are taken. There are only 50 rifle tags offered there(if things haven't changed) so drawing the unit will be tough. If you are lucky enough, hold out until you find a buck that suits you. I have never drawn that tag, but have guided there and worked oil rigs in area and I have seen some monster bucks. A 180+ buck here is very realistic if you wait, glass, and leave the roads.

One thing you should know about that area is that it is oilfield which means there is a road in the bottom of every canyon and on top of every hilltop and mesa. Expect to see traffic and other hunters, no matter where you go. Very few areas offer isolation or limited access. There will be heavy oilfield traffic at primetime during your hunt...just expect it. The key is being where you want to go before the rest of the 4 corners gets there as well. Well Locations are frequented by deer and elk so look around the edges of locations for fresh sign. Don't know how many times our hunts have started with fresh tracks across a location. Hope this Helps!

We (4 in our group) drew the last rifle tag last year. Our hunt was horrible, we even scouted in the summer to learn the land and roads. We arrived 2 days early to get a look and stayed the entire hunt. We hunted off roads, on roads and on every part of the whole unit. I saw 2 bucks that may have pushed 20". I saw 3 havested bucks bigger than 2 points but all 3 were tiny. There was no lack of people either, I'd have thought I was on a Utah general tag if I hadn't known better. I'm probably going to get blasted for this post, so shoot away! I know last year wasn't ideal weather for that unit but that shows that its a crapshoot, and if you have to invest as much time and money as we did you might as well hear another story or at least alter your expectations.

Last year sucked!!

I know last year was unusual, but for all I know 2b will suck from now on. I recommend that y'all choose a different unit, and increase my odds of drawing 2b again... ;-)

We had the last rifle hunt in 2007 and were very disappointed also. Weather sucked, and the hunt sucked.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom