2B question

ridgerunner

Very Active Member
If a guy were to draw this for muleys who would the short list of guides be? Or would a guide not be necessary? With the draw days away I am dreaming that this year the tag will be mine, lol.

I love 2B ! It's my 1st & 2nd choice every year.
To answer your question , I'd have to know more your situation.If your very limited on time, physically fit , able to learn new areas alone and be comfortable and confident to hunt a new unit alone etc and then the $$$.Now if your in decent shape, can learn and adapt and have time , a couple days before and the time for the entire hunt ,I'd say hunt it by your self. It's a easier area to learn and really depends if the weather pushes the bigger bucks from southern CO into this mammoth buck hot spot. The certain bonus of having a quality guide is they know the areas big bucks return to and can usaully find them.I don't know them personally, but have heard Rory Truby and his guides are very much top notch men who will bust their butts for their clients. If I had the extra $$ I'd give him a call as he puts lots of guys on good bucks.

There are several good guides in the area.

Employeed by several differnt outfitters.

I work for www.sjroutfitters.com which is a registered outfitter on this site.

We have 3 guides that will put you on some good deer. 05 we took down some good bucks. 203", 195", 175" browtine, moosie and idahobugler stopped by our camp. '06 was ok the 3 guys we had in camp passed on 170" bucks everyday. I think one used his tag on the last day on one of those bucks.

Bryan Adair is another outfitter / guide that is very good.

Truby is also another good one.

I cannot stress enough about glass.

Anyone one of these will give you an opportunity at a big buck - I would contact each one and then decide.

Thanks for the responses so far, I'm in good shape but have never hunted country like what I see in the photos of down there, primarily the high country is what I'm used to. If those guys are passing on 170 bucks daily, it sounds like they are doing something right, I would probably have a 170 class buck as a goal. I'll wait to see if I draw and then perhaps start making calls, I wouldn't want this tag to go to waste. I hope they post the results soon.

I've been born and raised in the unit 2 areas. My family and I have taken many nice bucks (2nd place 2002 big buck contest), Three that make B&C and a forth that just needs OM. I tell you this because I know many of the hunters listed in this post and if you are looking for a chance at a TRUELY trophy buck, in unit 2, there is only one person/guide to talk to.....BRYAN ADAIR.

I mean no disrespect to the others as they are probably great with their hunters and do take trophy class animals too. But in my opionion they all are a distant second to the knowledge and ability of Bryan.

Terry

I secnd TRC on this one. All of the others are probably good...

Bryan is known as the "Deer Magnet" The guy is just unreal at finding huge bucks!

I hunt 2B as ofetn as I can for deer and elk, Bryan always has Booners hanging on his game poll, as long as the clients can shoot! Bryan does his part and then some!

Muley

I put in for a unit 2 cow hunt , I'm going to hunt the unit either for deer or elk , but I'mma going!( I hope)

Man I hope I get something too!

Deer 2C rifle
2C Bow Jan
2B bow Jan

Elk 2 Muzz

Oh yea wife all 3 choices for 2B and son Youth 2B

Out of all that we should get one I hope!!!!

Muley

Sounds like me - 2b straight down the list as well. Never been to 2b, but from what I hear, it's the honey hole of NM. Odds are slim, but worth the wait from what I hear.

I waited 10 years for a Rifle tag...

This is my 2B Buck from 05' 191 5/8

467187537c60bc68.jpg

That's what I'm looking for......I remember seeing that buck in Eastmans and the new D. Long book. He is a dandy for sure.

I'm sure proud of him. Show him off every time I can!

It's not like there's a huge buck under every bush, but if you hunt smart and stay with it...it's one of those hunts that anything can happen. You could shoot a buck the first five minutes or go home empty handed. Like my situation I had to size the deer up and knock him down in about 10 seconds...no lie! Be ready at all times. For me it was all about finding a big framed mature deer. My wife is looking for a better than average buck say 160 or so and my son...well forkies beware...he's got it bad. All things relative, this hunt can produce big time or drive you nuts. If you see a buck that would make you happy...SHOOT IT!

Let me know if you get the tag, I'll be as much help as I can!

Marc

Yep... Satans Hole. But don't go looking for it on a map. We named the place ourselves. North side of 2B near the Lake.

M

Funny you say don't go looking on the map , we too have named some places there in 2. My brother services the pump jacks through out 2 and I've gotten used to areas by name and number because of him.
Muleyslayer , I agree with you unit 2 can be diamonds one day and dust the next.It's funny how guys think theres 30 inchers around every corner, and the road hunters that shoot big bucks think they know all there is to know about the unit.

As for your satins hole buck , I remember the story. I'm not kidding you , when I turned to the page, before ever reading 2 words of the article or heading , I sayed that looks like my country(unit 2) right there and sure enough.

NMHUNTNUT,

Unit 2 is truly a magical place for me. It's my favorite place to be. I was not born in NM but Aztec will always be Home to me.

I have killed a few bucks in 2 from the road with my bow. But getting out in those big canyons and glassing has proved to be the sure fire way to find the biggest bucks regularly. However, you can gun down some mighty big bucks from those well roads too, just got to know which one to drive down and at what time of day. Now with the third hunt well into November, anything can happen. I put in for 2C this year as it is almost smack dab into the Rut, beginning Nov 17th. Find the does on that hunt and the biggest bucks won't be far away!

Good luck with the draw and can't wait to see what you get!!!

Marc

If I draw sometime in future...I'll rely my boat to get better access and hunt from there to the mesa..=)

everytime I fish @ Navajo..we always see big bucks down drinkin water from the lake...saw few elk also..turkey and one time a bear...

good luck guys/gals

vinihunt

Vini, thanks for that help for the pop up. I'm going to pick it up next week.

really? awesome..glad to help ya!! u now can sleep better and comfort!!!!when hunting!!! now help me with 2b if i ever draw

congrats with new toy!!!

vinihunt

Just found out my brother drew 2C rifle. I'm looking forward to be another set of eyes for his hunt. Good luck fellas.
-Raptor

I still can't get on!!!!

Congrtas to your bro on 2C. I had it as two of my choices, can't wait to see if I get it to!

M

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom