2B tag drawn in New Mexico

H8Brick

Was excited to have drawn this tag , but now i am kind of bummed with all the negativity being said about the unit, like how its no good anymore

People literally will talk crap about anything these days.
They talk crap about my elk unit, but I always have a ball and kill.

My comment is directed at not having drawn the tag for 20 years and someone is bummed about it.

It's been somewhere in my choices every year that I can remember.

My comment is directed at not having drawn the tag for 20 years and someone is bummed about it.

It's been somewhere in my choices every year that I can remember.
That wasn’t directed at you and I don’t think you were coming off negative. I drew a late archery tag in a unit near him and while doing all my research I see tons of people talking about how 2B has turned to trash and how the youth hunts have messed it up.
While the numbers may have declined for the area, I’m willing to bet it’s still a good hunt and good animals can be found.
Similar to you I saw the tone in the post and just wanted to rework it!

Let’s not be bummed about the hunt, let’s me bumped. I bet OP has a good time.

@ H8Brick,
Ten twenty years ago there was a bunch of media hype about muley hunting in 2B. Migration and rut stuff. I'm not sure the hype was correct even then, but the notion has lasted and in the following years expectations routinely have been set too high. If you're expecting "outa this world spectacular", then "the best" can still be disappointing. Luckily, disappointment is an emotion that can be changed.

I'd be happy to trade my not-drawn Valle Vidal elk tag for your 2B deer tag. PM me...

There have been a lot of changes that have occurred over the years.

Drought, forest fires, increased predation, loss of winter range. These four variables have had more impact on 2B than the youth hunt being moved to late Nov has.

I helped a friend last Jan for a day who had the bowhunt. There wasn't a big migration and the deer being chased were resident deer.

I wish I had a 2B tag this year...

Was excited to have drawn this tag , but now i am kind of bummed with all the negativity being said about the unit, like how its no good anymore
I wouldn’t worry about it at all. I’ll bet there’s almost no hunt unit around that someone doesn’t complain about how “it’s not what it used to be”. It’s just part of the deal.
Keep in mind as well that not all sportsmen are created equally. Some hunt harder and smarter than others. And of course that bit of luck.
I don’t know much about that area, I’m just talking in general about negative comments that are thrown around. Don’t let them bring you down.
Good luck!!!

Thanks i was all excited , and after reading all the comments i am like oh no, but even friends on FB are downing it lol I mean a guy draws a hard to get tag and then this , takes the wind out of your sail quick

Thanks i was all excited , and after reading all the comments i am like oh no, but even friends on FB are downing it lol I mean a guy draws a hard to get tag and then this , takes the wind out of your sail quick
You saw my comments on the Mule Deer page so I won't repeat here. OldMx saw giants, there are giant resident Bucks in the unit. But when the traffic starts you will never see one from a road. Talk to the gas workers they are in there every day. There are literally roads everywhere. So it's difficult to find a roadless area, so find 'NASTY' away from a road. GL

??? gotta lighten the mood

5E81720E-E1D1-434E-9264-3641D0AECB23.gif

Bugle you ever had a 2b tag ? I had Four, 92, 94, 96, and 98. Only got skunked 1 year, and it was 96 very hot and dry, 80s in the day, with a cloud of dust from the trucks everywhere.
The big bucks I could have taken in high school and first two years of college if I had the setup and knowledge I do now, in 2b.

Back then, it was just unit 2.

what year did you go? Giant meaning ? I consider a giant 185 and bigger

Son drew 2017 and 18 season. I went up and scouted 5 days before each hunt plus summer scouting trips. Was a dam tough hunt but, they are there if you give it your all. We got very lucky with good rains before each hunt. Was able to locate the few big bucks we seen by glassing tracks to there beds. Without that we wouldn't of seen anything of size. I had no experience at all hunting that type of country so it really saved the hunt for us. You just have to figure out what works for you. Good luck

If you are looking at going guided talk to Anthony Hampton. Knows the unit like the back of his hand and does a lot of scouting.

I've hunted there twice and shot small bucks, but a friend killed a 150ish 4x4. First rifle hunts.

One year the migration had started and I bet we saw hundreds of does and forks every day. They were walking through camp, and it was fun to watch.

I would take that tag without hesitation.

Bugle you ever had a 2b tag ? I had Four, 92, 94, 96, and 98. Only got skunked 1 year, and it was 96 very hot and dry, 80s in the day, with a cloud of dust from the trucks everywhere.
Yessir ! 15 years ago was around the last time! Things were great back in high school though like RR SAID! Used to be quite a few decent deer hanging around! I pulled the muley tag I’ve been waiting for for a long time this year! Good luck to all who drew!
Oh and I’m going to quit after my hunt so lots of high end gear going to be up grabs ?

Yessir ! 15 years ago was around the last time! Things were great back in high school though like RR SAID! Used to be quite a few decent deer hanging around! I pulled the muley tag I’ve been waiting for for a long time this year! Good luck to all who drew!
Oh and I’m going to quit after my hunt so lots of high end gear going to be up grabs ?
Good luck! I hope you are able to lay down a hammer.

I hope I can find a good forkie on mine :)

We’re going to have some words my man if that’s what you send a picture of!
I promise that won’t have to happen. ???

I’ve got a size in mind, but we will see what’s running around out there when I have boots on the ground.
I may fly out and hang cams, but I also imagine they don’t last long there.... I just have this weird feeling people are always scouting out there and stuff would disappear.

I wouldnt get caught up in the negativity. I drew an elk tag back in 2016 and I had guys question why I put in for the unit etc. I came out on that hunt with a 391” bull. My point is don’t get caught up in all the BS. Hunt hard. Good luck!

I wouldnt get caught up in the negativity. I drew an elk tag back in 2016 and I had guys question why I put in for the unit etc. I came out on that hunt with a 391” bull. My point is don’t get caught up in all the BS. Hunt hard. Good luck!
omg good for you , 391 is awesome!!

I've worked in that unit for over 10 years. Hunting just shows a glimpse of it. You see things over the course of a year when people aren't hunting it and the changes it goes through while everyone is hunting it.
I can only imagine! I'd love to spend a couple of years full time there. You're lucky.
Aside from small fluctuations throughout the years I've experienced two big downward trends in the past 15 years during the hunting seasons.

Been awhile since we’ve had a big winter. Used to see some really good snows back in the day. Lived here since the late 60’s.

I wouldn’t worry about it at all. I’ll bet there’s almost no hunt unit around that someone doesn’t complain about how “it’s not what it used to be”. It’s just part of the deal.
Keep in mind as well that not all sportsmen are created equally. Some hunt harder and smarter than others. And of course that bit of luck.
I don’t know much about that area, I’m just talking in general about negative comments that are thrown around. Don’t let them bring you down.
Good luck!!!

The advice from Founder is exactly what you needed to hear. It is unfortunate that mule deer hunting across the West isn't as good as it was 30 years ago and only a shadow the the quality that it was 60 years ago.

Since you have an outfitter, give them a call. They should be able give you better information than anyone on MM. Don't expect it to be a hunt that you look over and pass on multiple mature bucks. There are too many tags given out for the unit to allow many bucks to get old.

I've spent some time in 2B and the age class of bucks is absolutely pathetic. Anyone that says differently either hasn't spent time recently in the unit or thinks that it is ok that a very large portion of the bucks are only 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 years old. There is no other place that has better genetics than Rio Arriba County. It is unfortunate that it isn't manage just a little better so a few more bucks can get a little older.

It is unfortunate that it isn't manage just a little better so a few more bucks can get a little older.
Absolutely. But hey, we have opportunity hunts so... Some deer units in the state are soo good they get over 2000 tags in them. Just the management we need to stay on pace and obliterate the mule deer population.

But on a serious note at least you have a tag! I didn't draw a deer tag I drew as my 3rd last year and it was my first this year!

Absolutely. But hey, we have opportunity hunts so... Some deer units in the state are soo good they get over 2000 tags in them. Just the management we need to stay on pace and obliterate the mule deer population.

But on a serious note at least you have a tag! I didn't draw a deer tag I drew as my 3rd last year and it was my first this year!
I didn't draw in NM this year either. I was able to get at least my 3rd choice for 6 years straight but tags are getting more difficult to come by. I would gladly take a 2b tag this year but I won't use 2b rifle as a 1st or 2nd choice application anymore.

Except some of us were hunting 2B when the outfitter was still in grade school...
That is true that there are many on here that know the unit very well. I also think there are a number of guys on this site that are more of a threat to old wise bucks than some outfitters are. However the outfitter is going to give him the best idea on what to expect on his hunt.

That is true that there are many on here that know the unit very well. I also think there are a number of guys on this site that are more of a threat to old wise bucks than some outfitters are. However the outfitter is going to give him the best idea on what to expect on his hunt.
Probably, especially from a standpoint of taking somebody out with no knowledge of the area.

I know the outfitter and the family as well...

There's no right or wrong here, just good business sense.

But the truth is if you're paying for a fully guided hunt, the outfitter will most likely put you in the areas where he's scouted and found the biggest deer.

Now if you're paying for the SB196 semi-guided hunt, you're probably going to be hunting a different area.
Unless say.. all his fully guided hunts have already taken place and were not successful.

While we are talking about the 2s area. Any little cafes or restaurants that you’d recommend up there? I like to eat.
The Patio Cafe in Ignacio was fantastic but last time I was there it's shut down and now a bbq pit restuarant. Food was ok but I miss the patio cafe.
If you like Chinese, the Jade Garden in Bloomfield has a great buffet that will leave you satisfied. My buddy who used to live there raves about the Wonderful House Chinese restuarant in Aztec.

Last edited:
Hey Man, I'm right there with you. I drew 2A - was incredibly excited about it, my first hunt in NME - and I haven't had more negative thrown at me about a hunt in a long time compared to this. I'm taking the attitude to make the most out of it.

Hey Man, I'm right there with you. I drew 2A - was incredibly excited about it, my first hunt in NME - and I haven't had more negative thrown at me about a hunt in a long time compared to this. I'm taking the attitude to make the most out of it.
My guide said dont listen to those comments , he said there is a reason why i kill the biggest bucks year end year out, and i have never ever heard one negative thing from his neighbors and other people who he has guided i am real confident , he also said its not a migratory hunt , if by some weird reason it does happen he has people that works on that colorado line that tells him if bucks are crossing

The Patio Cafe in Ignacio was fantastic but last time I was there it's shut down and now a bbq pit restuarant. Food was ok but I miss the patio cafe.
If you like Chinese, the Jade Garden in Bloomfield has a great buffet that will leave you satisfied. My buddy who used to live there raves about the Wonderful House Chinese restuarant in Aztec.
I'll be hunting closer to Bloomfield, so that Chinese food sounds great after some cold January days!!!!

Thank you!

Someone else had mentioned that to me, but when I looked it up online it said permanently closed!

I hope that’s not the case. I’m ready to eat!
It is in Farmington, think the only one open now is in Bloomfield. It may be closed now as well. Don't go south that way too often anymore.

If you're interested in Mexican, go to Rubios in Aztec.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom