2nd Choice Question

TerynItUp

I found a early season Archery deer hunt that I think I can draw as my 2nd choice so long as I don't draw my first choice. Problem is that I might draw an elk tag here in NM at the same time. If I draw the 2nd choice tag and want to return it, can I get a refund without surrendering my points? If I don't lose my points, will I still get a PP since I didn't draw the 1st choice and returned a 2nd choice tag?

Hope that makes sense.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Yes. In CO if you don't draw 1st choice or if you put in for point as 1st choice, you get a point. 2nd choice neither uses nor generates a point. Good luck. You can get a refund on that license (minus $25 fee) any time until 30 days before start of season your tag is for. Refund on 2nd choice tag will not affect points. As I understand the new regs...

The only way to gain a point if you turn the tag back in is to forfeit your money. You cant keep your point and get a refund. It's one or the other.

Forfeit the full non-resident license cost or just the cost of the point?

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Born:

Unless they changed it, that is not correct. It is true for a first choice tag. If you turn a first choice tag back in, you either let them keep the money and you keep your points (without gaining one for this year) or you get your money back and lose all your points.

Howevever, he is talking about a 2nd choice. If he draws a second point he would not only get a point for this year, but he can get a refund for all but the $25, and get to keep all his points.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

However, in all cases you would have to request the refund at least 30 days prior to the opening of the season to get a refund

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If a tag is drawn with 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice you do NOT lose your points if tag is returned. Points do not apply to anything after 1st choice.

If you draw 1st choice and want to return then yes, you need to decide between points or $.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom