2nd Do you Shoot this one?

MulePacker

478e1bfd65c3ba4a.jpg

478e1c39667c9be5.jpg

Not without seeing his left side. I'd also need a different angle to get a bow shot off on him. No clear line to the vitals. If that's all I saw, I'd have to pass.

Cheers,
pete

No! I already shot the other one!;-)

I am a little concerned about this bull down low. Especially the G1. I am probably going to look a little more.

Without seeing his fronts, I'd have to say no. If they are respectable fronts, ie 18" or so and not broke, then yes!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-08 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]no, poor fronts from the angle i can see. nice tops though, my guess would be a 340 bull, but without seeing the fronts better i would hold off until i got a better look. In the bottom picture they look really thin, so they are probably really short as well. nice 5ths though!

Only depends on how far away it is.

It looks like it is 20 yards or so away. I have only hunted in Utah?s open bull units. So if it is only 20 yards away than hell yes I would shoot it.

I don't even care what the score is or how big his fronts are. Dead bull!

On a LE unit I would pass!

Archery is a year round commitment!!

i would be one stoked hunter if i shot a bull like that first chance i have im shooting

All deprnds on the hunt.
Great LE Unit in Utah, prolly not.
Arizona unit 9, 10 or WMIR, no.
OTC tag in Colorado or Idaho? HELL YES, He's toast!
HH

Harry and c3 are right on. Anyone who shoots in an area known for trophy elk or point restrictions is asking for trouble. The assumption would be 5 or 6 points on his left side, but the way the "5-6 split" is made, I am concerned.

Tell us the story MP!

OK this shot was taken at 60- 70 yds. Could not get the bull closer for a friend with an archery tag. Nor was I prepared to get a better photo. He is in the same poor Utah LE unit, he is not broken anywhere and is very symmetrical. Give me a while and I will post the rest of the story with a trophy shot. I believe a few of you will be second guessing your choice, who will it be?

I'd pass.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Pro, you would pass? I have a pretty good suspicion that this bull is on one of the proposed I-400 units, and probably at or above the age objective for the unit. I can't believe Mr. Opportunity would pass. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea of giving more elk hunting opportunity, but I just though of all guys, you would be a shooter.

By the way, I would shoot.

Dax

The rest of the story. However first an editorial comment. Am I the only one finding it interesting that when given a chance to put it on the line we get very few responses? But when given the chance to critique someone elses choice everyone has input. Last but not least where is bobcat? I am missing his view on to shoot or not to shoot.

Anyway,
The day of the photo this bull had a pretty good following of small bulls and a herd of cows making him extremely difficult to bowhunt. That is our excuse anyway. We judged the bull to be 350+ and put him in the file for a rifle hunter we would be helping.
To the rifle hunter, he is a brother of my hunting partner. Although he had hunted a little I would not consider him an avid hunter. In fact my hunting partner had been keeping his brother/hunter in the draw process. After running him up and down hills the first day of the rifle hunt with little success, we decided to swing by this bulls haunt on the way out and see if he was home. When hitting the ridge we received an answer to our calls. Instead of setting up we continued to ride out. Within a couple hundred yards this bull screamed at us from about 80 yds. I am guessing he heard the pounding of mules hooves as he was coming in and felt a need to announce his presence. After an unorganized dismount we were on the ground and caught the bull watching us from a close 45 yards. A couple of shots later and the bull was down. Good enough for a first kill for the hunter. Question is was he good enough for you? Why did he come so fast and easy, his herd of cows and satellite bulls had disappeared from the canyon, he was alone. I guess he was looking to settle a score.
As a last note for all who dislike folks putting in other people and decreasing draw odds. Sometimes it is more than hoping to go hunting. The bull was not the trophy here but a gap in these brothers relationship that was bridged by a summer spent scouting and a successful hunt.

478fb1924a1dc660.jpg

Score a little over 380.

Mulepacker , nice ending for sure and I really can appreciate what that hunt stood for. As for the bull, brother , any elk that gets into bow range is going in the freezer, I should change my name to COWELK SLAYER lol, and I have no regrets. Someday I may get a chance at a branch antlered bull, only if he is the first in bow range ...Thanks for sharing it...

Daxter wrote: "Pro, you would pass? I have a pretty good suspicion that this bull is on one of the proposed I-400 units, and probably at or above the age objective for the unit. I can't believe Mr. Opportunity would pass. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea of giving more elk hunting opportunity, but I just though of all guys, you would be a shooter."

This bull is indeed on one of the I400 units. I guess I am missing your point. I have been VERY clear from the beginning that I myself am a "trophy" hunter and am willing to wait longer to draw a tag on a 'premiuim' unit. To suggest anything else would be to ignore my many posts on this matter. Read the tag line at the bottom of my posts, that should clear things up a bit for you.

Travis, nice bull and great topics. I was wondering where you allpied this year, shoot me a PM, that way I know if we will be going on scouting trips together this summer.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Pro, my bad. I'll be honest I haven't read many of your posts (short attention span on my part I guess). I just figured the guy promoting increased opportunity would take a 380 bull on one of the proposed I-400 units. Guess I figured wrong. I do like the fact that a self proclaimed "trophy" hunter is advocating more opportunity for UT elk hunters, keep it up.

To Travis, again thanks for posting these great pics and posing intersting questions during a pretty slow time of year.

Dax

the real point that i want to make is that even in the last picture there is not a good angle to judge his score because you still cannot tell how long the fronts are. I have had ground shrinkage too many times in the past, and if i ever draw UT elk i will do my best to get a good side view of the bull i will shoot at.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-08 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]That is a (edit) great bull Travis! Keep posting them up if you have any more! I know so far I would have shot both! They are both giants to me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom