2nd draw stats have been posted

brushcreek

deer

So, 1/4 of the adults who applied (elk) were successful, and nearly 2/3 of the youth applicants were successful. I don’t have near the attention span to go look for the deers.

My initial reaction is I’m ok with that. As we’ve seen, lots of the applications are from folks who were successful in the primary draw anyway.

Disclaimer: I wasn’t in this draw. Didn’t need to be.

Just one example:

63 Adults with no clue put in for the (2) Unit 61 3rd season cow tags with 0 chance of drawing. CPW made $567 in app fees off 1 hunt code with 2 cow tags that adults had 0 chance at. LOL.

I'm all for getting the youth out hunting and giving them an opportunity to be successful. With that said;
I looked at some of the deer 2nd draw stats for future reference.
Using deer male, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, seasons, excluding private land tags and hunt codes that had more than 30 tags available as my criteria: Only 10 hunt codes had non-youth draw tags, 453 tags were available, 28 were awarded to non-youth. Approx. 6% chance of drawing. Maybe the odds were better for the elk tags. I was tempted but glad I didn't apply

Between 2nd and 3rd season Unit 3 deer, with 28 tags “available”:

422 adult “marks”paid their app fees with no tags left for them by the time the adult draw occurred. I would expect this from a con-man but seems wrong for a government agency to sucker people in to a fully lost cause.

I guess it will help with the wolf impact research lol. Either way it is what it is. I imagine everyone will be scouting the leftover list every week come august.

Between 2nd and 3rd season Unit 3 deer, with 28 tags “available”:

422 adult “marks”paid their app fees with no tags left for them by the time the adult draw occurred. I would expect this from a con-man but seems wrong for a government agency to sucker people in to a fully lost cause.
I agree.

Was it a scam because you didn't read the regulations and how this draw has worked since its inception?

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Not that I complaining, just an observation. It the two units I put my kids in for. Residents all drew out before non resident. Was that listed in the regs or just coincidence

Looking at elk again, nearly 7000 adults drew tags. Less that 1500 went to the youth.

I understand the frustration, but this was hardly a youth set-aside drawing.

Was it a scam because you didn't read the regulations and how this draw has worked since its inception?

Nah, I'm one of the geeks that reads past the brochure, I was aware. But many weren't. Put 3 apps in, 1 had over 100 tags available. I pick that tag up on leftover sale day normally. Due to the 2 changes they've made in recent years I had a 50/50 chance this year in the second draw. I'll most likely pick those 3 up, and maybe a 4th, on a Wednesday in August September or October. It was $21, I drank and pissed that out last night. Doesn't change the fact you had to read past the brochure, (when we've proven most don't take time to even read the back cover) in order to know this was going to be a youth draw.

I’m glad the youth got the returned tags. Gives them an opportunity at some good hunting and not having to wait a decade at some of those hunts.
Guess it could be worse, maybe CPW will take a percentage of the quota and dedicate those tags to the youth in the primary draw.

I put in my step-son and my brother put his daughter in for a deer tag that during the normal draw takes 1 point and they both drew the deer tag during the secondary so I was pretty pumped for the kids as they didn't have to use any points and will get to hunt deer this fall. I myself didn't apply for anything but if the kids can get out without waiting forever I'm pretty stoked.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom