2nd Season Not Looking Good for Snow and Cold

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Been watching the weather, hoping to see some snow or rain in the forecast for that 2nd season, but nothing yet.
It’s going to be a real test this year, but I’m excited to get after it.
Does it ever rain anymore?!?!?

Come on founder...I mean it rained some Sunday. And we left Eagle this morning and it was 28 degrees. What more can you expect? That's 100% of the days I've spent in CO being cold and wet ha ha.

Good luck to you. I'm anxiously waiting 3rd season.

Last edited:
Ya. I've been really watching and hoping for a cool down and some moisture. Utah muzzy elk hunt in 2 1/2 weeks and as it stands it will cool down some, but not much moisture. Hunt will be tough if dry and warm.

Really going to be bad as it stands. No camp fires or even wood burning stoves in wall tents. Could be some chilly nights. Hope that fire restriction lifts.

Tough hunting isn't so bad if the camping is enjoyable. Tough hunting, no camp fire to enjoy and cold nights could make for a long 10 days. :confused:

I’m hoping third season gets some good weather, with some snow would enjoy chasing some big mule deer in the snow!

little bit of snow on the fires sunday but still dry out here. good luck to all on getting some weather . i have 3rd season cow and doe tag and 4th season either sex elk so hope to get an animal or two down!

I returned my 2nd season deer tag a couple weeks ago. It wasn't a premium tag by any means since I drew with 0 points. I just figured I had a better chance of getting a big buck with my bow here at home and it would be better use of my vacation time. Its looking like It might have been a good decision.

We got a little bit of rain around here Saturday. Nothing much but every bit helps. Been pretty cold these past few mornings. Had to throw another blanket on. Wife's feet are friggin cold!!!

Been watching the weather, hoping to see some snow or rain in the forecast for that 2nd season, but nothing yet.
It’s going to be a real test this year, but I’m excited to get after it.
Does it ever rain anymore?!?!?
Weather or no weather, I think the second season should be pretty good this year. It's definitely fall like conditions minus the moisture. The bucks are already getting puffed up and sparring pretty hard. I think the rut will be in full swing during second season this year.

I have a third season deer tag and have been watching the weather forecast in Eagle and possible restrictions due to Covid, fire danger, etc.

From what I am seeing it has been cold but no real weather in the forecast. Camp fire restrictions but no hunting restrictions due to Covid however the 30 day tag return window has been reduced to 15 days for Covid. Is this the gist of the current situation in CO?

Thanks,

Horniac

Weather or no weather, I think the second season should be pretty good this year. It's definitely fall like conditions minus the moisture. The bucks are already getting puffed up and sparring pretty hard. I think the rut will be in full swing during second season this year.
Gadjet, what do you predict for third season ? Since you live close to where I will be hunting third season this year the weather has to be pretty similar.

Gadjet, what do you predict for third season ? Since you live close to where I will be hunting third season this year the weather has to be pretty similar.
I predict that it's going to be great hunting during the third season. The rut should be going hard by then. Find the does and camp on them. But it's really nothing more than a guess. We've had a ridiculously dry year this year and I don't see much of a change in the forecast, other than cooler temps.
Are you hunting 33?

Headed up to 33 for 2nd season for the first time this year with my boy's. My oldest son went and helped a buddy pack out last year and loved the area. We've been scouting a few times already and are excited for our hunt. The weather forecast doesn't look promising for any snow or rain but just being out there is what makes it fun.

I predict that it's going to be great hunting during the third season. The rut should be going hard by then. Find the does and camp on them. But it's really nothing more than a guess. We've had a ridiculously dry year this year and I don't see much of a change in the forecast, other than cooler temps.
Are you hunting 33?
Yes I will be hunting 33

Headed up to 33 for 2nd season for the first time this year with my boy's. My oldest son went and helped a buddy pack out last year and loved the area. We've been scouting a few times already and are excited for our hunt. The weather forecast doesn't look promising for any snow or rain but just being out there is what makes it fun.
Hey 3CCC I am hunting 33 3rd season would you mind filling me in on what you see and how it went for you after your hunt ?

Sure thing, hopefully it will be positive! We've seen more elk up there than deer so far. Thinking about adding an OTC bull tag as well.

I hope you have a great hunt, good luck and looking forward to hearing from you and seeing pictures of your success

Ya. I've been really watching and hoping for a cool down and some moisture. Utah muzzy elk hunt in 2 1/2 weeks and as it stands it will cool down some, but not much moisture. Hunt will be tough if dry and warm.

Really going to be bad as it stands. No camp fires or even wood burning stoves in wall tents. Could be some chilly nights. Hope that fire restriction lifts.

Tough hunting isn't so bad if the camping is enjoyable. Tough hunting, no camp fire to enjoy and cold nights could make for a long 10 days. :confused:
I guess it depends on where you will be hunting. the White River National Forest has been under stage 1 fire restrictions since Oct 2, which allows wood burning stoves in wall tents with spark arrestors and a 5' chimney.

"Under Stage 1 fire restrictions, campfires and charcoal are only allowed in developed Forest Service campgrounds in the metal fire rings and grates provided.

Propane and other petroleum-fueled stoves and camping equipment are allowed throughout the Forest under Stage 1, as are sheep-herder and other wood-burning stoves often used in hunting tents provided they are fully enclosed metal stoves with a chimney at least five feet in length and have a spark arrestor with a screen opening of ¼ inch or less."

I guess it depends on where you will be hunting. the White River National Forest has been under stage 1 fire restrictions since Oct 2, which allows wood burning stoves in wall tents with spark arrestors and a 5' chimney.

"Under Stage 1 fire restrictions, campfires and charcoal are only allowed in developed Forest Service campgrounds in the metal fire rings and grates provided.

Propane and other petroleum-fueled stoves and camping equipment are allowed throughout the Forest under Stage 1, as are sheep-herder and other wood-burning stoves often used in hunting tents provided they are fully enclosed metal stoves with a chimney at least five feet in length and have a spark arrestor with a screen opening of ¼ inch or less."
I'm hoping. I know tomorrow the 15th is when the fire restrictions were extended to. Hoping they ease them tomorrow to allow the wall tent stoves. ?

Welcome​

Ashley Logo

Fire Restrictions Continue on the Ashley National Forest

Vernal, Utah… The Ashley National Forest went into fire restrictions beginning at midnight Tuesday August 11, 2020 and will continue restrictions into the foreseeable future as dry and warm weather continues.
No campfires or wood stoves in tents with a 5-foot chimney with a ¼ inch screen spark arrestor are allowed outside of developed campgrounds, or permitted developed sites such as resorts, but propane or gas stoves or propane fire rings are okay for use. Generally, if the item you want to use has an on and off switch or knob and completely extinguishes when the knob or button is turned or pushed it is OK for you to use. No charcoal use is allowed outside of developed campgrounds or permitted developed sites such as resorts.

Weather is looking terrible for 2nd season, hopefully Mother Nature lets loose before 3rd. Can’t believe how dry it has been. We are way over due for a serious storm.

My area has had consistent winds ranging from 35 - (gusts of ) 60mph.

Looks like lots of tree walking.

Looks like a little rain, snow and cold on Sunday into Monday next week.
“Weak zonal flow will dominate the weather pattern through most of the work week as storm systems track east across the northernRockies. A stronger system will brush northern portions of the forecast area Thursday into Friday with an uptick in afternoon gusts and critical fire weather concerns expected on
Thursday with a slight chance of valley rain and mountain snow showers possible across the northern half of the forecast area Thursday night into Friday.

Another shortwave is expected to move across the area
later in the weekend and this system continues to show a more
southerly track with possibly more widespread coverage of valleyrain and mountain snow across the region. Temperatures are expected to remain unseasonably warm this week, with high
temperatures running around 10 degrees above normal with a
cooldown expected on Friday through the weekend.”

Haha, believe it when I see it. Weather is changing everyday! Weather prediction is worse than Biden fumbling ass! One day it’s 7 inches the next day it’s a trace. Flip flopping sonsabitches!

Sure hope the weather starts to cooperate.
1st season elk hunting was tough going. Lots of hunters went home with tag soup. Hot, very dry and windy on the north side of the flattops. No fires allowed, we had to use propane for heat in the wall tents for the first time in 30+ years.

Hunting 3rd season in unit 66, still have a couple weeks for ma nature to help out.

My what a difference 2 weeks makes. Calling for below zero lows and up to a foot of snow in the northern mountains over the next few days. Good luck fellas!

I will be in 44 Sunday to hunt for the week looks like the weather we need is gonna happen so should be good. Good luck out there

The cooler temps on Friday really got the deer up on their feet. We saw deer everywhere while scouting and my wife filled her tag one minute before sun up today.

This morning was probably the coldest I’ve while hunting!! Probably. Maybe. But it was cold!!!
Most of the snow even at 11500 feet is gone.

Damn, why don't I have a second season tag--or third?? Oh yeah, hunting another state this year. But I am jealous to those of you lucky enough to catch this weather--good luck!

I'll be hunting units 31/32 NE of Grand Junction during the third season. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be warming up next week.

Hawkeye

Last edited:
Did you see much?
Yes, I saw plenty of deer and was in what I felt was a good spot. Resident deer and a few migrating after snow, but just nothing real big.
Saw this buck on opening day, and he was the best.
I can’t complain for a reissued tag. Big bucks are few and far between, especially when not going into the hunt knowing where one lives and hoping for luck.

Yes, I saw plenty of deer and was in what I felt was a good spot. Resident deer and a few migrating after snow, but just nothing real big.
I can’t complain for a reissued tag. Big bucks are few and far between, especially when not going into the hunt knowing where one lives and hoping for luck.

LOL, If I see that buck opening day of my hunt he wont be as lucky.

He is a good buck for sure, I would be hard pressed to pass on him in the unit I am hunting during third season. What class buck do you think he is ? 160 inch class buck ?

I think I figured mid160’s or so. He would’ve been a “meat” buck on Friday, but he wasn’t there when I passed by. I needed some deer meat, but we’ll just have to get the wife an elk.

I think I figured mid160’s or so. He would’ve been a “meat” buck on Friday, but he wasn’t there when I passed by. I needed some deer meat, but we’ll just have to get the wife an elk.
Why would you take a 160ish as a meat buck? Seems odd to consider that a meat buck.

Last edited:

Founder, you video said Colorado Buck. I thought this was Colorado Buck?

Colorado Buck.jpg

He was a big body buck!

You did the Mule Deer world some good by not shooting that deer! He looks like he has good genetics and potential and does not fit the classification of a meat buck. But only my opinion. You did good no need to shoot him, I hope he makes it through 3rd and or 4th!!!

Brian, how did the lucky dad with the lucky son’s hunt turn out? Was he in the same unit as you?

Brian, how did the lucky dad with the lucky son’s hunt turn out? Was he in the same unit as you?
Lucky dad wasn't so lucky on the hunt. He was in a different unit and never saw anything that really excited him.
There just aren't very many big bucks around!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom