2nd season success

GLEDEASY

My brother and I were both able to draw CO second season mule deer tags this year. With little kids at home we missed the opener so we could go trick or treating with them, but we were off the next morning for our 7ish hour drive. We planned on staying through the whole season and my cousin was traveling out to stay for a length of time as well. Neither of us felt the need to harvest anything, hoping that we might just come across something special.

We arrived just in time to go out for a quick look that evening and saw our first buck of the trip. The next morning we were off with lots of anticipation and excitement. The deer hunt quickly turned into a shed hunt as we seemed to be finding elk sheds everywhere. We found about 10 total that day (nothing big) and left the majority on the mountain. The next few days came and went quickly. We were learning new country and having opportunities at decent bucks along the way as we battled rain and fog.

The moment was building as mid week approached. The day just felt like something was going to happen. My brother quickly spotted a couple of nice bucks and we set off to execute the game plan. Moments later my cousin and I heard a gunshot that we knew was from my brother. As quickly as things escalated they deescalated even quicker as the buck made it unscathed. The weather warmed and the sightings of decent bucks lessened.

By the end of the week my cousin had left and I think my brother and I were feeling the results of hunting a full week. Friday morning we ventured to a new area. As we were hiking I realized I did not have my water. No way were we going to be able spend the day without it. I hurried back to the vehicle and then back up to my brother. The delay in forgetting my water ended up being a blessing in disguise. As we were about to go our way up the mountain I noticed a buck to our left (which we would have missed without the delay). A quick look determined he was a decent 4 point appearing to have some extra stuff going on. I decided to take the shot and the rest is history.

CO is quite a neat place, especially with deer hunting, and we hope to be back soon.

IMG_20211107_140628_453.jpg

IMG_20211107_140628_964.jpg

IMG_20211107_142752_200.jpg

IMG_20211107_142752_270.jpg

IMG_20211107_142752_394.jpg

IMG_20211107_142752_470.jpg

My brother and I were both able to draw CO second season mule deer tags this year. With little kids at home we missed the opener so we could go trick or treating with them, but we were off the next morning for our 7ish hour drive. We planned on staying through the whole season and my cousin was traveling out to stay for a length of time as well. Neither of us felt the need to harvest anything, hoping that we might just come across something special.

We arrived just in time to go out for a quick look that evening and saw our first buck of the trip. The next morning we were off with lots of anticipation and excitement. The deer hunt quickly turned into a shed hunt as we seemed to be finding elk sheds everywhere. We found about 10 total that day (nothing big) and left the majority on the mountain. The next few days came and went quickly. We were learning new country and having opportunities at decent bucks along the way as we battled rain and fog.

The moment was building as mid week approached. The day just felt like something was going to happen. My brother quickly spotted a couple of nice bucks and we set off to execute the game plan. Moments later my cousin and I heard a gunshot that we knew was from my brother. As quickly as things escalated they deescalated even quicker as the buck made it unscathed. The weather warmed and the sightings of decent bucks lessened.

By the end of the week my cousin had left and I think my brother and I were feeling the results of hunting a full week. Friday morning we ventured to a new area. As we were hiking I realized I did not have my water. No way were we going to be able spend the day without it. I hurried back to the vehicle and then back up to my brother. The delay in forgetting my water ended up being a blessing in disguise. As we were about to go our way up the mountain I noticed a buck to our left (which we would have missed without the delay). A quick look determined he was a decent 4 point appearing to have some extra stuff going on. I decided to take the shot and the rest is history.

CO is quite a neat place, especially with deer hunting, and we hope to be back soon.

View attachment 57908
View attachment 57909
View attachment 57915
View attachment 57916
View attachment 57913
View attachment 57914
Well done, sweet buck!

Nice buck! Good story. Any rutting action? Seems lots of us will be there 3rd season! Haha
Not really any rutting going on. Private land had bucks sparring a little and does around, but bucks on public were all solitary. We decided on hunting the latter end of season thinking dates would help, but the bucks were more active earlier in season.

Good luck... should be fun!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom