2nd season unit 21 deer

Bucks_Bulls

Looking for opinions on this hunt for next year as non residents I have 9 pts, my dad 7, and my brother 8. So putting in as a group we would average 8 I believe. Thinking about putting in for this hunt. I’m in good shape, my dad is 66 and can’t or doesn’t want to walk far because of health issues and my brother can’t walk much at all due to childhood health issues. Knowing this are expectations aren’t high and are looking to have a good time and see some deer even if they aren’t giant. We have hunted Colorado twice, once in unit 3 3rd season and once in unit 4 2nd season. Unit 3 I got a 3 pt and the next year in unit 4 we struck out. We didn’t see many deer in either unit which we expected because it was easy to draw so we have been waiting to hunt area 21 hoping that we would have a better experience as far as seeing deer. They put in where ever I tell them, so no pressure on me right haha.
Is this area worth the wait? Will it work with two hunters being stuck in the truck most the time? Just looking for general information, pm me or post if you have any input. Thanks!

Colorado doesn’t average points and will use the lowest point total so the party would have to draw with 7, not sure if you will get the tag or not. If you do, then the unit has a large road system so having two hunters from the truck is very doable and they should see plenty of deer, just wouldn’t count on seeing high quality bucks from the road but it has happened and could happen. Unit 21 isnt what it used to be or as good as its reputation in my opinion but still has the ability to produce a nice buck and should have a better experience than your other two hunts as far as quantity of deer is concerned. Just go have a great time and see what happens.

Last year was 1 out of 29 with 7 points drew, so since Colorado does not average (wish they did somehow!) you are likely not to draw. Maybe you could apply individually or 2 groups and hunt it a few times instead of all at once? That or you will need to find another unit. Good luck!

Hunted 21 2nd last year. You can easily road hunt from a truck or ot atv and get a buck. From what I saw that's all the locals do. Don't expect a big one tho. You don't have a chance with chance with 7 points. 9 might not even get it. I used 10 last year.

Colorado doesn’t average points and will use the lowest point total so the party would have to draw with 7, not sure if you will get the tag or not. If you do, then the unit has a large road system so having two hunters from the truck is very doable and they should see plenty of deer, just wouldn’t count on seeing high quality bucks from the road but it has happened and could happen. Unit 21 isnt what it used to be or as good as its reputation in my opinion but still has the ability to produce a nice buck and should have a better experience than your other two hunts as far as quantity of deer is concerned. Just go have a great time and see what happens.
Dang that’s good to know about the points, kind of a bummer. Good Info I appreciate the response. I’ll have to talk to them and see if they want to do a group app or separate. Could also wait another year. Thanks

Last year was 1 out of 29 with 7 points drew, so since Colorado does not average (wish they did somehow!) you are likely not to draw. Maybe you could apply individually or 2 groups and hunt it a few times instead of all at once? That or you will need to find another unit. Good luck!
Thanks for the response yeah I was looking at odds and it looks like it took 8 points to draw except for a few lucky ones like you with 7. I’ll have to see what they want to do.

Hunted 21 2nd last year. You can easily road hunt from a truck or ot atv and get a buck. From what I saw that's all the locals do. Don't expect a big one tho. You don't have a chance with chance with 7 points. 9 might not even get it. I used 10 last year.
Good info thanks for the response. We really don’t care about or expect big bucks off the road just looking for a fun hunt in good country.

Plenty of roads to travel in this unit. I did a 4th season cow elk hunt in this unit about 6 or 8 years ago and despite a lot of driving and a fair amount of hiking, we saw very very few deer. And I mean next to none. We were on the north end of the unit so perhaps the south end might be better. Did see a nice buck that another hunter took.

Maybe you could apply individually or 2 groups and hunt it a few times instead of all at once?

Never hunted it before, but this is a plan I'm considering in AZ. One hunter, one person to help spot, pack, plus the camaraderie and no pressure to fill multiple tags. Then go back next year and do it all over again!

Never hunted it before, but this is a plan I'm considering in AZ. One hunter, one person to help spot, pack, plus the camaraderie and no pressure to fill multiple tags. Then go back next year and do it all over again!
Quite frankly, I don't know why more people don't adopt this approach. If both dad and I draw tags at the same time, it was quite frankly a mistake. Much more enjoyable to hunt 1 tag well than 2 tags and always feel like there's pressure mounting with each passing day.

Thanks for the info guys I’ll talk it over with them and see what they want to do. If we end up going I’ll post some pics. Thanks again!

My buddy and I drew 21 2nd this year. Each of us burned 10 points. Hope it's a good hunt. Will make a Sept scouting trip, then go up 3 days before opener and plan to stay the entire hunt.
John

I will be out there as well for the whole hunt. I decided to burn points to just have a fun hunt to have my daughter tag along with to spend time hunting together.

We are looking to just have a good time. This is my only tag so far, struck out in Utah and Nevada. Only pending application is Arizona deer but odds are slim.

Does it matter if we access the unit from the north through Rangely or should we come in from the south around I -70 /Mack? Thanks for the reply’s.

It's a fun hunt for 140-150" deer don't get you're hopes up too high for a big one 2nd season.
If this is really true it makes one wonder why anyone would wait ten years on this hunt. I was reading a magazine yesterday with a picture in the front cover of a buck quite a bit larger than 140 and he was sporting a unit 21 SECOND rifle tag in those antlers. I understand this isn’t the norm but I feel like I can have a fun hunt in several 0 point units going after 140-150 bucks just about every year. Not sure if the awfulness of these units is stressed over and over on forums to prepare excited hunters for the disappointment that looms or to battle point creep just a little. Maybe I’m totally off on this but I just don’t see why people wait ten years on a 140” buck when they can be seen in lots of units in Colorado that are far easier to draw. Once again I understand that Colorado isn’t what it once was (How the hell can I forget) but come on guys!
The hunt will give back what u put into it. They r there and most of them are resident deer. The later dates this year will certainly help u guys and with a little effort u mite just blow right by that 140” normal for the overrated unit

It used to be a good unit, and has been hyped up by the Huntin fool guys and others over the years. I have seen some nice deer in there, but not in the last couple years.

If this is really true it makes one wonder why anyone would wait ten years on this hunt. I was reading a magazine yesterday with a picture in the front cover of a buck quite a bit larger than 140 and he was sporting a unit 21 SECOND rifle tag in those antlers. I understand this isn’t the norm but I feel like I can have a fun hunt in several 0 point units going after 140-150 bucks just about every year. Not sure if the awfulness of these units is stressed over and over on forums to prepare excited hunters for the disappointment that looms or to battle point creep just a little. Maybe I’m totally off on this but I just don’t see why people wait ten years on a 140” buck when they can be seen in lots of units in Colorado that are far easier to draw. Once again I understand that Colorado isn’t what it once was (How the hell can I forget) but come on guys!
The hunt will give back what u put into it. They r there and most of them are resident deer. The later dates this year will certainly help u guys and with a little effort u mite just blow right by that 140” normal for the overrated unit

We know it’s probably over hyped but we’ve been hunting other states and haven’t been sitting home for the last 9 years. I’ve killed some big deer it’s not important to me just always have wanted to try 21. Appreciate all the feed back, our expectations are defiantly low as far as big bucks but oh well. Best of luck to everyone!

We know it’s probably over hyped but we’ve been hunting other states and haven’t been sitting home for the last 9 years. I’ve killed some big deer it’s not important to me just always have wanted to try 21. Appreciate all the feed back, our expectations are defiantly low as far as big bucks but oh well. Best of luck to everyone!
I’ve never hunted it but I did drive through it last year on the way home, nice looking country.
Good luck

Spoke with two different wildlife biologists in this region and both contributed the down turn to quality in this region to the spring of 2014, 2015 and 2016; Very poor fawn recruitment those years which has subsequently taken the 4 year old class of bucks out of the herd.
Both biologist suspect a rebound this year and next year on four year old bucks since fawn recruitment has been high and winters have been ideal since winter 16/17.

This is just what was told to me so thought I'd pass it along. Dont kill the messenger and let's not hijack this thread with a pissing match about how CO is lying and mismanaging the deer herd.

If it was me I would come in off of I 70 and head up to Douglas Pass.
I hunted 30 second season quite a few years ago and most of the bucks I found were east on the divide ridge of unit 30 and 21.

hunted 2 years ago with the wife. She shot a her best buck to date and time in the field. It is not worth the points I burned and I understood that as I wasn't holding out for any unit with points since I usually purchase a landowner tag in other units that take 0-2 points to draw that I believe is better. This just fit the mold to have a fun hunt with my daughter after my wife Nevada deer hunt and my utah hunts set in and gives me something before the Utah Late bull elk kicks in. I know I wasted 15 points for a unit that is way way not like it use to be. The hunt for me to be success is to spend that quality time in the field with my daughter and making the memories to last a lifetime. I hope to meet many of you in the field.

Driving home from our first scouting trip. We drove around the oil springs wilderness area, rabbit mountain, Texas mountain, Philadelphia creek, and Baxter pass. Only saw a couple deer at the top of Baxter. Didn’t expect to see many deer due to the hot weather this weekend and the full moon but we also didn’t see many tracks even around the limited water sources there were 0 tracks. Kind of concerned that the deer won’t be in the areas by the time our hunt starts unless there’s some major weather. Do the deer migrate down from Baxter pass and that area or do they come from somewhere else? And if they do come from Baxter pass and head north do they hold up in the 10 mile stretch of private ground? Texas looked a little more promising but coming into it from the north the road is nearly washed out in the creek bottom and if it’s wet probably is really sketchy? Texas is also steep and thick with tons of horse sign. That’s kind of the take away from this trip is if there’s rain or snow and we get off the lower gravel roads we’re going to need a full set of chains or just stay on the lower roads. If anyone has any tips as far as migration patterns or typical deer elevations that time of year I would appreciate it. Thinking about going out there again the weekend before it starts to look around again. Thanks!

Driving home from our first scouting trip. We drove around the oil springs wilderness area, rabbit mountain, Texas mountain, Philadelphia creek, and Baxter pass. Only saw a couple deer at the top of Baxter. Didn’t expect to see many deer due to the hot weather this weekend and the full moon but we also didn’t see many tracks even around the limited water sources there were 0 tracks. Kind of concerned that the deer won’t be in the areas by the time our hunt starts unless there’s some major weather. Do the deer migrate down from Baxter pass and that area or do they come from somewhere else? And if they do come from Baxter pass and head north do they hold up in the 10 mile stretch of private ground? Texas looked a little more promising but coming into it from the north the road is nearly washed out in the creek bottom and if it’s wet probably is really sketchy? Texas is also steep and thick with tons of horse sign. That’s kind of the take away from this trip is if there’s rain or snow and we get off the lower gravel roads we’re going to need a full set of chains or just stay on the lower roads. If anyone has any tips as far as migration patterns or typical deer elevations that time of year I would appreciate it. Thinking about going out there again the weekend before it starts to look around again. Thanks!
I would bring ATVs because of the roads. Roads get really tough with the clay including lower. Many are washing out.
Look for cheatgrass growing in the bottom of draws. If it is hot and dry identify water sources and possible routes down to the water that don't cross major roads. You may be able to intercept them as they return to shade up for the day. Look for north facing treed slopes for cool places to bed. I am betting hot and dry.

I live in Rangely and work in the heart of 21. The deer aren't here yet and it's 99% migratory herd off the roan. It doesn't surprise me a bit that your earlier scouting didn't yield much. Completely normal for that time of year. I honestly wouldn't recomend coming until your season starts. The deer usually come by the 10th but this year its acting like they won't get here until later. As said before, it isn't what it used to be but you'll still see a lot of bucks. Don't be too picky.

Good luck,

Todd

I live in Rangely and work in the heart of 21. The deer aren't here yet and it's 99% migratory herd off the roan. It doesn't surprise me a bit that your earlier scouting didn't yield much. Completely normal for that time of year. I honestly wouldn't recomend coming until your season starts. The deer usually come by the 10th but this year its acting like they won't get here until later. As said before, it isn't what it used to be but you'll still see a lot of bucks. Don't be too picky.

Good luck,

Todd
Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. We’re just now planning when we want to be there. Leaning towards opening weekend and then coming back wed-sun second weekend. Fingers crossed we see some deer, either way it will be a fun trip with the family.

I went for a ride this evening. It’s pretty scary how few deer I saw. That said, I still saw 4 bucks and one of those was a low 170’s shooter buck (in my opinion). There is still a little over a week for more deer to move in and get some weather. Even so, I think you all will have a good hunt.

75FDDBEA-35BD-4662-987E-1F84DA138C95.jpeg

Todd

I went for a ride this evening. It’s pretty scary how few deer I saw. That said, I still saw 4 bucks and one of those was a low 170’s shooter buck (in my opinion). There is still a little over a week for more deer to move in and get some weather. Even so, I think you all will have a good hunt.

View attachment 15000
Todd
That’s a nice buck! Good to hear some deer are starting to move in. 1 week and we’re heading out, starting to get exciting!

Just got home from the first trip, hunted Sat-Mon. Saw some deer, about 15 bucks biggest was a 20-22” 4pt that didn’t give us much of a look opening morning. Lots of 2pts and does and tons of people. Most of Sunday it was windy and snowing. Today was around 0 degrees a lot of the deer we saw In the morning were laying down. Today we saw someone shoot a pretty good buck straight down a cliff canyon not sure how they are getting out of there, but I probably would have shot too. Still have 3 tags headed back Thursday afternoon. Wish us luck, hopefully more deer are migrating in for next weekend.

Thanks to everyone that gave advice. We ended up filling all three tags. The goal was to see a lot of deer and feel like there was a chance for a big one. I shot mine (middle) Friday night when it was just me and my dad, he was so heavy we couldn’t lift him in the truck. Thanks to the guys from Ogden that stopped and gave us a hand. Not the biggest bucks, but we had fun. Good luck to the third season hunters , the bucks were rutting hard yesterday and today. The video is some bucks just on private.

65B3EE3C-B4B1-4012-B3C0-169A5030C524.jpeg

EE1B3335-480A-4CFB-ACD5-7A8F476A8077.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6211.MOV
    83.7 MB

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom