2nd Shots

Skykarp

So I was recently on a mule deer hunt with my dad on a 17 point tag. We were able to get in to 250yards of the biggest deer hes ever killed and hammer it with the first shot and the deer ate it up. He followed it up and was high, luckily it missed because 10 seconds later he piled up.

So it got me to thinking all my 2nd shot misses I have had have all been high. Interested to hear other peoples experience.

So I was recently on a mule deer hunt with my dad on a 17 point tag. We were able to get in to 250yards of the biggest deer hes ever killed and hammer it with the first shot and the deer ate it up. He followed it up and was high, luckily it missed because 10 seconds later he piled up.

So it got me to thinking all my 2nd shot misses I have had have all been high. Interested to hear other peoples experience.
This has happened to me twice. I often wander if my follow through was poor and I looked up to see if I finished it off.

I think sometimes we get in a hurry. Most guns won't be off that much, even if sighting in between shots you let the barrel cool off to pre-shot conditions.

This has happened to me twice. I often wander if my follow through was poor and I looked up to see if I finished it off.
This is the most likely cause of high shots or the rifle wasn’t solid into your shoulder/pectoral area. Add in some buck fever and it gets even worse.

Get them with the first shot.......because "buck fever" sets in for the second shot.
At least for me it does. Hunting for over 50 years......still get buck fever.

Now that you mentioned the buck, you have to post a picture of it.

I'll continue to send a 2nd shot when an animal is still kicking. Often the animal tips over dead before I have a chance to put a 2nd shot in it. I can't think of a time that the 2nd shot missed high. Buck fever is the only explanation for the 2nd shot hitting high at 250 yards.

Once that first shot goes off, the cats out of the bag and it’s Katy bar the door......... and any other acronym you can think of to describe total pandemonium.

The second shot separates the men from us boys............ I know very few men, I’m still not potty trained when it comes to second shots. Neither are most support staff, when they’re screaming, 2” from your ear......... SHOT AGAIN, SHOT AGAIN, SHOT AGAIN......

I’m dead solid on the first shot, after that… it’s anyones guess. Luckily I don’t often need a second shot, but I’ve ruined 2 deer capes due to follow up shots on deer that were already dead on their feet.

I missed an elk twice last week. Passed on another one. Couldn’t get my gun up in time for another bull. Finally got my off hand chance at another bull and dumped it.

But I can count a few times where I missed high on second shot.

I missed an elk twice last week. Passed on another one. Couldn’t get my gun up in time for another bull. Finally got my off hand chance at another bull and dumped it.

But I can count a few times where I missed high on second shot.
every year Bloodtracker you must have private ground to hunt?
Congrats

No, just the usual general season bull tag on public ground. I just have the elk in this particular area figured out. Tough hunt with no rut activity. Killed a meat bull second saturday of the hunt. The goal every year is to put elk in the freezer, not on the wall. 19 years straight, the goal has been met!

No, just the usual general season bull tag on public ground. I just have the elk in this particular area figured out. Tough hunt with no rut activity. Killed a meat bull second saturday of the hunt. The goal every year is to put elk in the freezer, not on the wall. 19 years straight, the goal has been met!
That's what I am talking about elk in the freezer way to go

It's different with big game, but some times the second shot with a shotgun can be your saving grace. Many times I'll miss the first shot and then kill 2 or more ducks on the second or third shot. As long as it averages out to about a bird a shot, that's good shooting. :)

I'm a firm believer in shooting elk as long as they are still standing. I have had several of mine, or other friends elk go a long way after a poor first shot. Sometimes into a much worse location for recovery!

With deer or antelope, if I feel the first shot went where I wanted, I might give them the benefit if the doubt, but if they're still motoring good BANG!!.

This poor elk in my avatar took four shots before he went down, but he was dead with the first shot and just didn't know it. All four shots were lung shots from a 30.06 shooting 165 grain Accubonds. I'm quick on the second, third and fourth shot, after that I'm reloading so the fifth shot takes a little longer ;)

I've been racking my brain for a few days now after this topic was posted. I sort of ran the kills of everything through my mind as best as I recalled them. All I came up with is only one of the critters in my two trophy rooms was shot more than once after a hit. That was Edgar, my BC moose. I hit him 3 times in a pie-plate sized area while he was running across a hillside. Any three of the shots would likely have killed him since all went through lungs, yet he still managed to go 100 yds. before he laid down. Even then, he got up & tried to stomp me before he finally died.

Everything else was bang, flop instantly or shortly thereafter. The only thing I've ever lost after one shot was a Michigan whitetail that I wounded with an arrow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom