30/06 LR Bullet

joesikora

Long Time Member
I just noticed that the Nosler 180 gr partition bullets are out of stock so I’m guessing their phasing out the those bullets. I do have a couple of boxes though and that could last me the rest of my rifle shooting Life.
But what load can I make or buy that I can shot out to 1000 yds with my HS Precision 30/06 rifle zero in at 300yds just in case when I finally draw my UT elk tag after waiting 25 yrs to get the tag and my health won’t let me get any closer then 756 yds and yes he’s a Booner. What are your suggestions

Thanks Joe

ABLR. Currently using the 150 gr in my 6.8mm-06. Less muzzle velocity, but better downrange performance. At 500 yds it has 50% weight retention shooting at water jugs with a clay hill backstop.

patience grasshopper
Nosler will make more 180 grain partitions.

I have been searching for a particular Nosler accubond bullet and they currently are not available anywhere...

Lol sjhgraysage! I know what you mean but most of the time when I find something I like I’m late to the dance and they change to a newer, prettier design LOL!

thanks Joe

Says they are in stock.

802032F9-EFAE-4AB9-8350-ADBA2DD39CDF.png

I love my nosler portions, and yes they will be making them in the future

That said, if I wanted to shoot 600 yards plus it wouldn’t be with the partition and wouldn’t be with the 180 gr. Too big for long range out of the ‘06

I love my nosler portions, and yes they will be making them in the future

That said, if I wanted to shoot 600 yards plus it wouldn’t be with the partition and wouldn’t be with the 180 gr. Too big for long range out of the ‘06

600 yds is my limit for an effective kill shot. Have shot cow elk at that distance and my daughter shot her cow last year at 500. Much past that and the ballistics really begin to suffer.

Watched a video of a guy shooting an oryx off range at 1000 yds. He ended up following up with the kill shot at 200. Go figure...

HI PLK, yeah it’s the slang we use where I live we even call shot-shells bullets too!
We’re just a bunch of Trump Deplorables here in Southern IL

Don't listen to these guys that are badmouthing the 30-06, it is common rhetoric from the uninformed. Most factory '06 ammo is weak but when it is loaded to where it should be it is an entirely different animal.
SAAMI (sporting arms and manufacturers institute) specs for the 30-06 are only 60,000 psi while other modern cartridges based on the 30-06 are much higher, the .270 winchester is 65,000 psi. Most factory ammo is loaded even less than 60,000 psi due to liability concerns. It is thought that there are still some 1917 Enfields floating around which had receivers that were improperly heat treated and not safe at higher pressures. Modern 30-06 rifles can safely be loaded to the higher pressures and 3,000 fps is achievable with a 165 grain bullet and the right powder, the 180 isn't too far behind that. That's roughly 200-300 fps more than most factory loads and the chronograph doesn't lie.

Of course if you aren't a reloader disregard all the above:rolleyes:.
If you do reload and need more horsepower then Ackley it. I love my 30-06 Ackley, brass doesn't stretch and need trimming. There are buckets of 30-06 brass everywhere. It will still shoot factory 30-06 ammo which is the cheapest of all modern big game cartridges. With a 26" barrel you can equal or slightly better the .300 holland and holland magnum and it will fit five in the magazine, you can't do that with a magnum.

So my recommendation is to reload, buy a chronograph, Ackley your rifle, and buy a 300 win or rum anyways. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE TOO MANY RIFLES.? Oh and one more thing, make sure it's a Winchester model 70:p

He is specifically asking about factory loaded 180s because he has quite a few of them. With that in mind, he has gotten good advice.

what is Ackley - ing a rifle?
A wildcat version on a cartridge. Can be done to many normal cartridges. Basically moving the case shoulder forward increasing powder capacity. I agree with bob. Except for the Winchester part. Modern bullets and powders have given the .06 new life. Anyone that handloads should check out the new Hammer Absolute. Even more performance in the old girl. mtmuley

A wildcat version on a cartridge. Can be done to many normal cartridges. Basically moving the case shoulder forward increasing powder capacity. I agree with bob. Except for the Winchester part. Modern bullets and powders have given the .06 new life. Anyone that handloads should check out the new Hammer Absolute. Even more performance in the old girl. mtmuley
Besides changing the shoulder an Ackley also makes the case more straight walled than tapered and that is what keeps the brass from stretching and allows more case capacity.

TX hunter 58 I realize he was talking about factory ammo and I was pointing out that those who were bad-mouthing the '06 as being weak isn't necessarily so. It isn't the cartridge itself but the reduced pressure loading. I also know he was asking about 180's, I did say the 180 isn't far behind the 165's 3,000 fps. There is hotter factory ammo available for the '06 and even in standard loads the 30-06 is perfectly capable of 1,000 yard target shooting. People shoot at 1,000 all the time with a .308 winny and the '06 is a step above that.

I agree with today’s bullets and powder, sizing dies and chronograph You can make that 30-06 very accurate. If it doesn’t work you can throw it off a cliff.

The 30-06 is an incredible cartridge! I suspect it could be made to hit a target at 1000 yards right along with the touted long range rifles. Would I personally shoot an elk at 800 yards or farther with it, reloads or not. No. But with the right bullets in the right shooter, it could be done

Last edited:
Seems like a stretch to go through all that trouble to make a long range bomber out of an .06 and then have to worry about knockdown energy on an elk or deer at those longer distances. Wouldn’t it be better to buy a 300 RUM and do a little work to it?!

I’ve got an .06 pump action that I trust to about 300 yards. I keep it around as a backup in case I bump the scope on the 300 RUM on a hunt or??

Lots of great info and discussions. I shoot the Federal Premium Vital-Shock out of my HS Precision 30/06 with Leupold Scope zeroed at 300yds.
Also when I was looking up the name of the Ammo I use all were out of stock no backorder

thanks guys

Joe

I'm reloading my sons custom 06 with 55 grains N550, behind 205 grain elite hunter...getting over 2800 velocity. We've shot several 3" groups at 500 yards. Nasty deadly little gun on whitetail!
Idk about 800 on an elk with that bullet, but dam It shoout nice! Reloading with a elk bullet like the partitions or hammers will geter done.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom