30-06 VS. .300 Mags Penetration

wallhanger

I've got a question for you guys. I was reading a thread on another forum yesterday, and the arguement was over whether or not a guy should take his 30-06 for his brown bear hunt. Some said yes, others said no way, and then turned around and recommended that he shoot nothing less than a 300 mag. So I got to thinking, which can be scary, but I did anyway. What's the big difference?

They're both .30 Calibers. They both have the same available bullets. Shots at Brown bears tend to be a lot closer than deer and elk, so what's the big advantage. I actually think that in some instances bullets going a little slower penetrate better than a bullet going mach 2 because it's able to stay together. And on big, tough game, that's the most important thing. Is it that the 06 just doesn't have enough energy to carry the same bullet deep enough into the vitals? Can anybody explain to me why a .300 Mag is a better choice when using the same bullets?

thanks,

WH

You are right in that there is not a whole lotta difference. What I think it comes down to is the .300 wm just delivers more energy at impact. With a Partition or bonded bullet that won't come apart, the penetration will be greater too. I'd feel a little better with the .300 win mag if I were after brownies. I'd feel even better with a .338.

i have a real good friend who is a brown bear guide. on kodiak island. he won't even allow a client to use a .300 mag. his minimum is a .340 weatherby. he carries a .375 h&h that is set up like a scout rifle. long eye relief scope plus iron sights. short barrel. if he ever shoots it's at real close range and the bear is charging. his favorite is the .375 h&h or the the .378 weatherby. for years he allowed a .300 but said he just got tired of tracking wounded ones into the willows. he also makes them prove they can shoot before hand. he even sent a guy home once because he was such a hopeless shot. an '06 will no doubt work, as will any .300 mag. but if i was gonna go after something that could kill me back, i think i'm gonna pack the max i can stand.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom