30 30 improved ????

bowedark

Have a Savage 24, 3030 top with a 12 Ga.underneath.

The 3030 lacks distance. So thinking about turning the 3030 and to improve 3030.

Talk a gun smith said that he could bore the chamber out to improve 3030. The difference in SPEED would be 2250fps to as much as 2700fps on 150g bullet.

Also the rifle would still be able to shoot 3030 in a pinch.
That is the way you form your brass also.

Has anyone experience 3030 improved & would you do this???

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-05 AT 11:55PM (MST)[p]There is no way you would gain 450 fps. Maybe 100 to 200 fps, at the most would be my guess. Since you're not shooting it out of a lever action, you could use a pointed bullet, and even at 2200 fps it ought to shoot flat enough out to at least 200 yards. What kind of distance are you wanting to shoot?

I rechambered a marlin for the A.I. and no, you won't get 2700fps from it. From my point of view the only reason to go this route is to get better performance with the 170 gr. nosler partition. A few years back there was a run of them that seemed not to want to expand. I do not know if that is still the case or not, but that is why I cut mine.

Question the top end velocities being that much higher from what I have read from reliable sources. Realistically expect maybe 200 fps. Still not bad.

You will gain some velocit advantage but another unseen benefit is that the straight sided case walls grip the chamber better and don't create as much back thrust against the breach. If properly formed and sized this is easier on the gun and the brass too.

good luck

meatmaker

sierra makes 125 gr hollowpoint flatnose bullets for a .30/30. load some o' those. makes a big difference in an ol' .30. if you're using a singleshot like you say, load some 110 gr spitzers or hollowpoints in it or see if you can find some 100 gr bullets for a .30 carbine and load em in your .30/30. just don't ever shoot anything but flatnose bullets in a tube magazine rifle.

Hornady just came out with their new Leverevolution bullets. They look like a soft tipped ballistic tip bullet. They are supposed to have a better ballistic coefficient and have much better velocity than standard flat or round nosed bullets. They have a soft but safe ballistic tip on them to safely use in a lever action rifle like the 30/30. You may just try getting your hands on a box or two and see if you like them before you go out and modify your rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom