30 cal - what is it?

Bluehair

Long Time Member
Ok, rooting around in the dark corners of my reloading JUNK and came across this thing. It has an hourglass shape. I don’t remember seeing anything like it.

It’s .308 diameter and I didn’t bother to weigh it.

Anyone know who made it?
425B580D-1CBA-46EC-9A06-B778291CFF82.jpeg

Actually looks like Really Old 303 British, when they used them with a heavy 3 point crimp further down the neck, instead of at the case mouth. Mike it really close and see if it isn't .311 instead of .308

Actually looks like Really Old 303 British, when they used them with a heavy 3 point crimp further down the neck, instead of at the case mouth. Mike it really close and see if it isn't .311 instead of .308
Hmmmm…..I was thinking it was for some funky crimp. It’s with a bunch of bullets pulled from mil ball.

Here’s the updated dimensions fwiw. The waist is .285.

The good news is I was able to scrounge up 60 pieces of 30 cal plinkers (125/150’s). And a handfull of ap slugs :cool: Rare for me to come out money ahead these days.
846E20D2-29DD-4434-98C0-5BDD1F1F478C.jpeg

That’s an unusual bullet. I’ve never seen anything like that before. The crimp idea makes sense, but it’s hard to imagine the need for such a radical, tight crimp that it would create when canelures are out there. My guess is that those bullets were defects from production and sold off real cheap. Maybe they were supposed to be rebated boat tails and a machine went haywire and had them misaligned.

"Wasp waist" bullet. Herters at one time marketed some in .30 caliber. However this one looks like it is a wasp waist with a boattail??

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Wish I had a box of them, but I’m not sure why. I have a dish of arrowheads, I’ll toss it in there with the other relics. (y)

Same idea as a .510 caliber/50.bmg bore rider bullet. Less surface area contacting the bore = less friction = higher velocity.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom