30 year old sheds

antlerradar

arthayes83103-1.jpg

arthayes83103-2.jpg

This buck was taken back in 1961 near my home. The 1964 B@C book gives this buck a net score of 192 6/8. The deer was a 8 by 5 taken by a Franlin Hollinger (sp?). I think he was from Harrisburg, PA.
I found the sheds in 1988 and 1991 within a mile of where the buck was shot. The shed with the two cheaters scores 84 4/8 on the frame and several inches are chewed off. The other shed scores 82 4/8. My brother found the match to the bigger antler in 1981 but unfortunately all of the points were chewed off. I found the match to the smaller antler in 1991 but all that was left was the bace to the main fork. I spotted the smaller antler at 800 yard under some juniper trees. I had to use the spotting scope to make sure my 10 power bino. were not lieing to me. I luckest find of my life.

This is one of the biggest bucks to ever come out of my aria. I would sure like to locate this buck. If any of you have any Info on this buck please let me know.

antlerradar

Are you saying that the sheds lay for 30 years before you found them? I would say that is virtually impossible outdoors. There could be lots of recent sheds that look similar to such a clean four point with few very distinguishing characteristics. It's also quit possible that I have no idea what I speak about.

I have sheds laying outdoors in my parents yard that I picked up 25 years ago. They looked old but intact when I found them. They look exactly the same today. They are still strong and sound. The antler arch in Jackson Wyoming was built in the 1960's. It is not falling apart at all. As far as chewing rodents go, in my area antlers away from tall trees rarely get chewed no matter how many years they lay on the ground.

great pics and story. i have found some sheds that are definitely tens of years old as well and very much intact. the dry climate and lack of bone chewing varmints are key to sheds laying on the ground a long time without changing too much.

congrats on posting the pics, too!

berto

Hey good job posting the pics, I'm impressed! Now maybe you can teach me. How did you come up with the picture?
arlo

I am 100% sure that the antlers are from the 1961 buck. The pic on the message board are not as good as the original photos. In the original photo you can see the cheaters on the G3 just like the cheaters on the sheds. Also the browtines match exactly. The hanging buck has one browtine that is thiner and hooks a little forward and the other is longer and palmated. The sheds have the same browtines. I also have the atvantage of holding the sheds at the same angle as the antlers in the pic. The curves of the G2 and G4 are exactly the same. This buck is from eastern MT. There are not lots of bucks of this calliber. Had the larger shed not been chewed on the G1 and G4 it would be the largest MT antler I have ever found and I have found 10,000 or better. I have found antlers that were much older. I have found a dozen old elk antlers. Elk were hunted out in the 20s and are just now making a comeback. I have also found a few buffalo horns. They would have to be 100 years old. I have even found a bighorn sheep skull. If bones are in the right spot they will last a long time. I belive alot of people underesimate the age of shed antlers.

antlerradar

Antlerradar,
That's really cool. I wish they would last that long here. You've seen how bad the rodents here are in my pics. I'm lucky if I can find sheds that are older than 5 years. We've done tests out in the yard and it doesn't take long with our conditions for a chewed antler to really deteriate. Moose sheds by far are the worst. I think the palm really holds in the moisture and helps advance the rot.
I did find some elk sheds last year above timberline in an area that hasn't had elk for over 200 years. That was really cool. They were really chaulky and falling apart. The cold dry climate must have been what protected them.

I be darned. Maybe a lot of my antlers are much older than I think they are.

awesome pic's and story...I am also interested on how you got the picture of the buck. Sounds like you have done your homework on that deer. Great post...Thanks for sharing

I got the pic. from a neighbor of mine and had some copies made. His brother guided the hunter. I have talked to him and he couldn't remember the exact spot of the kill but did remember that it was in the head of ---- creek.

Antlerradar

I got a hold of the hunter that shot this buck last week. I looked up his last name in the white pages on the internet and stated calling numbers untill I found some one that knew him. The old guy was happy to hear from me about his buck. From the way he decribed the hunt it is likly that I found the bigger antler less than 400 yards from where he shot the buck. The buck is now in a small collage "game room" in Mechanicburg, PA. I could not find the town on the map but it must be close to Harrisburg.

Antlerradar

cool, it sounds like your detective work paid off.

too bad the matches to the sheds you found were chewed so much.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom