.300 decision

10point

Okay, so I have changed my mind a million times now. Today I went to another store and have narrowed down my decision. Either a Savage with the accutrigger at $375, or the Tikka at $475. The savage is a wood stalk and the tikka is synthetic. I would be worried that a tikka in .300 would kick pretty good with as light as this rifle is. What are your guys opinion on these rifles? This rifle will be used for all of my hunting; coyotes, antelope, deer, elk, and whatever the future brings. Right now I have a .270 ruger. Do you think those other rifles in 300 would be a good upgrade? I sure liked the accutrigger.
Thanks for the help guys!!

By the way. Both of these rifles come with right handed bolts, and I am left handed. I could have them order a left handed model but it would be an additional 50 to 100 dollars on the overall price. It wouldnt hurt anything for me to shoot a righty rifle would it?

Has your 270 ever let you down or do you just want a new gun:? I have a 270 and used it for 14 years. I killed everything I shot with it, two bull elk being the largest. Everything was under 200 yards, but I got the itch to upgrade to a 300wsm in the Browning a-bolt. I love it and have taken black bear, deer and elk with it up to 440 yards. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I still think my 270 would have dropped them all the same. I would spend the money and get a lefty. For me guns are hard to part with and if you are going to keep it for awhile get what is comfy.

I also have the browning 300wsm a-bolt and love it.I bought my wife the tikka 270wsm and that gun is amazing,it may be the most comfortable gun I've shot,and her confidence level is incredible with it in her hands.I do agree buy the lefty so you're always confident as well.

I just got the T3 in 300wsm. They don't kick too much, unless you shoot up a box or 2 at the range you might feel a little sore. Never feel it when shooting at something. They are loud though.

I agree with the guy who says the .270 will get the job done (20 years). However, about 15 years ago I had to have a new gun. I have a .300 Weatherby (Accumark). It took a while to get the handloads right, but it shoots 180 Accubonds at 3428 FPS. With a dead rest and a barrel deresonator (that rubber thing from Limbsaver), all fall I got 1&3/8 inch groups at 300 yards. The deer, elk, bears, coyotes and rockchucks all fall down (or blow up) when you shoot at them. If you just want a new gun, the Weatherby is the way I'd suggest.

I've been looking at rifles as well, and handled both the Tikka and the Savage yesterday. If it were me, I'd say Tikka hands down. The trigger on the Tikka is every bit as crisp as aftermarket jobs I've had done on my other guns, and the action is really smooth. I also like the feel of the palm swell. I would probably upgrade the recoil pad on either one though. I'd say that if you had the .270 and .300, you'd pretty much have everything you want to hunt covered and then some. Are you thinking .300 win mag or wsm?

Good luck with your decision.

WH

I agree with KNOPHISH, I also have the T3 in 300 WSM. It is really not that bad as far as recoil goes. Maybe if you shot a box of ammo at the range, it might start to wear on you, but you probably won't be doing that very often. I'm not a lefty, but if I were you - I'd spend the extra cash for one if you plan on keeping the rifle for a long time, I bet you won't regret it.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

I also shoot lefty. I hate right handed guns. I would for sure shell another 50-100 bucks all day long for lefty guns.

> I
>have a .300 Weatherby (Accumark).
> It took a while
>to get the handloads right,
>but it shoots 180 Accubonds
>at 3428 FPS.

Is that a typo??? You mean 3248???

You'll get what you pay for with either the Savage or the Tika...

No mater how you cut it plastic crap is still plastic crap. They'll both shoot lights out though :D

i had a savage and took it apart one day to look at how it was built, i was thinking of getting it bedded when i saw how cheep it was built i sold it and bought a ruger, hands down a better gun, the weatherby is also nice. the money isnt that much more but if its worth doing its worth buying a gun thats going to last, just my two cents. hope this helps

You get what you pay for. Get a Browning and be done with it. I am a lefty and hunted with a right handed Ruger .270 for a couple of years. I bought a 300 mag. in lefty a few years back and I love how comfortable it is you don't know what you are missing until you get a lefty they are worth the extra money for sure. Look into a .270 WSM great new caliber.

"They don't kick too much, unless you shoot up a box or 2 at the range you might feel a little sore. Never feel it when shooting at something. They are loud though."

I have the 300 wsm too and I second what KNOPHISH said. its a great weapon for the price. I've taken 4 deer now with it from 300 to 412 yards and always just put the cross hairs right on the heart.

I am also left-handed and shoot right handed bolt action guns. Doesn't bother me one bit. I bought my first left-handed gun recently and decided to sell it. It's tough to sell a left-handed gun..trust me. I also have kids that will use my guns and they shoot right handed. Couple things to consider.

By the way, you won't be dissapointed with a new Savage. I love the Accu-trigger.

ALOT OF GUYS LOVE THE TIKKAS AS I DO. THEY DONT KICK MUCH (.300 WSM) & I THOUGHT THEY WERE ON THE QUIET SIDE OF THE BLAST. YD.

i have a 22 250 savage with the accutrigger. i love it. ya the savage might be a little cheaper but if you want a gun to hunt with and not worry about hurting it then buy a savage. i would be scared to get a new browning a bolt out there and fall or scratch it for all the money you pay for a nice looking gun. the accutrigger helped me with flinching. dont know why i did but no matter if it was a .22 or my .270 or my dads .300 ultra mag i flinched but the accutrigger helps me.

P.S. .300 ultra mag is krap. my .270 does just as good on elk deer whatever you want to shoot. and expensive to shoot.

The 300 Rem. Ultra Mag would be my choice! Muzzle brake is a must though. If you don't mind the recoil and want to have that very long range capability it's a much better choice. Buy the best rifle you can afford and don't look back. You get what you pay for in rifles and you should have it for a long time.

I am also left handed but have always shot a right handed bolt its all in what you get used to plus a right handed gun is much easier to resale or give to the kids.. I bought a browning silve/gold medallion 270 wsm and its the smoothes, sweetest gun I have ever shot!

I echo what others have already said, I also have a .300 Win Mag and have killed over 50 big game animals with it. It's a great flat shooting round and hits really hard. I'm pretty sure my next rifle will be a Kimber 8400 .300 WSM.

Good hunting,

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

with either one you will probably be happy, so go with your gut feeling----both shoot well out of the box---chris

Like you, I have always shot a 270 win, that is until about 7 years ago when I started hunting both deer and elk and wanted to use the same rifle. The 270 works but the 300 wby is my choice and I don't regret it for a minute. For me, I shoot a 300 vanguard that runs about $450 now. It comes factory with an adjustable trigger and I also (like gb22) shoot a limbsaver barrel de-resignator. I also shoot the 180 accubonds which are perfect for both long and short shots. My gun shoots sub-minute groups at 100 yards all day long. Recoil is felt but I also have a muzzlebreak for range stuff, just be sure to sight it in without the break if you don't plan on hunting with it. . I am a true beleiver in this set up after my Colorado hunt 3 years ago. I found my buck over a large canyon but could not get any closer then 568 yards, so since I practice up to 600, I decided I would take this shot. I dropped this buck with the first shot in his tracks. He was quartering away and the bullet went in just behind the ribs and exited the off shoulder, breaking it and putting him down on the spot. I am a beleiver in weatherbys. My son also shoots a weatherby in 270 WBY mag. ANother great gun for deer but I still prefer the 300.

Well guys, tomorrow I am picking up a 300 Tikka.... right handed bolt, but thats alright im not worried about it. and best of all i am keeping the .270! I am trading off a .243 ruger. I got 375 dollars for the ruger. So with the tikkas scope i am spending 277. I think thats a heck of a deal. what do you say? I also picked up a box of 300 win mag core lokt shells to mess with. I am getting a scope with the range finder deal in it. Its where u sight the cross hairs for 100, then it has a bubble right below that for 200, etc, out to 500 yards. Do you think those bubbles once u get out to 400 or 500 yards would be real accurate? I mean different calibers and different ammo shoot different? I know i will have to test it, but what do u think?
Thanks!

No. It was not a typo. I reload fairly seriously (since 1966) and the average of 25 shots was 3428. The variation was a total of 48 fps.

While trying to set up my gun and scope, I spent quite a while speaking to the people at Leupold. They added the bullet-drop compensator to the scope for only $79.95 (plus shipping). When I questioned the low price, they said, "it's not big deal, this is easy.....you're wondering why we don't put something like this on all scopes". When I agreed, they said just what you said, that various calibers, loads, bullets and individual guns shoot differently. The bubbles (or the lines that Leupold uses) are "close", but they cannot be truly accurate. I don't work for Leupold (I even suppose other manufacturers may do the same thing.), but a Leupold scope, with the (inexpensive) bullet-drop compensating turret really works well. I've actually shot rock chucks at 700 yards (laser rangefinder). The set up works well enough that I hit more than half of them. With a .300 Wby "pumped up" the shrapnel gets most of the rest of them.

I can aunestly say this! My best friend has owned hist tikka for 7 years now, he has killed every animal from a coyote up to a moose with that gun! It is also the most acurate gun i have seen But i still stick with my 300 weatherby :7

gb22 is right. The BDC dial is the way to go. You have to find your best load 1st and than send in the correct info, but once it's dialed in for your load, look out. I also questioned leupold about it's accuracy, but after my 1st trip to the range I put all those worries to rest. I killed a buck this year at 790 yds with this rig on top of my 300 WM.

Hope I dont start another Long range ethics argument!!!

When you get your Tikka Home buy some Talley lightweight scope mounts for it. I know most Tikka owners have not had any problems with the factory rings slipping but I did. The Talley's are a much better ring/mount system that you won't ever worry about.

http://www.talleyscoperings.com/

Beanman

I just sold my custom Rem 700 7mag, to buy a rem 700 300WSM SPS, I like it alot cause it's lighter then my custom rem was, and just as accurate, had a tikka 7mag a few years ago it shot well but I like remingtons better...

I have built hunting rifles for 30 years in every wildcat and standard caliber immaginable. I love the 300 weatherby and started hunting Colorado's deer factory in the 60's with one. No 300 weatherby will shoot a 180 grain bullet over 3400 fps period. You need to invest in a new chronograph because your old one lies. Next time you shoot through it aim a little low with your wife watching and then act all sick and hurt then she gives you OK to buy a new good one.

I have used the REM 300 Ultra Mag w/180 Scirroco the last 2 years. I love it. It would be my choice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom