300 grn. Barnes Expander MZ

azbiggame

Very Active Member
with a NV muzzie bull elk tag drawn, time to decide what bullet to use ? Tried a few of the new latest an greatest super bullets, but came back to My old stand by.Though the New muzzie bullets loaded with little effort and shot well enough,still the accuracy was the same.Old School theory here ? Opening morning came and went and the proof was and is here.A 300 grn. Barnes Expander MZ bullet with 95 grns of BH 209 and a Federal Primer.At 140 yds knocked my bull off his feet.Good enough here for future muzzie hunts ... Bruce & SilverGrand
3818920191120144522.jpg

They look like they'd fly a$$ over tea kettle but they do find the target. I've recovered probably 15 or so from my animals in the 20 years I've used them and ever one looks just like your picture.

I went through the same thing before my Arizona elk hunt in September, tried a bunch of new and improved bullets but the 300 grain barnes outshot them all. Terminal performance on a mature 8x7 herd bull at 197 yards was splendid, I used 84 grains by weight BH209. Congratulations on your success, I have a bunch of elk points in Nevada (20) so hopefully I can draw a non resident tag someday!

That is what I plan to use in Utah when I get picked. Wish I could use them in Colorado!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>That is what I plan to
>use in Utah when I
>get picked. Wish I could
>use them in Colorado!
>
>Yes! And the Colorado CPW needs to revisit their muzzleloader regs and at least let hunters use sabot bullets. It's BS! And the archer's would cry foul and say sabots are not primitive, but the archery equipment that they are using are not primitive anymore either

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-19 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]Killer bullets 300gr or the 250gr. Killed a lot of bears with 'em. Good blood loss with a bullet shaped like a mini trash can with the lid off. If I get the bullet back its always 100% weight retention.

I have used these bullets (both 300 and 250 grain) to kill numerous whitetail deer from 40 yds to 200 yds using 100 grns of either 777 or BH209. For the last several years I have been using the Knight version (Red Hot) which has an orange sabot and loads easier. Same accuracy and terminal performance. I have only recovered one of these bullets which passed length wise through a deer and was under the skin of a ham. It was a text book mushroom like the photo above. I hope to try one on a bull elk in the near future.

The above photo shows the bullet performed as advertised on my NV bull taken this past Oct and others have agreed about internal damage on their experiences.A great bullet choice in states that allow sabots ... Bruce & SilverGrand
98008201910281721201.jpg

Love that bullet when you won’t be sending it a long way, it’s an absolute smasher on deer never used it on an elk. The 290 TMZ is almost the same bullet with a plastic tip that helps the flight, out to 100 yards not much difference but at 150/200 it really helps. Love Barnes muzz bullets

Never tried the 300 grain. However, been shooting the 250 grain Expanders for 20 years-give or take.

Excellant performance on numerous deer and elk. Majority of our elk camp of 20 plus shot the Barnes. Recovered dozens and look just like your photo. ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom