300 H&H

D

D13er

I like all the new calibers and would like to own one of everthing but I get a little tickled at how little progress that has been made. I shoot a 300 H&H with 71.5 grains of RL22 and 180 grain partitions through a 26" shilen match barrel. Shoots 3124 fps. I know some of the newer designs shoot a little faster but in all reality you still gotta put'em in the lungs. I don't like shooting more than 400 yards and don't really like hearing about that 600 yard shooting. Yeah it's possible but damn risky in almost all field conditions.

JB

the old H&H cartridge has more to do with modern hotrod cartridges than any other. virtually every one of the modern belted cases are based on the H&H. (with the exception of the newer weatherby's, since about 1955 or so) most of them have the shoulder blown out a little sharper to hold a little more powder. even the original weatherby's were based on the H&H cartridge. the .300 and the .375 are both virtually the same case with different sized bullets. it's a great old cartridge that will still take anything on this continent. i prefer the .300 Winchester, but would take an H&H anyday. let me guess, yours is an old model 70?

I have just ordered two custom rifles from the Montana Rifleman. One is a 338-06 and the other is the 300 H&H. I agree the H&H is just as good as any of the new hot calibers. You just don't get the recoil. I love it. Same with the 338-06. I am selling my 338 win mag for that very reason.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom