300 Norma Improved build

I think this one is going to shoot.

Got some brass formed up, and going test some 225 ELDM's with N570 this weekend. Well, going to start with them at least and see how it goes. Then possibly 208 ELDM and 215 Berger's too.
IMG_4729.jpeg

Ty also just finished my other, heavier build. So I'll be pumped to get that one shooting for sure. I sold this one to a good buddy already and I'll just be doing the loading for him.

We're just old boys with more expensive toys!
And it still feels like Christmas morning.
I still wait looking out the window when I have a new scope or rifle or any shooting stuff that's supposed to get delivered haha. I'll be up until midnight loading ammo or setting up a new gun. I love it for sure!
I like doing it with "cheap" rifles. mtmuley
lol, that makes one of us ?. Cheap is definitely relative. I have a car worth $2k and a truck worth $12k. And two rifles worth more than both of them lol. I just spend money of stuff that's important to me. And I appreciate a well designed and built rifle, along with excellent optics ?

I think this one is going to shoot.

Got some brass formed up, and going test some 225 ELDM's with N570 this weekend. Well, going to start with them at least and see how it goes. Then possibly 208 ELDM and 215 Berger's too.
View attachment 110071

Ty also just finished my other, heavier build. So I'll be pumped to get that one shooting for sure. I sold this one to a good buddy already and I'll just be doing the loading for him.
That's some big Azz pants you put in your truck for a bed liner. Zipper pockets and the works.
Those musta belonged to Wiffy! :ROFLMAO:

lol, that makes one of us ?. Cheap is definitely relative. I have a car worth $2k and a truck worth $12k. And two rifles worth more than both of them lol. I just spend money of stuff that's important to me. And I appreciate a well designed and built rifle, along with excellent optics ?
You might be surprised at what a sub $1500 dollar rig can do. Now I have to rebarrel it so it will be a sub $2500 dollar rig. mtmuley

You might be surprised at what a sub $1500 dollar rig can do. Now I have to rebarrel it so it will be a sub $2500 dollar rig. mtmuley
Nah not at all. I’ve shot tons of guns. Expensive and cheap. Tikkas are like $800 and paired with an $800 optic normally shoot quite well. Pretty much any decent gun with decent optics can consistently kill out to a pretty good distance. Especially if they’re a heavier rifle and more stable on the target, and paired with a smaller cartridge. Can do, and can consistently do, are also very different things. And the bigger the cartridge the more finnicky the platform for accuracy is.

Couple groups from the 300 NMI today. This was 215 Berger’s with 91gr. N570
F65ACCC1-EF1A-4394-89A7-29F34F4DB5C5.jpeg

This was two separate groups with 225 ELDM’s with 88gr. N570. I just dialed down 1” to test it again at that load. 3 shot and 5 shot group.
72E357D7-DA40-456B-80AF-0348319747E3.jpeg

Also laid down and shot this continuous 5 shot group on video with my heavy 6.5 PRC with 140 Berger hybrids
9DDB869D-60CA-4990-A615-863926E1AD7C.jpeg

Nah not at all. I’ve shot tons of guns. Expensive and cheap. Tikkas are like $800 and paired with an $800 optic normally shoot quite well. Pretty much any decent gun with decent optics can consistently kill out to a pretty good distance. Especially if they’re a heavier rifle and more stable on the target, and paired with a smaller cartridge. Can do, and can consistently do, are also very different things. And the bigger the cartridge the more finnicky the platform for accuracy is.

Couple groups from the 300 NMI today. This was 215 Berger’s with 91gr. N570
View attachment 110170
This was two separate groups with 225 ELDM’s with 88gr. N570. I just dialed down 1” to test it again at that load. 3 shot and 5 shot group.
View attachment 110171

Also laid down and shot this continuous 5 shot group on video with my heavy 6.5 PRC with 140 Berger hybrids
View attachment 110172
4259.jpg

Wow. Here's one. Factory Remington BDL. J-Lock rifle. Thanks for the advice though. mtmuley

Thats a great group at distance. Did the hammers shoot like that also?
Haven't shot Hammers that far but plan to. Have some of the new prototypes right now. Accubonds shoot as well as the Berger. I hunted with Bergers one year then canned them. The rifle is crazy accurate for a factory rifle. I've figured out after shooting distance I will keep it to targets. Should really be a shooter after a new Lilja, Gre-Tan shroud and pin and a bed job. I'll stack it against any custom any day. mtmuley

Here’s one. 5 shot 1000 yard fully custom expensive 300 RUMView attachment 110181
Now that’s a hell of a group!

Thats a great group at distance. Did the hammers shoot like that also?
I shot my hammers out passed 1000 yards. Both in the 28N and 300 NMI. Groups kind of fall apart starting at around 700 yards (just a random number for reference). I think it’s just a factor of their crazy low BC not being able to maintain flight path through the environmentals or something. But say a berger with a .350 G7 BC shot like .6-7” at 100 yards and a hammer with a .230 G7 BC shot .4-.5” at 100 yards. The Berger would undoubtedly outperform it in group size at 1000 yards more consistently.

Maybe their new design with help with that. But their old BC’s are way over stated and come up pretty low when you true them up.

Nice. It might have been an off day when I shot mine. The rifle cost $619. mtmuley
Probably a 300 yard group and you just wrote 950 next it ?. I see what’s going on ?. Haha I’m just kidding, I’m sure you were aiming right at the edge of that 4’ white sheet of paper too.

Probably a 300 yard group and you just wrote 950 next it ?. I see what’s going on ?. Haha I’m just kidding, I’m sure you were aiming right at the edge of that 4’ white sheet of paper too.
I don't have any reason to lie. I can't spend 6K on a rifle. This one shoots as well as I need it to. Bet it still does after the rebarrel. My point was if you can shoot and know how to build loads this type of accuracy is attainable even with a poor man's rifle. mtmuley

I don't have any reason to lie. I can't spend 6K on a rifle. This one shoots as well as I need it to. Bet it still does after the rebarrel. My point was if you can shoot and know how to build loads this type of accuracy is attainable even with a poor man's rifle. mtmuley
Haha I know dude. And I agree. Just being a dickhead because what’s the fun in always being nice ?. Hope you kill a nice buck with that scatter gun this year! ?

I think you could take any factory rifle and throw a good barrel on it fit by a good gunsmith and it will shoot. Barrel is number one, barrel to action fit number two and action number 3 imo. Having a custom rifle built can insure that you are getting the best of all three. I have no doubt that you can get a factory rifle to shoot amazing. I just feel like buying a factory rifle can be a gamble. You might get a good one you might get crap. I just like to remove that gamble. I KNOW whatever I get from my gunsmith shoots better than I do.

I also love that if I do have any issues, I can drive over and get it fixed now.

I think you could take any factory rifle and throw a good barrel on it fit by a good gunsmith and it will shoot. Barrel is number one, barrel to action fit number two and action number 3 imo. Having a custom rifle built can insure that you are getting the best of all three. I have no doubt that you can get a factory rifle to shoot amazing. I just feel like buying a factory rifle can be a gamble. You might get a good one you might get crap. I just like to remove that gamble. I KNOW whatever I get from my gunsmith shoots better than I do.

I also love that if I do have any issues, I can drive over and get it fixed now.
I agree. Some of us are stuck in the factory rifle game. We do the best we can with what we have. Part of the fun for me I guess. mtmuley

You buy enough custom rigs and you get lemons too, just hurts more when you do.
Haha luckily that hasn’t happened to me. My gunsmith won’t give me a rifle until he shoots same hole with it several times. That way if it doesn’t for me he can blame it on me, not the rifle.

Haha luckily that hasn’t happened to me. My gunsmith won’t give me a rifle until he shoots same hole with it several times. That way if it doesn’t for me he can blame it on me, not the rifle.
Ya that's the only way to go, but most guys charge alot to work up a good load like that. They have to because they price in the occasional bad barrel etc.

Ya that's the only way to go, but most guys charge alot to work up a good load like that. They have to because they price in the occasional bad barrel etc.
My guy charges $200 to work up a load for people I think. Well worth it. Luckily he’s my good friend

Last edited:
This is where you lose me. It is really satisfying to work up loads on your own. A good feeling to take game with your own ammo. Lots of ways to do it. mtmuley
I agree I get great satisfaction from working up a great load. Plus you might have to make adjustments after a barrel speeds up or after some throat erosion.

You buy enough custom rigs and you get lemons too, just hurts more when you do.
I have a couple full custom guns, very accurate. But you know I bought my grandson a $475 Ruger American 7MM-08.
That gun with reloads will shoot a 5 shot one hole group just the same as my customs builds.
Only adjusted the trigger and torqued stock down to specs on the ruger then worked up a load. $5500 vs $475 lol !! I do know factory rifles are hit or miss but man that cheap gun will shoot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom